PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Difference from 1st Giant game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Differences in the Giants' favor for the SB from the Week 9 game:

First off - It will be played on a neutral field instead of Pats home field.

Offense:

#1 WR Hakeem Nicks, #1 RB Ahmad Bradshaw, starting center David Baas, starting fullback Henry Hynoski, all back in the lineup

For the Patriots, Carter/Haynesworth gone (both wrecked a lot of havoc in that game, Carter alone had 8 pressures in that game)

Defense:

Chase Blackburn at MLB (defense much better with him in both run and pass).

JPP starting over Osi, Osi becomes situational pass rusher on 3rd downs. In week 9, Osi was the starter. Giants defense is a lot better when JPP starts over Osi, cause he plays the run wayyyyy better. Pats can forget about running the ball at JPP.

If the Giants beat the Pats on their own turf (with the Pats coming off a loss, and they never lose back to back games) without all those things I just mentioned above....how can they possibly lose now after all these new additions in their favor? The positive difference is enormous for the Giants. They will win this game, and it won't be that close either.

34-21 Giants.

Bradshaw is a negligible improvement.

Ahmad Bradshaw is an enormous improvement, especially vs. the Pats.

The Pats have no problem with big bruisers who run up the middle like Jacobs due to Wilfork's presence. They struggle with shifty, agile, slippery RBs like Bradshaw, a guy who makes violent cuts.

The weakness of the Pats run defense is on the edges, as well as in space, and Bradshaw will exploit that, because that is exactly where Bradshaw excels.

If the Pats come out and play a nickle Cover 2 defense, Giants can use the shotgun draw to Bradshaw to find space underneath for big, explosive runs. If this does happen, Pats will be forced to play the run - which will lead to big plays in the passing game.

If the Giants beat the Pats on their own turf (with the Pats coming off a loss, and they never lose back to back games) without all those things I just mentioned above....how can they possibly lose now after all these new additions in their favor? The positive difference is enormous for the Giants. They will win this game, and it won't be that close either.

Keep dreaming....... Pats held the Giants to 10 points in that game until the last 3 minutes...... Then Eli led them on 2 rapid TD drives while we basically had special teamers in our secondary. Giants struggled mightily against our defense in game 9 for the most part. Our defense is much better at this point.

So is your offense with those 2 guys in there, so I do think you will score on us.... I predict 20-24 points.

I think that our offense can scorch your mediocre defense, as long as Brady is protected and he avoids costly picks. We shot ourselves in the foot the last time we played, by playing sloppy ball through 2 3/4 quarters. Out of 9 drives, we has 2 Ints, 1 fumble, and 1 missed FG. Generally, if you do that during a game, you get blown out. We barely lost in the last 30 seconds of that game.

Once we got on track..... we scored 20 points in 20 minutes of football and moved the ball at will on you.

The Pats have no problem with big bruisers who run up the middle like Jacobs due to Wilfork's presence. They struggle with shifty, agile, slippery RBs like Bradshaw, a guy who makes violent cuts.

The weakness of the Pats run defense is on the edges, as well as in space, and Bradshaw will exploit that, because that is exactly where Bradshaw excels

You obviously don't watch much Patriots ball lately. Ray Rice is that exact kind of runner that excels in space, and he is way better then Bradshaw. He was basically taken out of the game last week. We can be very stout against the run.

Plus, I believe we can seal Eli in the pocket and he is much less effective from there then if we allow him to scramble.

Last edited:
"Keep dreaming....... Pats held the Giants to 10 points in that game until the last 3 minutes...... "
------------------

Find me an offense in this league that wouldn't take a huge hit when playing without their best receiver (one who requires double coverage nonetheless) , best running back, starting center, and starting fullback.

Your defensive performance for the majority of that game was a mirage due to facing a badly depleted offense......and yet you STILL couldn't stop them when it really mattered.

So go ahead, keep clinging onto that.....you'll be in for a rude awakening come Sunday.

Last edited:
And out of everything I listed, that doesn't even include Gronkowski being injured and not 100% - the biggest factor of all.

In Week 9, with a healthy Gronk and healthy offense basically, you put up just 20 points, with the final 7 points coming on a do-or-die 4th and 8 where Gronk clearly pushed off on Boley. On top of that, you had 3 turnovers.

If you struggled this badly on offense with Gronk at 100%....what will happen now with Gronk at, say, 70%? What about 60%? 50%? He's only your best weapon and the main guy who draws the attention on offense

If the Giants realize after a few series that Gronk isn't his normal self and they can cover Gronk 1-on-1 (with Kenny Phillips most likely), and can then rush 4 and double-team/eliminate both Welker and Hernandez, how will your offense move the ball then? Brady will get man coverage on Branch and an injured Gronk. It'll be do or die with those 2. Good luck lol

Last edited:
"I think that our offense can scorch your mediocre defense, as long as Brady is protected and he avoids costly picks. We shot ourselves in the foot the last time we played, by playing sloppy ball through 2 3/4 quarters. Out of 9 drives, we has 2 Ints, 1 fumble, and 1 missed FG. Generally, if you do that during a game, you get blown out. We barely lost in the last 30 seconds of that game."
-----------------

Your missed FG is cancelled out by our fumble on the punt return handing you the ball in our own territory for a gift FG

The Giants D finished in the Top 5 in forcing turnovers this year (so them forcing turnovers in that game is not really flukish) , they're probably in Brady's head by now, and Brady threw a couple picks vs. the Ravens, it's not unlikely that Brady turns the ball over some in this game. Especially with the fast turf benefitting the Giants pass rushers. You better believe Brady will feel Osi coming around that edge on that turf.

Last edited:
and anyone instead of Haynesworth who was the worst player on the field for the 9 snaps he got.

I rewatched the game the other night and it was amazing the contrast with him. On two plays he blew up the center of the Giants line and drew a key penalty on one of them that killed a Giants drive. On the others I think at 185 pounds I might have held the point of attack better.

What a waste of talent.

In the first Giant game, on defense"
DL-
Deaderick was playing in his 2nd game after just 15 snaps the week before
Ellis was out
Haynesworth was in
Carter was in
Anderson played 19 snaps
Brace played 15 and Warren 17

Looks like the difference is Deaderick should be better, Ellis is available, Andeson instead of Carter, and anyone instead of Haynesworth who was the worst player on the field for the 9 snaps he got

LB-
Mayo was in his first full game back from injury after limited play in week 8
Spikes played 39 and was injured before the end of the game
Ninko played 49
Guyton played 26
Tracy White played 7 awful snaps in crunch time
Fletcher did not play

We will be much better at LB in the SB than that day

DB-
Arrington and McCourty played 141 snaps in 72 plays, All by McC and all but 3 for Arirington
Philip Adams was the only nickel corner, playing 35 snaps. No other corners played
Chung played every play but 1, Barrett (1st game back from injury) 39 and Ihedigbo 33 split the other, and Sergio Brown play 1 fateful snap.(the one Chung was out)

So we played base 37 plays, nickel 35 and dime ZERO. That is very, very interesting. We did not play 6 DBs on any plays and only 4 on more than half.

I think no Adams and no Barrett makes us better in this game than last, with Moore replacing Adams, and Ihidigbo replacing Barrett.

Offensively, it is also interesting
At RB it was:
Woodhead 42
BJGE 29
Ridley 4
This could be totally different on Sunday

85 played 18 ineffective snaps at WR and Solder 23 at TE

This game may have been more out of character for our offense than any other this year.

This is good work. Losing Andre Carter is a bigger deal than almost anything else here. Mayo being back at full speed is a key difference, but Carter was the man, especially after Haynesworth was excised.

This does not bode well for Ochocinco - the offense was impotent that day (although Brady went for 340) with 85 getting 18 snaps.

The other observation is why the Patriots didn't run BJGE at Pierre Paul more often. He is very susceptible to the run, particularly when he's looping around in a pass rush - which is most of the time.

Ihedigbo and Moore in place of Adams and Barrett does not give me much confidence, although Moore has a knack for making the right play. There's good speed in the defensive backfield that matches the speed of the Giants receiving corps. It's youth against youth back there on the biggest stage yet.

Last edited:
And out of everything I listed, that doesn't even include Gronkowski being injured and not 100% - the biggest factor of all.

In Week 9, with a healthy Gronk and healthy offense basically, you put up just 20 points, with the final 7 points coming on a do-or-die 4th and 8 where Gronk clearly pushed off on Boley. On top of that, you had 3 turnovers.

If you struggled this badly on offense with Gronk at 100%....what will happen now with Gronk at, say, 70%? What about 60%? 50%? He's only your best weapon and the main guy who draws the attention on offense

If the Giants realize after a few series that Gronk isn't his normal self and they can cover Gronk 1-on-1 (with Kenny Phillips most likely), and can then rush 4 and double-team/eliminate both Welker and Hernandez, how will your offense move the ball then? Brady will get man coverage on Branch and an injured Gronk. It'll be do or die with those 2. Good luck lol

Please please do this. That would be one of the biggest mistakes ever. :nono:

So are we carrying 4 RBs tomorrow? I would imagine BJGE, Ridley, Woodhead and Faulk see playing time.

Faulk is another guy who didn't play in the week 9 matchup against the Gnats.

By running the ball out of passing formations.

AJ, one of the things that's been forgotten was how well the Pats D played for most of the first 3 quarters. It is interesting to note that part of that improvement was due to Barrett's play. He didn't play much this season, but he showed in that short 39 snaps that he might have made big difference if he had stayed healthy.

BTW- IIRC I thought Brown played most of the last 2 drives, not just one play. Can I get a confirmation one way or the other.

Officially 1 play, but it was probably actually 2 as the pi wasn't an actual play.

I actually hope that EightFive is inactive tomorrow. Something about that guy just makes me think he could randomly catch an 80 yard TD in the SB after doing nothing all season (playing possom?) that is something Ocho would do.

The qb analyist (Simms/boomer) each had a WR playing huge in this game. One had Branch the other Ocho. I was thinking before I read that comment, that the Patriots might emphasize throwing to the wideouts with so much defensive mindset on our big three?

Aside from the utter lack of insight into offensive and defensive football, your big mistake here is thinking that you can take one of the 2 worst games by an offense in a season, and use it as the starting point for what that offense is. It doesnt work that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I think that our offense can scorch your mediocre defense, as long as Brady is protected and he avoids costly picks. We shot ourselves in the foot the last time we played, by playing sloppy ball through 2 3/4 quarters. Out of 9 drives, we has 2 Ints, 1 fumble, and 1 missed FG. Generally, if you do that during a game, you get blown out. We barely lost in the last 30 seconds of that game."
-----------------

Your missed FG is cancelled out by our fumble on the punt return handing you the ball in our own territory for a gift FG

The Giants D finished in the Top 5 in forcing turnovers this year (so them forcing turnovers in that game is not really flukish) , they're probably in Brady's head by now, and Brady threw a couple picks vs. the Ravens, it's not unlikely that Brady turns the ball over some in this game. Especially with the fast turf benefitting the Giants pass rushers. You better believe Brady will feel Osi coming around that edge on that turf.

It's ok to post opinion on your site. The problem is when you go to a visitors site and spew that garbage. Tom F'n Brady: You say "there probably in his head by now". Have you ever seen Brady play a game after a bad one? Take that in combination with the enormous chip on his shoulder. Pats win this game, and Brady ranks as possilby the best ever. Now, go ahead and post again how the Giants are in Brady's head.

Ummmm, you do realize that on of the teams better then the Giants at forcing turnovers is New England, right? (2.1 TOs per game vs. 1.9). By your logic, our Defense should be "well up in Eli's head" then too, right? :confused:

Probably even more so given that Eli is 25% more likely to throw an interception then Brady is. Eli has thrown 16 to Tom's 12.

Differences in the Giants' favor for the SB from the Week 9 game:

First off - It will be played on a neutral field instead of Pats home field.

Offense:

#1 WR Hakeem Nicks, #1 RB Ahmad Bradshaw, starting center David Baas, starting fullback Henry Hynoski, all back in the lineup

For the Patriots, Carter/Haynesworth gone (both wrecked a lot of havoc in that game, Carter alone had 8 pressures in that game)

Defense:

Chase Blackburn at MLB (defense much better with him in both run and pass).

JPP starting over Osi, Osi becomes situational pass rusher on 3rd downs. In week 9, Osi was the starter. Giants defense is a lot better when JPP starts over Osi, cause he plays the run wayyyyy better. Pats can forget about running the ball at JPP.

34-21 Giants.

Hard to argue your points from an objective standpoint. But, this game will come down to Brady. If he plays a special game, I like our chances despite your obvious points. Clearly, everyone in the world feels as you do, so it would be silly to dismiss your analysis. We're left to hang our hopes on Brady and an (hopefully) underestimated defense.

Brady is healthy this time

Exactly.

Remember the black band he had around his elbow for that game and a few others in the middle of the season?

Haven't seen it in months.

Ray Rice says hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes