PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver vs NE post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious thing is neither of those were penalties.

Mike Carey said on the broadcast that it was a good no-call regarding Tim Wright's block. I think it was because it wasn't those blatant blocks in the back where a guy just shoves him. Wright slightly blocked him with his shoulder and then let up and the bronco player didn't go to the ground.

Ayers was not a penalty because it was a freaking form tackle. His hit was to Manning's thighs.

xGeL0E8.jpg

He wasn't blocked to the ground and then lunged at him (Brady Rule) and he didn't dive at the knee (Palmer Rule). Not. A. Penalty.
Pereira said the same thing on Twitter. (Except, you know, with 140 characters or less).

Plenty to be impressed about after last night's game but for me I was most impressed with the line play on both sides of the ball. If this continues the Pats will be very tough to beat come the playoffs.

I'll take "Sentences I never thought I'd see" for 1,000 Alex ...

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 15m15 minutes ago
Patrick Chung was pretty unbelievable. 4 receptions allowed on 10 targets, 56 yards, TD allowed, but it was a perfect pass from Manning.
You know its funny about Chung. At the .end of the 2011 season, Patrick Chung was far and away our best DB. (not a high bar that year, IIRC ;) ) I and many others reasonably expected great things from him the next year. Truly it should have been his "breakout season". Instead it turned out to be his swan song in NE as they made no attempt to re-sign him. Then there was his lost season in Philly and his unlikely return home and solid play this season.

It really doesn't make much sense. I think it would be a great story to find out what happened to him. First to find out what went wrong here in NE, and then what are the reasons why its suddenly working now. It would be a fascinating story of transformation and redemption. I wonder why some editor hasn't assigned someone to flesh it out.

I'll take "Sentences I never thought I'd see" for 1,000 Alex ...

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 15m15 minutes ago
Patrick Chung was pretty unbelievable. 4 receptions allowed on 10 targets, 56 yards, TD allowed, but it was a perfect pass from Manning.

Chung has had a really good season for them, and he has been really big in run support, which they desperately needed.

Tedy's thoughts about the game... interesting perspective about Matt Patricia

link: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51310

"What I saw was an uneasy Peyton Manning. That's the way he gets when he can't get the answers he wants. He's a guy that wants the answers to the test before it's handed out and that's diagnosing pre-snap information. I just can't say enough about the plan Matt Patricia put together. He's a unique coach. I know how smart he is. He's one of the few coaches that have coached under Belichick that is able to have his own ideas and schemes and implement them the Matt Patricia way -- not giving it to his players while doing his best Bill Belichick imitation. Players recognize that when a coach starts to develop for himself. Don't get me wrong, when he first started as a LB coach, me and Junior Seau gave him a hard time about being a young coach the way veteran players do. But he's developed into a true asset for this organization."

Bruce Allen ‏@bruceallen 4m4 minutes ago
Only on Boston sports radio do people whine about missed calls against the home team.

Bruce Allen ‏@bruceallen 1m1 minute ago
"Ayers should've gotten a penalty on the sack!" "Wright should've been flagged on the punt return!"
I understand that these are morons calling in, but:

HUH???Why should Ayers have been called for a penalty on the sack?

As for Tim Wright, even Mike Carey said it was a clean hit. You know. The guy who a former Ref...

Still awaiting iapatsfan "debbie downer" comment. :p
He's waiting for the 7 game losing streak so his 7-9 prediction can come true

Manning put it up 57 times and Revis was targeted only 6 times and half of them came on that one drive.

His guy was always covered. Its amazing how good he really is when they had the recievers they had. Suck a big part of this team 9 weeks in. Amzing to watch him play.

Jets fans must be turning over in their graves

Miami says hi.
You don't seem to realize that the Miami game occurred before this team gelled.

Kinda like your crap about players just being a flash in the pan.

Darius Butler, BTW, is still in the league and playing well for the Colts.

The penalties were actually pretty even. I don't think the refs are out to get anybody. They were just doing their job. But on the drive of the Broncos last TD, PATS should really be more disciplined than that. All 3 penalties on that drive were blatant and could have been avoided while still stopping the Broncos. The PATS' penalty count would look a lot better if it weren't for the stupid penalties on that drive.

But hey, who cares about right and wrong; right guys? I don't know, I'm just not one to make excuses and blame others for shortcomings...

Only 1 of the calls on Browner was "blatant" as you claim. Go back and watch the game again..

His guy was always covered. Its amazing how good he really is when they had the recievers they had. Suck a big part of this team 9 weeks in. Amzing to watch him play.

There were 2 receptions to Sanders where I was disappointed that Revis let Sanders get so open. Beyond that, Revis was exceptional.

BTW, anyone notice that Deus hasn't popped in to say anything?? He put up a post in the Branch signing thread, but hasn't showed up here..

Pats were the more agressive team....alot of manning teams seem to have the same "makeup" in that IMO they are soft. If you hit them in the face and play agressive defense they wilter.

same thing happened against the seahawks earlier in the year and in the superbowl. Belicheck has finally built a defense to counter mannings offense.

Finally? He was10-5 against manning before yesterday

Overall, on a position by position basis, the Broncos are the better team. But this isn't Madden you don't win by having the highest OVR rating.

Though the Patriots have a few players I'd take over every player on the Broncos - Revis, Gronk and some other dude.
I'm not sure I agree with that. They have more flashy stat producers but 22 vs 22 or really like 30 vs 30 the patriots match up well.

Anyone else notice that the Pats actually ran a stunt yesterday with Ayers and that is how he got his sack.. It's the first one I've seen them do in awhile and it worked.. It's too bad they only used it once, that I saw..

Ya they are. Every time someone makes a catch going up against them they start a thread on jestsidiots about him getting burned.

You don't seem to realize that the Miami game occurred before this team gelled.

Kinda like your crap about players just being a flash in the pan.

Darius Butler, BTW, is still in the league and playing well for the Colts.

The Miami quote was in reference to the "there won't be 20 point shut-outs anymore in the NFL." Miami had one against a pretty good SD team. Still possible, surprisingly.

On the "crap" about cornerbacks, there has been long string of rookie corners who have played really well in New England, only to regress their second year. It's odd. Butler is in fact still playing, but he really did have a couple seasons poor enough to get released. McCourty is a terrific safety, but he had that rough second year as a corner after his rookie Pro Bowl year. Butler is looking surprisingly good for an undrafted rookie from a small program, leaping over more-experienced players in Ryan and Dennard. It invites the comparison. Why the great first years?

I was impressed by the way the O-line and the D-line played.
Branch arrived with a THUD! The statistics that count were 2.8 ypc, enough time for Vince to catch his breath, and 36 yards per game yielded on the ground.

Interesting defense.
Reiss posted the positional stats.
Essentially the team was in the nickel almost the entirety of the game.
When you add up the positional reps:
DT - 2.01 players per play
DE - 1.94 players per play
LB - 2.01 players per play
CB - 3.12 players per play
S - 1.91 players per play

They generated a lot of different looks and confusion from a very consistent package.

The major difference came on one goal-line stand with a heavy package.

Also interesting, as per the previous note, how much Ayers & Butler played. Ayers played almost every snap at DE, and Butler is clearly the #3 CB. And playing well - seems versatile enough to play inside and outside, and appears to have decent diagnosis and burst. His combine numbers were very pedestrian for a corner - 5-10, 187, 4.62, but he plays bigger and quicker on the field. He defended some pretty impressive receivers, and kept Dennard and Ryan on the bench most/all of the game. He's been a real pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back