PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derrick Burgess???

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I didn't say he was a bust. I said the trade has not paid off so far and that he hasn't shown himself to be worth a third round pick.

2. The Falcons were passing at the end and in the beginning and in the middle. They were in third and long many times. What did he do?

3. They stopped playing him because he was doing squat.

i never said that burgess is the greatest pass rusher in the NFL

team's have 75 pass attempts VS this D and they only have 6 sack's and none VS the falcons so he is not geting any help from the team we cant put it all on burgess

no one is doing squat

and if they dont trade for burgess who they bring in 37 year old Kevin Carter

that"s why i say it was a good trade he help's this year will he get 10 sacks i dont think so

but to wait until next year for them to draft a good passrusher with a 3rd round pick dose not help the team this year

and tell me how many passrusher's has BB drafted in the 3rd since he has been here to think that pick would have been a great player

Last edited:
4 tackels and 1 sack is not a bust

he got he's 1 sack in the first game and then they stoped playing him as much because he is not a good run stoper and never was a good run stoper

he is a one trick pony a pass rusher and he cant get sack's if he is not on the field

Who says he's not a good run stopper? He's probably not indoctrinated into our system, while TBC is.

Has DB even played a game yet????? I havent seen him.

Burgess played 19 snaps according to Reiss. Living in VA, they played the Redskins on CBS and didn't see the game. I was curious how Burgess played

I hope that we will draft 2 pash rushers in 2010. Burgess will be gone next year.

During the first Atlanta drive when NE opened in the 3-4 Burgess was at LOLB outside Warren. Atlanta ran at him from a double TE set and he did an excellent job of setting the edge and eating blockers, which allowed the inside pursuit to clean up for no gain. I was getting ready for church and only had one eye for the game after that and I haven't gone back to watch the recording.

I'd need to do a game by game analysis to look at the blocking to get a feel for Burgess as a pass rusher, but I have seen him get pressure - which can be as simple as making the QB move in the pocket. TBC is currently hitting on all cylinders off the edge and the DL as a whole have been doing a good job collapsing the pocket - Edwards and Sanchez are good scramblers, Ryan is more Brady-like and that collapsing pocket disturbs him more than the previous two QBs.

Let's also remember that most teams slide help to the RT and not to the LT because in general the RT is more of a run blocker - this would put TBC in more one-on-one situations while Burgess is more likely to be facing a TE, RB, or interior OL helping slow down his rush. If I get time I'll go back and try to look at the blocking against Burgess - but for now recognize that, (1) the guy started, and (2) he still gets the call in the nickel/dime packages - I read that as a vote of confidence from BB & the three P's (Pees, Pepper, and Patricia).

During the first Atlanta drive when NE opened in the 3-4 Burgess was at LOLB outside Warren. Atlanta ran at him from a double TE set and he did an excellent job of setting the edge and eating blockers, which allowed the inside pursuit to clean up for no gain. I was getting ready for church and only had one eye for the game after that and I haven't gone back to watch the recording.

I'd need to do a game by game analysis to look at the blocking to get a feel for Burgess as a pass rusher, but I have seen him get pressure - which can be as simple as making the QB move in the pocket. TBC is currently hitting on all cylinders off the edge and the DL as a whole have been doing a good job collapsing the pocket - Edwards and Sanchez are good scramblers, Ryan is more Brady-like and that collapsing pocket disturbs him more than the previous two QBs.

Let's also remember that most teams slide help to the RT and not to the LT because in general the RT is more of a run blocker - this would put TBC in more one-on-one situations while Burgess is more likely to be facing a TE, RB, or interior OL helping slow down his rush. If I get time I'll go back and try to look at the blocking against Burgess - but for now recognize that, (1) the guy started, and (2) he still gets the call in the nickel/dime packages - I read that as a vote of confidence from BB & the three P's (Pees, Pepper, and Patricia).

Looking forward to the game analysis if you ever have time to get around to that.

I agree that Burgess allows TBC the latitude he has had and that is just as effective.

By comparison, look at Damarcus Ware who has not had an effective year so far because Greg Ellis is missing from the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back