PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we have a job opening at RB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd drop Eckel for Dillon in a millisecond.

not today. eckel's great on special teams. corey, whom i respect to the heights, is not going to bring it after nine months of retirement.

You could try Chad Jackson at RB. Good players can play more than one position...I think he could do it. Just run low and be quick about it. Worth a shot. As it is he's going to be about 6th on the WR depth chart, so if he wants to be activated, he has to be somewhat flexible.

If Dillon is willing to accept being a role player, he would be the ideal solution amongst all available candidates. They certainly can't trade for anyone and I can't think of any other players out of the game that would be better... Well except for maybe Barry Sanders :D

Although actually, FWIW, I don't think Barry Sanders is a UFA since he left in the middle of a contract with the Lions... so he wouldn't be an option.

You could try Chad Jackson at RB. Good players can play more than one position...I think he could do it. Just run low and be quick about it. Worth a shot. As it is he's going to be about 6th on the WR depth chart, so if he wants to be activated, he has to be somewhat flexible.
That's the sort of thing that might work at Univ. of Fla., but not in the National Football League.

We did work out Barlow after Morris went down. I'm definitely not a Barlow fan, but I wouldn't be against signing him up if Dillon can't hack it. Barlow was good as the change of pace back for SF his rookie year.

you guys need burner turner , or to just draft the next LT (darren mcfadden)

technically you don't even need a rb, never have, but with turner or mcfadden, yikes.

I would think they would add one only because I am not sure who will pick up the slack as the cold weather hits and they need more of a ground attack. Morris was really perfect for this team as he could hammer into the line, go outside or catch the screen. The real problem is what happens if either Maroney or Faulk go down. There is a large void there and scrambling at that point to bring one in would be dangerous. A larger more punishing inside running back is what is needed. There is also the playoff run which will test this team further. My guess is that there will be a move during the vye week. Eckel will be cut; returned to the PSqd ala SThomas and another brought in for the rest of the season.

I don't think they'll do anything unless another RB gets injured. If Maroney can't handle it then what did they draft him for? Faulk will get reps, Evans a few and Eckel for late game cleanup.

I would think they would add one only because I am not sure who will pick up the slack as the cold weather hits and they need more of a ground attack. Morris was really perfect for this team as he could hammer into the line, go outside or catch the screen. The real problem is what happens if either Maroney or Faulk go down. There is a large void there and scrambling at that point to bring one in would be dangerous. A larger more punishing inside running back is what is needed. There is also the playoff run which will test this team further. My guess is that there will be a move during the vye week. Eckel will be cut; returned to the PSqd ala SThomas and another brought in for the rest of the season.

If a larger more punishing RB were available I have no doubt they would bring one in...:rolleyes:

Do you guys actually think that in week 10 there will be a back available with both the talent to replace what Morris represented and the capacity to pick up the blocking schemes on the fly who has not been grabbed up by one of the half dozen teams who are desperate for any RB this season...

Early on they were sputtering a bit around the goaline and pounding the ball even with Morris wasn't cutting it. Then Tom learned to trust his myriad of receivers. The running game for this team will be a complimentary game from here on out, weather be dammed. If we get past the Colts, who themselves are thin at the position with an UDFA from the CFL backing up Addai and no one like Faulk in the mix, I just don't see the need to add what would essentially be some other scrub who doesn't know the scheme and is available because he hasn't cut it anywhere else.

Dillon is a last resort option only if Maroney can't finally stay on the field. He'd be a month long game day inactive at best if he were signed today. BTW Maroney is not going to be asked to pound the rock in case you hadn't noticed, and he's not going to be asked to consistently attempt 25+ carries a game either. Bill is done trying to pound a square peg into a round hole because you only get the peg all dinged up. Morris was added first, before they knew they would have a WR corps that will set team and possibly league records for production. Next year we may again need that option depending on which WR's remain and how durable Maroney and Faulk present in the second half. This year, not so much.

I think they stick with what they have for now, time for Maroney to stay on the field and perform like a first round pick.

Reiss has a good analysis, with Eckel contributing on special teams there is no need to release him unless Faulk or Maroney get dinged.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/11/rb_analysis.html

A list of some of the possible scrubs who could be brought in off the street:
http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=690860

- Of the list one name I am a little curious about is Vernon Hayes, he used to be an ok FB/RB hybrid with special teams ability. Not sure what he has left.
- Barlow is an under achiever but he did have a good game against the Pats last year when he was with the Jets
- Wali Lundy - I think the Pats worked him out at one point but went with Eckel instead

Full list (I think a few of these guys have been signed since the article was posted)
Running Back
Corey Dillon
Kevan Barlow
Domanick Williams
Wali Lundy
Verron Haynes
Eric Shelton
Dee Brown
Duce Staley
Ciatrick Fason
Tony Hollings
Lee Suggs
Josh Scobey
Cedric Cobbs
Stephen Davis
Jamal Robertson
Tony Fisher
Larry Croom
Jarrett Payton
James Mungro
DeAndra Cobb

Last edited:
Yeah. Interesting that The Giants have come together without that prima donna.

If you watch their games as opposed to just looking at their record, saying that the Giants have come together is a bit of a stretch. They aren't carping at Coughlin as much, but that's because he's morphed into a hugger to save his career. They aren't playing well consistently, just Plex makes a few/enough plays and they are facing even worse teams than themselves. Eli's QB rating in the London Bowl was catestrophic, but they were facing a team that now can't win on any continent. Tiki is an annoying yapper with a celebrity ego, but at the end of the day he was right about the Giants. Just shouldn't have said it out loud in public.

Yeah. Interesting that The Giants have come together without that prima donna.

Are talking about the most articulate, intelligent football player in the last decade?

Last edited:
Heath Evans is the weakest starter this team has. Eckle gives the storytime tribute to the coach's father. Faulk is your man for the 3rd and 8 screen but not the 2nd and 2 run. And without getting into the 'made out of glass' diatribe of 3 or 4 weeks ago, Maroney is somewhat injury prone.

They need to pick up who they think is the best available vet and get him in gameshape. Honestly, they don't really need to activate him until Decemer since the point of the season is to prepare for the 3 games in Jan/Feb - not go 16-0. Dillon would be a nice story I suppose. If the Morris IR had been divulged earlier, I would have been in favor SP hitting the streets for a good backup but that just aint happening now.

Last edited:
Pending further injury I think they stand pat. They added Eckle AFTER Morris went down. It's past the trade deadline and there isn't anything available any better than the guys on the roster. Someone could land on waivers down the stretch, but with our record and the need on other teams I doubt anyone better than what we have would make it to us.

No they didn't. They added Eckel before Morris went down. Eckel was getting carries at the end of games with Maroney out. Eckel was signed to the practice squad prior to week 1 and then activated after week 3. Morris went down in week 6 against Dallas.

Dillon, even if he wanted to, would be of little use to us until he got into football shape, if he could now without tweeking something, which at this juncture would be around Christmas.

I tend to agree that Dillon would take too long to get ready. There are other RBs out there the Pats can look at.

The Colts have Addai and a CFL UDFA as his backup. We have Maroney with Faulk to spell him and change the pace, and Evans and Eckle to bang it when necessary. If the line does it's job in run blocking, that should be sufficient given the receiving weapons we have.

The problem with Faulk is that he hasn't had an injury free season in awhile.. Prior to the start of the season, it was he and Maroney that I was worried about injury wise.. Not Morris. Now, I see the situation as scarily familiar to 2005.. We just have to pray that Maroney and Faulk stay healthy.

I Say Go after Tiki!!

I don't believe that Tiki is available. I believe that the Giants own his rights because he retired with years left on his contract.

I think they stick with what they have for now, time for Maroney to stay on the field and perform like a first round pick.

Reiss has a good analysis, with Eckel contributing on special teams there is no need to release him unless Faulk or Maroney get dinged.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/11/rb_analysis.html

A list of some of the possible scrubs who could be brought in off the street:
http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=690860

- Of the list one name I am a little curious about is Vernon Hayes, he used to be an ok FB/RB hybrid with special teams ability. Not sure what he has left.
- Barlow is an under achiever but he did have a good game against the Pats last year when he was with the Jets
- Wali Lundy - I think the Pats worked him out at one point but went with Eckel instead

Full list (I think a few of these guys have been signed since the article was posted)
Running Back
Corey Dillon
Kevan Barlow
Domanick Williams
Wali Lundy
Verron Haynes
Eric Shelton
Dee Brown
Duce Staley
Ciatrick Fason
Tony Hollings
Lee Suggs
Josh Scobey
Cedric Cobbs
Stephen Davis
Jamal Robertson
Tony Fisher
Larry Croom
Jarrett Payton
James Mungro
DeAndra Cobb

I believe that Scobey is in Seattle as a kick returner.

Of that List, only Stephen Davis has really done anything. And he hasn't played in 2 years..

James Mungro could be intriguing.. He did fairly well when he was the 2nd back to Rhodes when James was injured..

I'm not sure if Domenick (Davis) Williams has any knees left.

I believe that Scobey is in Seattle as a kick returner.

Of that List, only Stephen Davis has really done anything. And he hasn't played in 2 years..

James Mungro could be intriguing.. He did fairly well when he was the 2nd back to Rhodes when James was injured..

I'm not sure if Domenick (Davis) Williams has any knees left.

I think you are right about Scobey. You reminded me, there are rumors that Rhodes will be cut from Oakland so I guess he can be added to the rumor list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3