PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you feel the Patriots were too confident/arrogant this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
p.s. - my final post.
I wish you were here to defend what you said...I really would...it's NOT in the nature of a true fan who believes something as you have..to be chalenged and run away..If you can back it up with more information that is GREAT!! I want to understand all of what you know...you made a charge against an organization..with NO back up....But I guess that will not happen.
As for WHY there might be more out there now..there are all kinds of Patriot haters who in the last 2 days before the game have brought all that up...the NY media has tried digging up ALL KINDS of things..either you are naive of what is going on..or part of it..and your "final' words about spygate fit in with more of a Patriot hater than with ANY kind of a fan...

Last edited:
I don't think so. Read a great Lombardi quote the other day: Football is blocking & tackling. That's it.

They didn't block well enough. And if they had tackled Eli on that one pass, they win the game. Period. Their confidence or arrogance or whatever you want to call it didn't matter.

I don't think the line got abused because they were overconfident.

Ummm, much as I'd like to think otherwise. Yes, I think we were. EVERYONE, players, coaches, fans. We all are a little guilty of it.

I think we forgot what being like the Giants was all about. We had become the RAMS, and then some :eek:

Ummm, much as I'd like to think otherwise. Yes, I think we were. EVERYONE, players, coaches, fans. We all are a little guilty of it.

I think we forgot what being like the Giants was all about. We had become the RAMS, and then some :eek:
Only a bit...the players?? Maybe a bit..not at all..have to give better examples...

I think they were too confident and perhaps even a little arrogant. Here are just 2 examples, although I remember seeing a couple more from other posters:

1. The uncharacteristic comments by Brady re: scoring only 17 points. This is now played repeatedly by all the media outlets and we don't need to discuss it anymore here.

2. The Patriots attempting to trademarked "19-0, The Perfect Season" only to find out that it already was by the Boston Herald trying to capitalize on the situation with their book. I think this act by the Patriots as an organization showed that they were at least counting their chickens before they're hatched and that's never a good thing. At worst it shows that the organization itself was too confident and/or arrogant, assuming that their winning is a foregone conclusion. Some may dismiss it as purely a business decision. Like trying to register a web address before anyone else, just in case. That may be, but it gave the wrong impression.

The bottom line I think is that the players themselves can only eat humble pie so long and buy into what Belichick was telling them for so much before they lose focus. What I meant by this is that Belichick would tell the team before every Sunday why they should fear this team or that team. Or why this team or that could beat them or whatever. But after a while, the players started to see that no matter what, they were winning. I think as human beings you can only take this so far before don't believe it anymore. That may have happened here. Just a thought.

We didn't play well offensively and it costed us a game.

The fact that Tom was sacked and knocked down in all quarters tells us that our coachs didn't make any adjustment at all.

The players and coachs did not do their job and it is where we are at this point. Who would predict that Pats only scored 2 TDs in a 60 minute game.?

Normally, you will see BB to discuss a new plan for our O and D if nothing goes well but we didn't see that. Somebody must be hold accountable for this loss.

UNBELIEVABLE.!

Last edited:
Absolutely. It's obviously that the game was largely won in the trenches (disregard, for a minute, the fact that we also got outcoached if you feel this way, and I do) but isn't this just a result of the Giants just wanting it more? Weren't they just the hungrier team? Why? Because we were overconfident. I think the team was blinded by the bright lights of immortality a little bit, even the coaching staff. When did you hear Belichick talk about all the things the Giants do well before the game? I didn't . I heard him say on Friday that the team was 'ready' . Knowing BB, that just didn't sound right. Brady's comments.

We had the better team, but the Giants were hungrier. I think the analogy of the Giants being the 2001 Patriots to our Rams is very poignant

I believed that Pats was hungry for 19-0. There is no question about it. Something happened in Pats organization last week and we didn't know what was going on internally last week.

Perhaps, we will have the answers in the next few months because somebody will talk because they are not happy with 18-1.

All i can say is It was not the team that everybody knows.

I believed that Pats was hungry for 19-0. There is no question about it. Something happened in Pats organization last week and we didn't know what was going on internally last week.

Perhaps, we will have the answers in the next few months because somebody will talk because they are not happy with 18-1.

All i can say is It was not the team that everybody knows.
How do you KNOW something was going on....????? where how..source???

.The Patriots attempting to trademarked "19-0, The Perfect Season" only to find out that it already was by the Boston Herald trying to capitalize on the situation with their book. I think this act by the Patriots as an organization showed that they were at least counting their chickens before they're hatched and that's never a good thing. At worst it shows that the organization itself was too confident and/or arrogant, assuming that their winning is a foregone conclusion. Some may dismiss it as purely a business decision. Like trying to register a web address before anyone else, just in case. That may be, but it gave the wrong impression.
We have NO idea about how teams copywrite things..and when..
the fact that one can find things out on the net a LOT easer now..goes a long way to discovering things. 10 years ago even, this would have been done..no one would know and there would NOT have been an issue.

I think they did not follow the pattern of the other teams, they thought this was a moot point... They should have known better.

How do you KNOW something was going on....????? where how..source???

Just watch the game and you will have your answer. Here are my questions:

1-Why was there no change when Tom was sacked and knocked down every quarter.? What happened to adjustment.?
2- Giants used pass rush against Cowsboy and GreenBay. Of course, Pats knew it. Why did they not do anything to STOP it in the beginning.? We faced Giants before. In order for a vertical passing to work, your OL has to be STRONG so that Tom has enough time to throw the ball. We didn't see that.

I think the team was arrogant as to their gameplan offensively. However, perhaps they were thinking it would end up like the Chargers when they ran out of gas. But the Giants didn't run out of gas ... oh well!!!

Yes, in a way. There seemed to be oddities about their approach to this game. In truth, I think they wanted to get this game over with and get on with their lives because they were sick of being hounded by the media (95% of them Patriot haters) and by Senator Spector (who needs to stay out of the sports business). I'm sure the two weeks between the AFCCG and the SB is the hardest two weeks of the year and they did have an understanding that they were trying to be the best of all time. Perhaps that hurt them as the Giants were obviously better locked in on this game. I am a Tom Coughlin fan so I am happy for Tom.

They all got hammered by a team that was faster and sharper on the mark than they were. Even with all that went wrong, they had chances to close the deal and for whatever reason, including divine intervention, it did not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes