PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deossie ran 4.53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not locking in, or even that hopeful he'll still be there when the Pats see value in his pick.

Just answering patchick's question as to why some project him inside. If memory serves, I was looking all over the net to find that BB quote about this time last year. I think I even asked you. In it, one of the reporters had asked BB what he wanted in a ILB and he said something to the effect that he wants someone 6'5", 250lb, who can run real fast. Zak fits his quote to the T.
I don't remember the quote, but it sounds like BB listing off his ideal. We are not in disagreement that He has the measurables, the question is his ability to transition from Brown into a Pats' 3-4. The fact he was a high school QB and has an Ivy League education is hopeful for his potential to understand the defense. At the moment Bradley is the only LB I like better, and that only because of his 1-A background and his exposure to multiple positions on the defense.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his size or his speed or the fact that he went to Brown (I assume that means he is somewhat smart:rolleyes: ) and after all of that he is the son of a former BB player, former Pats ballboy and good friends with BB's daughter. Yup, thinking he might actually fit in with the Patriots makes a person a yahoo!

Good Job! :rolleyes:

So why is he projected as a 2nd day pick?
Ya really think BB is attached to him because he knows his daughter?

Good Job!:rolleyes:

Bunchayahoos.

So why is he projected as a 2nd day pick?
Ya really think BB is attached to him because he knows his daughter?

Good Job!:rolleyes:

Bunchayahoos.

Ummm...yeah. BB is just as interested in character as he is in talent when assessing a prospect. You can only learn so much from an interview, but he knows this kid and what he stands for. You can't undersell that.

I don't remember the quote, but it sounds like BB listing off his ideal. We are not in disagreement that He has the measurables, the question is his ability to transition from Brown into a Pats' 3-4. The fact he was a high school QB and has an Ivy League education is hopeful for his potential to understand the defense. At the moment Bradley is the only LB I like better, and that only because of his 1-A background and his exposure to multiple positions on the defense.

yeah, right now my order is Bradley, Zak, and David Harris.

I think Harris is so quick that he can afford to bulk up from 243 to 250.

I also think a lot of people forgot measurables last year when they drooled over Lawson's speed. There's a reason why BB doesn't go for 230-ish OLB who are run-and-chase LB. As well as run-and-chase ILB who have the speed to go make the tackle, but need mammoth 4-3 DT to keep the blockers off of them.

Last edited:
I think in a 2 gap defense, the ILB have to be able to stout at the point of run. They have to be able shed that 300 lb OG in the run game. Otherwise, the run defense goes to hell.

yeah, right now my order is Bradley, Zak, and David Harris.

I think Harris is so quick that he can afford to bulk up from 243 to 250.

I also think a lot of people forgot measurables last year when they drooled over Lawson's speed. There's a reason why BB doesn't go for 230-ish OLB who are run-and-chase LB. Guys who have the speed to go make the tackle, but need mammoth 4-3 DT to keep the blockers off of them.
Lawson showed some nice situational awareness in the Senior Bowl. I think he would have been a project for Woicik and Nash, not a rookie starter. He might have been stronger/heavier this season, but that's Singletary's problem now.

He might have been stronger/heavier this season, but that's Singletary's problem now.

yeah, I thought it was going to Lawson when we picked in the 1st round....

There always seems to be a tons of 230ish ILB and 230-ish OLB, that BB doesn't seem to bite on. Maybe someday he'll surprise me, but if he does, the project will probably have enough height to pack it on.

yeah, I thought it was going to Lawson when we picked in the 1st round....

There always seems to be a tons of 230ish ILB and 230-ish OLB, that BB doesn't seem to bite on. Maybe someday he'll surprise me, but if he does, the project will probably have enough height to pack it on.
Agreed. I'm rewatching the wave drill, David Harris looked very smooth, nice back peddle. Marvin Mitchell who clocks in at 239 really struggled with that drill, but I remember how well he looked on the trash drill picking his feet up and putting them down. He may be worth bringing in late 2nd or UDFA. Harris just messed up his trash run.

Agreed. I'm rewatching the wave drill, David Harris looked very smooth, nice back peddle. Marvin Mitchell who clocks in at 239 really struggled with that drill, but I remember how well he looked on the trash drill picking his feet up and putting them down. He may be worth bringing in late 2nd or UDFA. Harris just messed up his trash run.

IYHO, how did Stewart Bradley and Zak Deossie do in the wave drill?

IYHO, how did Stewart Bradley and Zak Deossie do in the wave drill?
Bradley better than DeOssie, his DB background helped him, but both looked decent. The smaller LBs were smoother for the most part as you'd expect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the sweet spot for Bradley, Deossie and Harris is between #28 and #60. One of those three might drop to #60, but when two of them run a 4.5, they'll come off the board quick. The Jets are a danger to pick one of them. They need somebody to replace Matt Chatam. :D

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the sweet spot for Bradley, Deossie and Harris is between #28 and #60. One of those three might drop to #60, but when two of them run a 4.5, they'll come off the board quick. The Jets are a danger to pick one of them. They need somebody to replace Matt Chatam. :D
We'll need to factor in any DE conversion projects too.

We'll need to factor in any DE conversion projects too.

Moss perhaps (I've eyed him since before the Senior Bowl), but Mayock keeps referring to him as a 4-3 pass-rushing DE. Do you think he can make the jump to OLB? And would BB even want to make a risky projection pick in the 1st? Romeo did last year.

Moss perhaps (I've eyed him since before the Senior Bowl), but Mayock keeps referring to him as a 4-3 pass-rushing DE. Do you think he can make the jump to OLB? And would BB even want to make a risky projection pick in the 1st? Romeo did last year.
The DE to OLB candidates that are pulling down first round grades on the various lists are losing appeal for me. Moss ran a faster 40 than heavier Jay Moore, but he wasn't as fluid as Moore in LB drills or as powerful in DL drills. Moore might still be there day two and might be a better "McGinest" style OLB. I wish I could have seen Jay Richardson (Ohio State) work out. Robison from Texas was faster than Moss, much more fluid in LB drills, and he's probably going to be a late day one/early day two prospect. If BB thinks Spencer is an OLB he might pulll the trigger on him in round one since he was very productive, but I don't think he's LB material.

I wish Adam Carriker was dropping to the Pats, that would take some of the guess work out of round one.

In our two gap 3-4 the OLB's are really fast DE's going 270+, the ILB's should be 6'5 ish, 250 ish, and be really fast and good athletes, to help cover the tight ends. There was a quote BB made a couple of years back to that effect..

The thing is, Big Willie is the only real-life Pats OLB who fits that description:

Colvin: 6'3" 250
Vrabel: 6'4" 260
Banta-Cain: 6'2" 250

And those numbers are after years in the Pats' strength and conditioning program. Meanwhile I don't think the Pats have ever fielded an ILB over 6'3" (unless you count Vrabel in both columns).

I'm hardly wedded to DeOssie, let alone to a particular position for him. But he's certainly big enough to play outside.

DeOssie's offical time was 4.58 i think

hes had a great showing...looked in great shape, ran well and benched well.

The thing is, Big Willie is the only real-life Pats OLB who fits that description:

Colvin: 6'3" 250
Vrabel: 6'4" 260
Banta-Cain: 6'2" 250

And those numbers are after years in the Pats' strength and conditioning program. Meanwhile I don't think the Pats have ever fielded an ILB over 6'3" (unless you count Vrabel in both columns).

I'm hardly wedded to DeOssie, let alone to a particular position for him. But he's certainly big enough to play outside.
I thought TJ was 6'4"? I'd want to see how well 6'4.5" Zak manages leverage questions against OGs used to winning leverage wars inside. Zak strikes me as a player who can be developed for inside and outside.

Best part is I read he can longsnap. Which means they'd no longer have to waste a rosters spot on a guy who longsnaps and does not much else (major pet peeve of mine).

I think with the Brown-Pats connection, he should obviously be on the Pats board.

Major pet peeve? WOW. You are all outta whack on things. Long Snappers are like O-linemen. If you don't notice them, they are doing a good job.

DeOssie would be a BACK-UP to Paxton. Paxton isn't going anywhere until he can't do the job anymore.

Major pet peeve? WOW. You are all outta whack on things. Long Snappers are like O-linemen. If you don't notice them, they are doing a good job.

DeOssie would be a BACK-UP to Paxton. Paxton isn't going anywhere until he can't do the job anymore.

hehehehehehe. Nobody can keep 'em in line like you can DaBruinz. :D

It will be very difficult for him to leapfrog from a projected 6th rounder to RD 3, after having played his college ball in one of the weakest conferences (Ivy League) in the country. However, Deossie appears to have a Dan KLecko-like work ethic, which will enable him to stick around the league for a while.

No, it won't be that hard. He's got the measurables now and the brains.

Lofa Tatupu went from a 5th rounder to a 2nd rounder because of the combine. With these stats, DeOssie will probably move into the late 2nd to 3rd round easily. And yes, I am adjusting what I said based on DeOssie's combine stuff. He has the work ethic to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference