PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone else get the sense that MangIdiot is getting desperate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He's got to know that his job is on the line if he doesn't win NOW - which I think explains their willingness to give up a 1st round draft choice for a QB who you can't expect to be available for one more season - if that.

And if he loses his job with the Jets, with it being known that he's a rat who will tattle on his former organization, who is going to hire him?

He's gambling the future of the organization in an effort to keep his job. If the trade for Favre goes through and there's anything less than a Super Bowl appearance (if not win) I think he's a gonner.

Heck - both Mangini and Tannenbaum are admitting that they have no confidence in their handpicked QB.

This could unravel pretty quickly for MangIdiot whether he lands Favre or not.

The Rat is definately nervous, it's now or it's back to a high-rise in Jersey as an entry-level bean counter. Rats aren't appreciated in the NFL................Maybe, just maybe after he's axed in January of 09, he can come crawling on his hands and knees and beg BB for his old job back, the original job, washing BB's car and brewing coffee for the office staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am as big a Jet hater as exists on planet earth. But this is a good move for the Jets. Clemens stinks and Pennington has little chance of beating an elite D due to his lack of arm strength.

Favre gives the jets a chance. Not a good chance, but a chance. That's all a team or fan base can ask for.

As for a 1st rd pick... 2 years of playoff football are worth a 1st rd pick to a moribund bastard of a franchise with a whiny, second rate fan base.

I am as big a Jet hater as exists on planet earth. But this is a good move for the Jets. Clemens stinks and Pennington has little chance of beating an elite D due to his lack of arm strength.

Favre gives the jets a chance. Not a good chance, but a chance. That's all a team or fan base can ask for.

As for a 1st rd pick... 2 years of playoff football are worth a 1st rd pick to a moribund bastard of a franchise with a whiny, second rate fan base.

There's no question that Favre is likely better than Pennington or Clemens.

But tell me, which 39 year old players in the NFL would you be willing to trade a #1 draft choice for, knowing that chances are they've only got one more good year in them?

Doesn't that strike you as just the slightest bit desperate?

Giving up a #1 draft choice who can be a top team contributor for the next 5-10 in return for a nearly 40 year old player who would probably only play for one more season?

Last edited:
There's no question that Favre is likely better than Pennington or Clemens.

But tell me, which 39 year old players in the NFL would you be willing to trade a #1 draft choice for, knowing that chances are they've only got one more good year in them?

Doesn't that strike you as just the slightest bit desperate?

Giving up a #1 draft choice who can be a top team contributor for the next 5-10 in return for a nearly 40 year old player who would probably only play for one more season?

You're absolutely right. it reeks of desperation.

The Jets have mortgaged everything for this season. If they lose at home to the Patriots in Week 2 it could get ugly in New Jersey.

if the jets don't have a first rounder, who's belichick going to bamboozle next year into taking an overrated player?

How is going out and getting a superstar QB who had his team in the championship game last year, a "desperate" move?

Desperate is signing a 59 year old LB like Junior Seau.

He's got to know that his job is on the line if he doesn't win NOW - which I think explains their willingness to give up a 1st round draft choice for a QB who you can't expect to be available for one more season - if that.

And if he loses his job with the Jets, with it being known that he's a rat who will tattle on his former organization, who is going to hire him?

He's gambling the future of the organization in an effort to keep his job. If the trade for Favre goes through and there's anything less than a Super Bowl appearance (if not win) I think he's a gonner.

Heck - both Mangini and Tannenbaum are admitting that they have no confidence in their handpicked QB.

This could unravel pretty quickly for MangIdiot whether he lands Favre or not.

It's only a first if the Jets get to the SB, so your point is moot. Yes, geting to the SB is worth a 1st round pick you moron.

I don't know if Mangini is desperate or Woody Johnson. When he announces next year that the PSLs are going to be upwards to $125k (that's the rumor anyway), he wants Jets fans to not look at the product on the field and ask why they would pay $1k - $125k for PSLs to a team that can't win.

Unfortunately for Johnson, this is a big gamble. If the Jets don't have a good year, fans will look even more negatively on the franchise than if they looked like they were building for the future and only had modest gains.

Mangini is desperate now. So is Tannenbaum. Even though Woody Johnson said their jobs are safe no matter what, I can't see how they keep their jobs if all they get is 7-8 wins. The Jets have sold the fans that they want to be a playoff competitor now and mortgaged part of the future to do it. They will not be happy with a .500 season and will call for Mangini's and Tannenbaum's heads.

Personally, I think Tangini are more on the hotseat than Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

How is going out and getting a superstar QB who had his team in the championship game last year, a "desperate" move?

Desperate is signing a 59 year old LB like Junior Seau.

How is signing a solid contributor like Seau for the veteran minimum desperate? Last time I checked Favre and Seau are around the same age. Seau is 39 and Favre is 38. Besides, the Pats got to the AFC Championship and Super Bowl in consecutive years with Seau who is just one player in a 53 man squad.

I think the entire offseason moves along with the trading for Favre reeks of desperation. Johnson is desperate to have a fast winner so he can sell his PSLs.

Last edited:
It's only a first if the Jets get to the SB, so your point is moot. Yes, geting to the SB is worth a 1st round pick you moron.

We all know damn well it won't be a round 1 pick so it's not even worth discussing. Maybe a round 2 or 3 at the most. Jr. Seau wasn't being counted on as the saviour so now way the two can be compared. Even with that said they only lost one damn game out of 19 but it sucked that it was the last one of the season. The Jets will sure as hell lose more then one game with Favre............LOL!

Last edited:
I thought he was desperate when he gave Damien Woody $25 million

How is signing a solid contributor like Seau for the veteran minimum desperate? Last time I checked Favre and Seau are around the same age. Seau is 39 and Favre is 38. Besides, the Pats got to the AFC Championship and Super Bowl in consecutive years with Seau who is just one player in a 53 man squad.

I think the entire offseason moves along with the trading for Favre reeks of desperation. Johnson is desperate to have a fast winner so he can sell his PSLs.

There's a world of difference between a 38 year old QB and a 38 year old LB.

I think a lot of fans here are in denial. The lack of anything resembling a real QB in the division has meant a free lunch for the Pats for years. That's over now. Unless you're going to seriously argue that Favre is no upgrade over Kellen Clements. Are you?

It's a brilliant signing by the Jets. Denial or not.

I think a lot of fans here are in denial. The lack of anything resembling a real QB in the division has meant a free lunch for the Pats for years. That's over now. Unless you're going to seriously argue that Favre is no upgrade over Kellen Clements. Are you?

Seau was a player in the defense. The defense didn't revolve around him. He was originally brought in to be a situational player (he originally was only going to play run downs) and only played more because he excelled at the position.

Favre will be the focal point of Jets offense. To compare him to Seau is ludicrious.

Favre is a definite upgrade, but I don't think he is going to be a difference maker. The guy sucked in 2005 and 2006. Who know if that is the Brett Favre the Jets are going to get not the 2007 Brett Favre. Favre from most accounts did little to stay in NFL shape this offseason. He doesn't know the Jets offense or has any continuity with the Jets' receivers. Those are huge hurtles to overcome.

I think the Jets have upgraded their QB position, but not by leaps and bounds. I have already said that if even Brady or Peyton Manning were in this same situation as Favre (no offseason preparation, new system, and new receivers with only four weeks to prepare for the regular season), they would struggle too.

Last edited:

LMAO!! The jets got better yes but better then the Patriots hell no...........nuff said. What's left to discuss? The Patriots win the AFCE again and the Jets will "try" and make the playoffs.

Favre doesn't know the offense or the wr's. Heck as a team Gholston has never played LB, is pace a 1 year wonder? Jenkins has never played NT and the Oline has yet to play a game together. The Jets have a ton of question marks. Don't get ahead of yourself, the Jets have a long ways to go to even be competitive.

Think about this also, Favre wanted to go the Vikings which didn't happen and his 2nd choice of the Bucs was a no go as well. Two teams sought his services one which he had no interest in playing with but ended up with anyhow because he had no choice. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after 1 season.

When he does leave which will be in 1 or 2 seasons what will be the future of the Jets then? Clemens? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Mangini and the front office along with WAY over paid or old and overated players like Pace, Woody, Coles, T. Jones and Faneca will be long gone.........can you say "REBUILD" ?

Last edited:

Do not see where it qualifies as brilliant. It is a good signing and will help the Jets this year, but with a mediocre D will not make all that much difference.

Favre is coming from an org where the O has not changed much in the time he was there, all new personnel, new coaches and and new playbook.. there is a learning curve. The playbook was catered to Clemens and Pennington, not to Favre.

Do not see where it qualifies as brilliant. It is a good signing and will help the Jets this year, but with a mediocre D will not make all that much difference.

Favre is coming from an org where the O has not changed much in the time he was there, all new personnel, new coaches and and new playbook.. there is a learning curve. The playbook was catered to Clemens and Pennington, not to Favre.

Jets fans are correct in that there's no harm in the loss of a 2nd or 3rd round pick since their coach and GM have no idea how to draft in the first place.

I stand corrected.

I also wrongly assumed that Jets fans want to win the Super Bowl, not just appear there.

Again, I stand corrected as for the Jets fans, making the playoffs is really the goal.

And there is no question that a QB who has 3 playoff wins and 5 losses since Mike Holmgren left Green Bay is the man for the job if indeed getting to the playoffs is the goal.

Now the question for MangIdiot is whether losing in the playoffs on a Favre interception is enough to help him keep his job.

You know what would be a stupid move? Failing to make a trade that would improve your team because you're afraid of "looking desperate."

Yes, this trade reeks of desperation. But at least it's an Hail-Mary shot at a rescue, rather than just sticking your head in the sand and pretending Chad and Kellen are going to get you to the promised land. IOW, I don't think "desperate move" and "good move" are mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes