PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Difference from 1st Giant game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Differences in the Giants' favor for the SB from the Week 9 game:

First off - It will be played on a neutral field instead of Pats home field.

Offense:

#1 WR Hakeem Nicks, #1 RB Ahmad Bradshaw, starting center David Baas, starting fullback Henry Hynoski, all back in the lineup

For the Patriots, Carter/Haynesworth gone (both wrecked a lot of havoc in that game, Carter alone had 8 pressures in that game)

Defense:

Chase Blackburn at MLB (defense much better with him in both run and pass).

JPP starting over Osi, Osi becomes situational pass rusher on 3rd downs. In week 9, Osi was the starter. Giants defense is a lot better when JPP starts over Osi, cause he plays the run wayyyyy better. Pats can forget about running the ball at JPP.

If the Giants beat the Pats on their own turf (with the Pats coming off a loss, and they never lose back to back games) without all those things I just mentioned above....how can they possibly lose now after all these new additions in their favor? The positive difference is enormous for the Giants. They will win this game, and it won't be that close either.

34-21 Giants.

I really wanted to try to take your post seriously and assume you knew what you were talking about, and then you tried to tell me JPP wasn't a horrible liability vs the run. Of course it explains why you have the prediction way off too.

If the Giants realize after a few series that Gronk isn't his normal self and they can cover Gronk 1-on-1 (with Kenny Phillips most likely), and can then rush 4 and double-team/eliminate both Welker and Hernandez, how will your offense move the ball then? Brady will get man coverage on Branch and an injured Gronk. It'll be do or die with those 2. Good luck lol

I know "chicks dig the long ball" but an offense can move the ball other ways than merely through the air.

At least OURS can.

If BB chooses, I like our OL's chances of steamrolling your DL sprinters for 150-200 yds on the ground tomorrow.

Last edited:
Gronk wasn't hurt

The difference between this game and the first Giants game is that when the Patriots took the field the Patriots took the field for the first game they hadn't won ten games in a row.

The difference between this game and the first Giants game is that when the Patriots took the field the Patriots took the field for the first game they hadn't won ten games in a row.

That's a GOOD thing for the Giants.

It means you are due for a loss. You have won 10 straight, which means the streak is bound to end, and end soon. Law of averages in the NFL.

The worst possible time to face the Pats is actually when they're coming off a loss, like in Week 9. The Pats almost never lose back to back games. But they did that day, which says a lot.

When you can beat the Pats to put them on a losing streak....that is a very alarming sign because of how difficult that is to do.

Last edited:

It means you are due for a loss. You have won 10 straight, which means the streak is bound to end, and end soon. Law of averages in the NFL.

The worst possible time to face the Pats is actually when they're coming off a loss, like in Week 9. The Pats almost never lose back to back games. But they did that day, which says a lot.

When you can beat the Pats to put them on a losing streak....that is a very alarming sign because of how difficult that is to do.

If you have watched the NFL for more than a season you know that the previous matchup between two teams has little to no impact on the outcome of the oncoming game. The Patriots demolished the Jets 45-3 in december of 2010, how did the playoff game between them turn out again? And really, talking about "they are due to lose a game". Honestly, are you a 13 year old? What kind of half-assed analysis is that? And by the way you structured your agument, one would think it's harder to beat the Patriots coming off a midseason loss, than beating them at the biggest stage of professional football. Yeah, okay then.

The Giants won the turnover battle 3-1 in the regular season matchup, and had to rely on having Sergio Brown and Tracy White making ******ed play after ******ed play on that last drive (including a ticky-tacky PI call) to gift you the win in the last seconds of the game. It was pretty much one of the sloppiest Patriots performances you'll ever see, and we still nearly pulled it off at the end. If you think that was New England playing up to their potential, or even playing an average game, you are sadly mistaken. I wouldn't expect that same level of performance again.

Last edited:

So if I flip for heads 10 times, I'm almost guaranteed a tail? :singing: :rolleyes:

If the Giants win, they'll have had to earn it.

Last edited:

I think you're having a little self-peptalk there, young man. That's fine, whatever gets you through the next 26 hours.

10 in a row for the New England Patriots this century is not out of the ordinary. They won 21 straight, 18 straight and 12 straight at different times aside this 10 (so far) straight.

10 in a row for your team is unchartered territory, so your bewilderment is understandable.

Last edited:

You coming back on Monday to eat crow?

Can anyone tell me how often the Pats used the no huddle in the first game?

Giants didn't have Hakeem Nicks or Ahmad Bradshaw for the first game.
And the Pats had Tracy White, Phillip Adams, and Sergio Brown on the field on defense, and all three had critical plays that they failed to defend at the end of the game. For whatever reason the media has mentioned the absence of Nicks and Bradshaw quite a bit, but hasn't said a peep about the Pats injuries.

Differences in the Giants' favor for the SB from the Week 9 game:

First off - It will be played on a neutral field instead of Pats home field.
So instead of being favored by six the Pats are favored by three.

Offense:

#1 WR Hakeem Nicks, #1 RB Ahmad Bradshaw, starting center David Baas, starting fullback Henry Hynoski, all back in the lineup
See reply to bigblue420 above.

For the Patriots, Carter/Haynesworth gone (both wrecked a lot of havoc in that game, Carter alone had 8 pressures in that game)
Negligible dropoff from Carter to Anderson.

But you're saying the Pats are worse off without Albert Haynesworth?

Bwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

There was a play where a Giant should have been flagged for a hold on Haynesworth, but it didn't happen. Haynesworth sulked and got knocked on his butt on each of the next three plays, as if he wasn't even trying. He got yanked and was gone. Haynesworth played so poorly he was not only benched, he was cut. The only havoc he wrecked was on the Pats sidelines about being pulled from the game.

Defense:

Chase Blackburn at MLB (defense much better with him in both run and pass).

JPP starting over Osi, Osi becomes situational pass rusher on 3rd downs. In week 9, Osi was the starter. Giants defense is a lot better when JPP starts over Osi, cause he plays the run wayyyyy better. Pats can forget about running the ball at JPP.
I'm not doubting the Giants are better with Blackburn, even though statistically there's not much of any evidence to back that up.

If the Giants beat the Pats on their own turf (with the Pats coming off a loss, and they never lose back to back games) without all those things I just mentioned above....how can they possibly lose now after all these new additions in their favor? The positive difference is enormous for the Giants. They will win this game, and it won't be that close either.
Teams have bad games and bad stretches. One thing not mentioned was that the week 9 game was in the midst of a stretch where Brady was battling tendinitis in his throwing elbow (remember that sleeve he was wearing on his arm?), resulting in a drop in accuracy with his throws.

34-21 Giants.
The Patriots have given up more than 27 points just once this year, back in week 3; their defense is vastly improved since then. The Giants have scored 34 point three times all year; twice against a porous packers defense, and once against the Cowboys. Conversely the Pats are averaging 35 point per game over the last ten games, but they're only going to score 21? I'm not following the logic.

Ahmad Bradshaw is an enormous improvement, especially vs. the Pats.

The Pats have no problem with big bruisers who run up the middle like Jacobs due to Wilfork's presence. They struggle with shifty, agile, slippery RBs like Bradshaw, a guy who makes violent cuts.

The weakness of the Pats run defense is on the edges, as well as in space, and Bradshaw will exploit that, because that is exactly where Bradshaw excels.

If the Pats come out and play a nickle Cover 2 defense, Giants can use the shotgun draw to Bradshaw to find space underneath for big, explosive runs. If this does happen, Pats will be forced to play the run - which will lead to big plays in the passing game.
I heard something similar from the Ravens fans two weeks ago, and Rice is superior to Bradshaw. The week before that McGahee was going to do the same. Before that Reggie Bush, fresh off his 200-yard game was going to run wild. Why am I supposed to believe this prediction will be more true than all those others were?

"Keep dreaming....... Pats held the Giants to 10 points in that game until the last 3 minutes...... "
------------------

Find me an offense in this league that wouldn't take a huge hit when playing without their best receiver (one who requires double coverage nonetheless) , best running back, starting center, and starting fullback.

Your defensive performance for the majority of that game was a mirage due to facing a badly depleted offense......and yet you STILL couldn't stop them when it really mattered.

So go ahead, keep clinging onto that.....you'll be in for a rude awakening come Sunday.
See the points above. Three starters were out, plus the Pats defense has vastly improved its overall play since the beginning of the season. You can't bring up one team's injuries if you aren't going to do the same for the opponent - though I don't blame you for not realizing that was the case because you're just repeating the same thing the media has been saying for the last two weeks.

And out of everything I listed, that doesn't even include Gronkowski being injured and not 100% - the biggest factor of all.

In Week 9, with a healthy Gronk and healthy offense basically, you put up just 20 points, with the final 7 points coming on a do-or-die 4th and 8 where Gronk clearly pushed off on Boley. On top of that, you had 3 turnovers.

If you struggled this badly on offense with Gronk at 100%....what will happen now with Gronk at, say, 70%? What about 60%? 50%? He's only your best weapon and the main guy who draws the attention on offense

If the Giants realize after a few series that Gronk isn't his normal self and they can cover Gronk 1-on-1 (with Kenny Phillips most likely), and can then rush 4 and double-team/eliminate both Welker and Hernandez, how will your offense move the ball then? Brady will get man coverage on Branch and an injured Gronk. It'll be do or die with those 2. Good luck lol
News flash: Gronkowski is not the entire offense, and good luck if they don't put a second defender on him, even with a bad ankle. Earlier in the season BJGE couldn't go because of a bad turf toe; he's ready now. Steven Ridley was not yet incorporated into the offense. Kevin Faulk was on pup. All year long I've read from opposing fans how they'll match up defenders against Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski, and not yet have they been able to neutralize all three.

"I think that our offense can scorch your mediocre defense, as long as Brady is protected and he avoids costly picks. We shot ourselves in the foot the last time we played, by playing sloppy ball through 2 3/4 quarters. Out of 9 drives, we has 2 Ints, 1 fumble, and 1 missed FG. Generally, if you do that during a game, you get blown out. We barely lost in the last 30 seconds of that game."
-----------------

Your missed FG is cancelled out by our fumble on the punt return handing you the ball in our own territory for a gift FG

The Giants D finished in the Top 5 in forcing turnovers this year (so them forcing turnovers in that game is not really flukish) , they're probably in Brady's head by now, and Brady threw a couple picks vs. the Ravens, it's not unlikely that Brady turns the ball over some in this game. Especially with the fast turf benefitting the Giants pass rushers. You better believe Brady will feel Osi coming around that edge on that turf.
Interesting that you bring up turnovers because the Giants turn the ball over more often than the Pats do, and the Pats force more turnovers than the Giants do.

So when somebody counters the oft-repeated 'Giants are the hot team' with facts on who has the longer winning streak, now it gets turned around to that team being due for a loss? Nice wishful thinking masquerading as pretzel logic.

Last edited:

You stuck your foot in your mouth again.
The chances of a 13-3 team winning 11 in a row are greater than the chances of a 9-7 team winning 6 in a row. You are due to lose.

Dude, the Patriots almost never lose.

Brady career record 140-40
Eli career record 76-53

The worst possible time to face the Patriots is..............Kickoff time

And that is all meaningless now.
Without a fumble punt and a turnover at the 10, your offense would have had 3 points on the board with 7 minutes left in the game.
All you figured out after that was how to draw pi calls and throw at guys who wont be on the field.
On the other hand, the Pats staff figured out your defense in the 4th quarter.

This is the thing I can't STAND about Giants fans....

They have this overwhelming arrogance that they are always right. Their players being injured or inactive are so huge, but your players in the same
situation are not that important.

The refs are always against them. Never mind that other teams get bad calls too, but "the Giants have it worst".

Also they aren't very objective in their analysis. They thought they'd walk right over us in Candlestick Park and were shocked to find out how tough we were. Lucky as they always are, they caught a few breaks.

I love how convinced they are that they will win this game. Most fanbases are confident that their team would win, but only the Giants fanbase always seems to be overwhelmingly confident.

Time for this to come to an end. Can't stand it.

I think the Pats can't have 70 yards rushing and win this game,they are going to need a solid rushing attack to keep the Giants pass rush honest.

BJGE,Woodhead and Ridley and even Faulk as one unit have to dive into the century mark.

After watching this game, I feel for Ocho, just bad chemistry with Brady, the guy gets open. Brady really throws bad throws to him at times, the timing just sucks and I am not sure whose fault it is.

After watching this game, I feel for Ocho, just bad chemistry with Brady, the guy gets open. Brady really throws bad throws to him at times, the timing just sucks and I am not sure whose fault it is.

My guess is that the timing issues are the fault of a little bit of both parties.

Ocho admitted to having to take that extra 1/2 second to try and read the defense and run the route accordingly with adjustments. That is probably the bigger factor, at least one would think.

My guess is that the timing issues are the fault of a little bit of both parties.

Ocho admitted to having to take that extra 1/2 second to try and read the defense and run the route accordingly with adjustments. That is probably the bigger factor, at least one would think.

Agreed. TB has obviously shown the ability to hit open receivers at a very high level. Ocho has been a very productive receiver his whole career. When you put those two elements together and it equals only 16 catches (albeit also because the Patriots have many weapons), their has to be some varying level of fault on both parties (though it is axiomatic that the responsibility falls to Ocho to change what he is doing and get it worked out). Too bad. Production from Ocho even close to the level he has produced most of his career would have taken the Patriots from very potent offense to lights out. Yet I still hold out hope/agree with some other posters that an excellent game today by Ocho will make him aces!:D

This doesn't exist. I was about to explain in my own words, but Wikipedia has a perfect explanation:

Belief that an event is "due" to happen: For example, "The roulette wheel has landed on red in three consecutive spins. The law of averages says it's due to land on black!" Of course, the wheel has no memory and its probabilities do not change according to past results. So even if the wheel has landed on red in ten consecutive spins the probability that the next spin will be black is still 48.6% (assuming a fair European wheel with only one green zero: it would be exactly 50% if there were no green zero and the wheel were fair, and 47.4% for a fair American wheel with one green "0" and one green "00"). (In fact, if the wheel has landed on red in ten consecutive spins, that is strong evidence that the wheel is not fair - that it is biased toward red. Thus, the wise course on the eleventh spin would be to bet on red, not on black: exactly the opposite of the layman's analysis.) Similarly, there is no statistical basis for the belief that a losing sports team is due to win a game or that lottery numbers which haven't appeared recently are due to appear soon. This sort of belief is called the gambler's fallacy.

A team on a streak is more likely to remain on that streak, simply because they're probably playing well.

This is the thing I can't STAND about Giants fans....

They have this overwhelming arrogance that they are always right. Their players being injured or inactive are so huge, but your players in the same
situation are not that important.

The refs are always against them. Never mind that other teams get bad calls too, but "the Giants have it worst".

Also they aren't very objective in their analysis. They thought they'd walk right over us in Candlestick Park and were shocked to find out how tough we were. Lucky as they always are, they caught a few breaks.

I love how convinced they are that they will win this game. Most fanbases are confident that their team would win, but only the Giants fanbase always seems to be overwhelmingly confident.

Time for this to come to an end. Can't stand it.

We like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes