PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deossie ran 4.53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Zak's high school math teacher. Phillips Academy has been buzzing all week with the hope that Zak would do well at the Combine. Is 4.53 really good?

How are you all accessing his Combine results? I don't get the NFL tv network and can't find it on their website.

I know that pro football is a business, but BB knows Zak very well. They are family friends and Zak has been close friends with Amanda Belichick for over 7 years. She, too, went to Phillips Academy.

Main point - BB knows Zak's work ethic, which is truly unbelievable.

http://fflivewire.com/players/Playe...&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=9&GO=GO!
here are the times and yes 4.53 is really good for a LB

anything from 4.4-4.7 for a LB is good

Wow, Tim Shaw. Fast AND strong.

Anyone looking for a good 4-3 OLB? This kid can cover like a safety.

He blew his redshirt freshman year when he mistakenly ran onto the field. The coaches meant the other Shaw, not him.

I love how all the yahoos jump on a guys bandwagon just because he's local.

I love how all the yahoos jump on a guys bandwagon just because he's local.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his size or his speed or the fact that he went to Brown (I assume that means he is somewhat smart:rolleyes: ) and after all of that he is the son of a former BB player, former Pats ballboy and good friends with BB's daughter. Yup, thinking he might actually fit in with the Patriots makes a person a yahoo!

Good Job! :rolleyes:

I'm Zak's high school math teacher. Phillips Academy has been buzzing all week with the hope that Zak would do well at the Combine. Is 4.53 really good?

How are you all accessing his Combine results? I don't get the NFL tv network and can't find it on their website.

I know that pro football is a business, but BB knows Zak very well. They are family friends and Zak has been close friends with Amanda Belichick for over 7 years. She, too, went to Phillips Academy.

Welcome auntboo! We hope you come back often!!!! Wherever Zak ends up, he definitely boosted his value today at the combine. I really dont see him falling to day two now. As a fan and a homer, I'd LOVE to see Zack in a flying elvis next year! But we all know BB/SP have their own value board, and where Zak shows value is where they could draft him. If another team, who drafts for position, or need, gets to him first, he may not be available to us. Lets all hope he falls to us in the third. I think that after today, he shows value there!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his size or his speed or the fact that he went to Brown (I assume that means he is somewhat smart:rolleyes: ) and after all of that he is the son of a former BB player, former Pats ballboy and good friends with BB's daughter. Yup, thinking he might actually fit in with the Patriots makes a person a yahoo!

Good Job! :rolleyes:

the main thing is, he's from the area.

Try this link: http://nfl.com/combine

As Remix noted, 4.5 is very good for a LB, especially for a 250 pounder. The other guys who ran around his time are all 10+ pounds smaller. There is more discussion in the draft forum if you're interested - you probably know this but the drop down menu at the bottom is the short cut there.

Im sorry but a 4.53 is a good time for a WR, let alone a 250 lb LB. Its a spectacular time, imho. IIRC there were only 1 TE who had a faster time.
If he shows some explosiveness in his other drills, I think he'll definitely move up into the 3rd round. Supposedly he was very productive in his Post season appearance.

However the only way I think the Pats can grab him is if he slides to the 4th round. Despite the measurables playing at Brown will hurt him. The Ivy league is a lot closer to Division 2 football than division 1AA. And teams rarely invest a first day pick on someone playing in the lower divisions. Besides, they will likely already have one LB/Tweener pick in the first 2 rounds. I don't see them taking a development LB that anytime before the 4th or 5th rounds

Last edited:
The Ivy league is a lot closer to Division 2 football than division 1AA. And teams rarely invest a first day pick on someone playing in the lower divisions. Besides, they will likely already have one LB/Tweener pick in the first 2 rounds. I don't see them taking a development LB that anytime before the 4th or 5th rounds

The interesting calculation to me...which scenario yields longer development time to become a starting 3-4 OLB:

- Major-conference experience against top-notch offenses as a DE, never playing in space
vs.
- Ivy experience against smaller, slower, weaker offenses as a LB?

/QUOTE]

Aunt Boo --- 4.53 for a guy who is 6-4, 6-5 and 255lbs is ridiculously good, although we have to discount the absolute speed a little bit because the track that the Combine uses is notoriously fast. The more relevant comparison is to his peers, Zak DeOssie is a very fast player in shorts and a T-shirt. So far he is having a very good Combine.

The interesting calculation to me...which scenario yields longer development time to become a starting 3-4 OLB:

- Major-conference experience against top-notch offenses as a DE, never playing in space
vs.
- Ivy experience against smaller, slower, weaker offenses as a LB?

Not to question, patchick, but isn't he projected to go inside in the 3-4?

/QUOTE]

Aunt Boo --- 4.53 for a guy who is 6-4, 6-5 and 255lbs is ridiculously good, although we have to discount the absolute speed a little bit because the track that the Combine uses is notoriously fast. The more relevant comparison is to his peers, Zak DeOssie is a very fast player in shorts and a T-shirt. So far he is having a very good Combine.

Keep in mind Indy put new turf down recently, its not the old carpet from before which played a little faster.

Not to question, patchick, but isn't he projected to go inside in the 3-4?

With that speed and particularly size, most folks I've heard have been talking OLB. (That, to me, is what makes him so valuable -- 6'4" 250 guys who can run a 4.5 don't grow on trees.) But I'd be curious to hear reasons why ILB might be a better fit!

It will be very difficult for him to leapfrog from a projected 6th rounder to RD 3, after having played his college ball in one of the weakest conferences (Ivy League) in the country. However, Deossie appears to have a Dan KLecko-like work ethic, which will enable him to stick around the league for a while.

Last edited:
With that speed and particularly size, most folks I've heard have been talking OLB. (That, to me, is what makes him so valuable -- 6'4" 250 guys who can run a 4.5 don't grow on trees.) But I'd be curious to hear reasons why ILB might be a better fit!

In our two gap 3-4 the OLB's are really fast DE's going 270+, the ILB's should be 6'5 ish, 250 ish, and be really fast and good athletes, to help cover the tight ends. There was a quote BB made a couple of years back to that effect. If I could ever find it, it would be and would have always been my sig. He's prototypical of exactly what BB is looking for inside.

In our two gap 3-4 the OLB's are really fast DE's going 270+, the ILB's should be 6'5 ish, 250 ish, and be really fast and good athletes, to help cover the tight ends. There was a quote BB made a couple of years back to that effect. If I could ever find it, it would be and would have always been my sig. He's prototypical of exactly what BB is looking for inside.
Let's not get locked in, grabbing another Vrabel capable of playing anywhere if needed, isn't a bad thing. DeOssie has the frame to get up to Vrabes' listed 260. He has four years of inside experience, I'd like to see how his 10 yd split and short shuttle looked to get a feel for his burst off the edge. At this point, I'd rather think of him as a 3rd down ILB developing behind a Bruschi, and hopefully a Seau, if he was drafted. That would give him time to develop his technique and reads while putting speed on the TE.

Let's not get locked in, grabbing another Vrabel capable of playing anywhere if needed, isn't a bad thing. DeOssie has the frame to get up to Vrabes' listed 260. He has four years of inside experience, I'd like to see how his 10 yd split and short shuttle looked to get a feel for his burst off the edge. At this point, I'd rather think of him as a 3rd down ILB developing behind a Bruschi, and hopefully a Seau, if he was drafted. That would give him time to develop his technique and reads while putting speed on the TE.

Not locking in, or even that hopeful he'll still be there when the Pats see value in his pick.

Just answering patchick's question as to why some project him inside. If memory serves, I was looking all over the net to find that BB quote about this time last year. I think I even asked you. In it, one of the reporters had asked BB what he wanted in a ILB and he said something to the effect that he wants someone 6'5", 250lb, who can run real fast. Zak fits his quote to the T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots