PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deossie ran 4.53

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DE to OLB candidates that are pulling down first round grades on the various lists are losing appeal for me. Moss ran a faster 40 than heavier Jay Moore, but he wasn't as fluid as Moore in LB drills or as powerful in DL drills. Moore might still be there day two and might be a better "McGinest" style OLB. I wish I could have seen Jay Richardson (Ohio State) work out. Robison from Texas was faster than Moss, much more fluid in LB drills, and he's probably going to be a late day one/early day two prospect. If BB thinks Spencer is an OLB he might pulll the trigger on him in round one since he was very productive, but I don't think he's LB material.

I wish Adam Carriker was dropping to the Pats, that would take some of the guess work out of round one.

DE to OLB conversions are boom/bust players. Maybe its just me, but if I had the choice between a solid guy, and somebody who was boom/bust but had a higher ceiling, I would go with the solid guy.

No, it won't be that hard. He's got the measurables now and the brains.

Lofa Tatupu went from a 5th rounder to a 2nd rounder because of the combine. With these stats, DeOssie will probably move into the late 2nd to 3rd round easily. And yes, I am adjusting what I said based on DeOssie's combine stuff. He has the work ethic to be awesome.

Especially, the speed.

4.5-ish guys just don't last. I wouldn't be shocked if trade out of the 1st into the high 2nd round and get our LB.

Last edited:
DE to OLB conversions are boom/bust players. Maybe its just me, but if I had the choice between a solid guy, and somebody who was boom/bust but had a higher ceiling, I would go with the solid guy.
I agree with you on that point. The measureables on Jarvis Moss are disappointing and I'd rather the Patriots select a pure linebacker or cornerback in the first round. Tim Shaw put up some incredible numbers at the combine on Monday.

hehehehehehe. Nobody can keep 'em in line like you can DaBruinz. :D

It's not a matter of keeping them in-line. Its a matter of being amazed at how people make statements without thinking. Next thing we'll here is that the Pats shouldn't have a dedicated punter or a dedicated kicker because they are a waste of a roster space.

Lets think about this for a minute. BB is the KING at having players do multiple things. Being able to participate on special teams as well as step up when needed to fill in at other spots. However, he's NOT done that with 4 positions. Those 4 are Kicker, Punter, Long-Snapper and QB (though there have been 2 instances in 7 years that this wasn't the case). Why would BB, all of a sudden, change that stance and mess with the long-snapper?

If someone can point to a time when BB had his long-snapper on the field for something OTHER than long-snapping, please let me know. As far as I know, He's NEVER done it.

It's not a matter of keeping them in-line. Its a matter of being amazed at how people make statements without thinking. Next thing we'll here is that the Pats shouldn't have a dedicated punter or a dedicated kicker because they are a waste of a roster space.

Lets think about this for a minute. BB is the KING at having players do multiple things. Being able to participate on special teams as well as step up when needed to fill in at other spots. However, he's NOT done that with 4 positions. Those 4 are Kicker, Punter, Long-Snapper and QB (though there have been 2 instances in 7 years that this wasn't the case). Why would BB, all of a sudden, change that stance and mess with the long-snapper?

If someone can point to a time when BB had his long-snapper on the field for something OTHER than long-snapping, please let me know. As far as I know, He's NEVER done it.

hey I agree with you.

And as far as

Its a matter of being amazed at how people make statements without thinking.

We need guys like you to do the dirty work that needs to be done, and say the things that need to be said. :D LOL

We need guys like you to do the dirty work that needs to be done, and say the things that need to be said. :D LOL

You say them too. You just are PC about it. I just figure that they won't understand being PC. :p

Last edited:
The Group 10 average for the Bench Press was like 23 reps.

You say them too. You just are PC about it. I just figure that they won't understand being PC. :p

its more of an art really. LOL Iron fist with a velvet glove. :D I leave the heavy lifting for you. :rofl:

Last edited:

Prior to last year he never drafted a RB in the first round either. I believe what you are saying, is that Bill.B is set in his ways and will not change. You know as much about Bill.B and what he will do as the rest of us here. Nothing.

Prior to last year he never drafted a RB in the first round either. I believe what you are saying, is that Bill.B is set in his ways and will not change. You know as much about Bill.B and what he will do as the rest of us here. Nothing.

I agree with the poster that said BB has only had 6 years of 1st round picks. Of course he hasn't enough time to draft every position in the 1st round.

But there is a difference between draft conceptions, and team make-up conceptions. What the other poster is saying is, cut a vet who is doing a perfect job, so a rookie can take over. Not going to happen.

and please don't try to compare it to the Gostkowski/Adam thing. That was a salary cap/lost FA issue.

Last edited:
40-yard dash - Linebackers

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/02/40-yard-dash-linebackers.html

Some more unofficial 40-times from today's combine workouts.

Rufus Alexander - 4.70
Antwan Barnes - 4.40
Jon Beason - 4.64
Quincy Black - 4.42
Stewart Bradley - 4.69
Prescott Burgess - 4.90
Quinton Culberson - 4.77
Buster Davis - 4.67
Zak Deossie - 4.53
Justin Durant - 4.51
Earl Everett - 4.88
Kamichael Hall - 4.79
David Harris - 4.53
Chad Nkang - 4.51
Michael Okwo - 4.69
Blair Phillips - 4.82
Paul Posluszny - 4.68
Dallas Sartz - 4.70
Tim Shaw - 4.49
Lawrence Timmons - 4.59
Patrick Willis - 4.49

I agree with the poster that said BB has only had 6 years of 1st round picks. Of course he hasn't enough time to draft every position in the 1st round.

But there is a difference between draft conceptions, and team make-up conceptions. What the other poster is saying is, cut a vet who is doing a perfect job, so a rookie can take over. Not going to happen.

My post was about the fact that no one on this board knows what Belichick is going to do. Did they know he would play Troy Brown on defense? Did they know that Richard Seymour would play offense? Did they know that Vrabel would be a threat in the endzone? Did they know that he would let Givens and Branch walk in the same year? Did they know that the Patriots would tag Samuel? Pretending they know what he will do is just that...pretending.

Last edited:
My post was about the fact that no one on this board knows what Belichick is going to do. Did they know he would play Troy Brown on defense? Did they know that Richard Seymour would play offense? Did they know the Vrabel would be a threat in the endzone? Did they know that he would let Givens and Branch walk in the same year? Did they know that the Patriots would tag Samuel? Pretending they know what he will do is just that...pretending.

Well, as far as the franchise tag thing with Samuel, yes we knew. :D

But as far the long-snapper thing, we had a rookie long-snapper in David Thomas last year..... It seems like we go through this every year.

Eventually I guess Paxton will get old/not do a great job, and BB will replace him.

Well, as far as the franchise tag thing with Samuel, yes we knew. :D

But as far the long-snapper thing, we had a rookie long-snapper in David Thomas last year..... It seems like we go through this every year.

Eventually I guess Paxton will get old/not do a great job, and BB will replace him.
We've had a veteran longsnapper on the team since 2003 - Hochstein.

Major pet peeve? WOW. You are all outta whack on things. Long Snappers are like O-linemen. If you don't notice them, they are doing a good job.

DeOssie would be a BACK-UP to Paxton. Paxton isn't going anywhere until he can't do the job anymore.
Not quite. He isn't going anywhere until someone comes along who can do the job better than he does, or who provides more value to the team.

No one is guaranteed a job just because they do it well. The idea that we can cut WMG and Ty Law, and let Branch, Vinatieri, etc etc walk, but we will never never let Lonnie go is ludicrous.

Not quite. He isn't going anywhere until someone comes along who can do the job better than he does, or who provides more value to the team.

No one is guaranteed a job just because they do it well. The idea that we can cut WMG and Ty Law, and let Branch, Vinatieri, etc etc walk, but we will never never let Lonnie go is ludicrous.

In all those cases mega $$$$$ are the issue. If we replace Lonnie, its not going to be some rookie we get. Maybe somebody like Hochstein or David Thomas in a couple of years who have with the team for awhile. Maybe.

What about Lawyer Milloy? He was cut and a rookie (Wilson) took over. Wiggins was cut and a rookie took over. There are a zillion examples of vets who were cut or allowed to walk, and replaced with a rookie.

and please don't try to compare it to the Gostkowski/Adam thing. That was a salary cap/lost FA issue.
Huh? It is the same thing.

Tell me the difference between:

a) cut a vet and replace with a rookie
b) let a vet walk and replace with a rookie.

There are a zillion examples of vets who were cut or allowed to walk, and replaced with a rookie.

Players get cut for rookies all the time because of salary cap restraints. I'm arguing it won't be done for a roster spot. We could have had Hochstein LS in '03, '04, '05, '06, and now in '07. We could have had David Thomas do it last year.

.... We could have had Hochstein LS in '03, '04, '05, '06, and now in '07. We could have had David Thomas do it last year.

So with Hoch, Wendys, and Paxton
the LS position is oversubscribed.

Meaning the Pats don't need Zak
and this DeOssie orgy can peter out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft