PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Scott Pioli might be gone next year, if Pats win SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off topic, but Pioli is connected to so many people in random ways. Belichick, of course. Parcells, his father-in-law (and he worked for him too). Mark Shapiro, Cleveland GM, is his close friend, and Shapiro is Mangini's brother-in-law.

Six degrees of Scott Pioli.

I don't think Pioli cares about "final control of football decisions." That's the thing, he's more or less the final say, but Belichick and him are such good friends and business partners that they come to a compromise or see eye-to-eye on such matters. Therefore, he doesn't need the technical "final say" because he already has it.

It's all just an overrated technicality. For all intents and purposes, Pioli has final say on football matters, whether that clause is in his contract or not.

I don't think he cares either. That wasn't the point. The point is all the league understands is absent that here he is fair game for any team willing to offer him final say. Including a team within this division. Kraft has no control over Pioli absent the GM title and/or control of football ops.

I dont see him leaving...at least not until BB does

(1) Belichick's under contract through 2013.
(2) I suspect Pioli knows that there really ain't a whole lot of places where the grass will be greener than it is here.
(3) To paraphrase Belichick, there's a certain challenge in maintaining greatness, not just creating it. Why start over now when he can be acknowledged as a key factor in maintaining the juggernaut of the salary cap era?
It really just comes down to money. Will Pioli pull a Bruschi and wave away big money and stay with greater potential continuing success?

Or will he pull a Vinatieri, or a Givens, or a Graham, or a Woody (sorry about that image)?

If Pioli were GM of the chargers, then they would have the coaching and the scouting. He could have them as SB contender in a couple of years. Ditto for the giants. That being said, I think he will stay until the dynasty is over, or at least until the decade is over. The patriots for the first ten years of Belichick still have a bit of history to write. And the Kraft's will try to keep the gang together.

I think the Chargers prove that you can have alot of talent, but if your coaching sucks, then your team is going to suck.

Pioli could easily get full GM control of another team, but without the scouting/coaching in place, he won't end up producing a super bowl contender.

Pioli, among avid patriots fans, is greatly appreciated. Pioli, among casual fans, is unknown. And I could see how that can potentially irk a person & make them want to go elsewhere.

The problem is that, like BB, other top coaches have full or partial GM control. So, I don't think Pioli is going to find a situation where he's got a top coaching staff, and is able to receive full GM control.

I hope he stays, because I think BB/Pioli make a great team. I won't fault him for leaving. I just don't think the sun is shining brightly on his destination city. And hopefully for him, to receive partial credit for building one of the great dynasties is more appealing than receiving full credit for building an average franchise.

If Pioli were GM of the chargers, then they would have the coaching and the scouting. He could have them as SB contender in a couple of years. Ditto for the giants. That being said, I think he will stay until the dynasty is over, or at least until the decade is over. The patriots for the first ten years of Belichick still have a bit of history to write. And the Kraft's will try to keep the gang together.

Don't kid yourself. The Chargers will likely be Super Bowl contenders this year.

Don't see him leaving, Bob Kraft has as deep a pockets as anyone, the goal for these guys will be to continue the greatness well into the second decade of this team. San Fran dominated the 90's and they are thought of highly, to continue this juggernaut for 10-15 years will be unparalled in the NFL.

It really just comes down to money. Will Pioli pull a Bruschi and wave away big money and stay with greater potential continuing success?

Or will he pull a Vinatieri, or a Givens, or a Graham, or a Woody (sorry about that image)?

Paul Allen waved a boatload of money and power at Pioli. Scott chose to stay. I'm not worried about him leaving for greener pastures, and more power and money. He's ours.

"I think if the steamrolling Patriots go on to win their fourth Super Bowl title in seven seasons, New England's vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli will finally get an offer to be another team's general manager that he can't turn down. Teams have come knocking on Pioli's door before, but he took a pass in order to stay with the Patriots, the NFL's team of the decade. But with another notch on his belt -- and another ring on his finger -- the time will be right for Pioli to cash in on the success he has been a big part of in New England.

Who would the potential suitors be? It's early, but logic tells you that Miami would love to steal his expertise away from its AFC East rivals. Cleveland, where Pioli started in the NFL while Bill Belichick coached the Browns, is another team that has had him on its radar screen. The Brownies are finally competitive this season, but if things should head south for them this year, general manager Phil Savage could quickly be back on the endangered list.

Other potential landing spots would be Detroit, where GM Matt Millen has lived on borrowed time for years now; Minnesota, which might come at Pioli with owner Zygi Wilf's deep pockets; Kansas City, if Carl Peterson's long reign is finally deposed; or Tampa Bay, if the Bruce Allen-Jon Gruden tandem fails to deliver a playoff berth this season, as seems necessary for future employment.

Pioli could always cross us up and again stay put. But if the Pats bag themselves a fourth Lombardi, Pioli's already glitzy resume would likely never look better."

That might come true, but I sure as hell hope he stays put until 2013. (Thanks ctpatsfan77)

The Seahawks made him a GREAT offer. I don't quite understand why he turned him down, but its hard to imagine anyone making him a substantially better offer than that. This makes me confident that, whatever his deal is with the Patriots, he'll stay put.

I understand that this author thinks that this might be the case. But really, show me the logic that says "Though Pioli hasn't left after 3 SBs he will after the fourth."

As far as I know, there is none.

I think that we should merg this topic with the "Journalistic Math" topic!:)

The logic is clearly 24. Clearly. I mean, I bet that they are going to offer him like 24 dollars or something so how can he not jump at that, and how can kraft ever compete?

Or maybe, he does not like way his shoes fit in New England? Ya know? Tight shoes could make me move to another place I can tell you that right here and now.

Granted, he probably wants a larger bag of Candy Corn than he gets from the krafts, so he may just up and leave because of that. (and this is probably the clinching factor by the way.)

Well, it will be easy for him to find another place similar to new england anyway. And, co-workers like bb and bosses like kraft are a dime a dozen.

Yawn, ... maybe he even goes on the road as a Carnie or something. He would make a good bobo the clown i bet.

Why are these writers so smart? I mean, do they have like a crystal ball, or a really high powered 8 ball thing that tells them the secrets of the universe?

Amazing.

So last year it was BB supposedly leaving based on absolutely no information, and now it's Pioli? These writers are really desperate for the dynasty to end and it's becoming more and more transparent.

This concerns me, I remember Jim Nantz saying the exact same thing about Belichek before the Patriots/Panthers SB and look what happened there........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes