PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver vs NE post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats were the more agressive team....alot of manning teams seem to have the same "makeup" in that IMO they are soft. If you hit them in the face and play agressive defense they wilter.

same thing happened against the seahawks earlier in the year and in the superbowl. Belicheck has finally built a defense to counter mannings offense.

Well, in Belichick's defense, he built such a good one that they changed the rules. Now he has built another one.

Well, in Belichick's defense, he built such a good one that they changed the rules. Now he has built another one.

Reports this morning are that Manning has convened a meeting of the Rules Committee, which he chairs, to discuss outlawing defensive backs. In the future all defensive players will have to be over 250 and play within 3 yards of the LOS.

Tedy Bruschi giving love to Matt Patricia

In the end, this is Belichick's team, but Tedy B, who knows more than most, has a very interesting take on it in his look back at the game today:

"What I saw was an uneasy Peyton Manning. That's the way he gets when he can't get the answers he wants. He's a guy that wants the answers to the test before it's handed out and that's diagnosing pre-snap information. I just can't say enough about the plan Matt Patricia put together. He's a unique coach. I know how smart he is. He's one of the few coaches that have coached under Belichick that is able to have his own ideas and schemes and implement them the Matt Patricia way -- not giving it to his players while doing his best Bill Belichick imitation. Players recognize that when a coach starts to develop for himself. Don't get me wrong, when he first started as a LB coach, me and Junior Seau gave him a hard time about being a young coach the way veteran players do. But he's developed into a true asset for this organization."
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51310

And, while we're about it, how about a huge cheer for Dave DeGuglielmo. Signs are he is finding a way to fill a little guy's big shoes.

#optimistic

You know its funny about Chung. At the .end of the 2011 season, Patrick Chung was far and away our best DB. (not a high bar that year, IIRC ;) ) I and many others reasonably expected great things from him the next year. Truly it should have been his "breakout season". Instead it turned out to be his swan song in NE as they made no attempt to re-sign him. Then there was his lost season in Philly and his unlikely return home and solid play this season.

It really doesn't make much sense. I think it would be a great story to find out what happened to him. First to find out what went wrong here in NE, and then what are the reasons why its suddenly working now. It would be a fascinating story of transformation and redemption. I wonder why some editor hasn't assigned someone to flesh it out.

ken

Some of this might be the reality he is now playing in a more inherent natural role in the secondary.

It's not by accident that BB would re-sign him.

Still in awe of the fact that we did so well without our #1 DE, #1 LB, #2 DT, and #1 RB.

Getting back Jones and Siliga will be huge for us. Hopefully we use the bye week to work on the run game because we will need it in the playoffs.

If I'm the Broncos I'd be more than a little concerned about my kicker. After the miss they were going for it on 4th down in Pats territory with the wind...that says a lot.

Cutting Prater looks like a mistake...

Only 1 of the calls on Browner was "blatant" as you claim. Go back and watch the game again..
Saw the whole thing. The pass interference was blatant as he was all over the receiver, the encroachment was blatant because the guy put his hands on the O-linesman before the snap and the O-linesman didn't move till after he put his hands on him, and the defensive holding was blatant because he was, well, holding the guy. I don't get how you missed things so obvious. They even showed the replay of the penalties after they happened. Each one. It was in slow motion for Pete's sake. Each of them were clear as day and are the type of thing that is avoidable with discipline

If I'm the Broncos I'd be more than a little concerned about my kicker. After the miss they were going for it on 4th down in Pats territory with the wind...that says a lot.

Cutting Prater looks like a mistake...

I was yelling "bet your glad you cut prater!!" The broncos fans around me were just all pretty much manning face. Numerous times with a few beers in me :)

It's my turn to Crow.:)

I have said repeatedly that the Broncs are NOT what they used to be. I was ignored and dismissed as the ultimate homer, for my specific analysis which was largely affirmed yesterday. :p

I said:

Peyton is NOT scoring at the pace he did in 2013. :eek:

Hillman is NOT Moreno who can be a teams basic 2 down RB. Miami in Game 1 affirmed that fact, as he piled up the rushing yards for the Phins. :D

Sanders is a talented smurf, and NOT as good as Eric Decker. He can't be a downfield blocking threat at WR, like LaFell is for Pats RBs. (That is who the Broncs wanted, and we signed).:D
With Peyton's fading arm, Decker had the strength and catch radius to gather in and out-muscle, for Peyton's lobs. :(

The Broncos LBs are small, inexperienced and not too talented, except for Miller. They miss Travathan, maybe more than we miss Mayo. Von Miller almost doesn't count at LB, as he is a full time pass rusher and ignores the run.

The Broncos secondary is thin, small and outside of Talib, not very good.:oops:

Blair Harris is tiny, and NOT ever to be compared with Champ even in his dotage. Imagine an slower, smaller than Arrington-sized CB, trying to cover a 6-3 good outside WR, constantly. It makes me snicker and laugh.:p

The Broncos pass rush comes from a DE and OLB, with little from the middle, and that hasn't changed though the names on the Jersey have.:eek:

Crow, Crow CROW !! ;););)

Interesting defense.
Reiss posted the positional stats.
Essentially the team was in the nickel almost the entirety of the game.
When you add up the positional reps:
DT - 2.01 players per play
DE - 1.94 players per play
LB - 2.01 players per play
CB - 3.12 players per play
S - 1.91 players per play

They generated a lot of different looks and confusion from a very consistent package.

The major difference came on one goal-line stand with a heavy package.

Also interesting, as per the previous note, how much Ayers & Butler played. Ayers played almost every snap at DE, and Butler is clearly the #3 CB. And playing well - seems versatile enough to play inside and outside, and appears to have decent diagnosis and burst. His combine numbers were very pedestrian for a corner - 5-10, 187, 4.62, but he plays bigger and quicker on the field. He defended some pretty impressive receivers, and kept Dennard and Ryan on the bench most/all of the game. He's been a real pleasant surprise.

It's easy to keep someone on the bench when they are inactive (Dennard). Butler is more agile than Ryan. That is why Butler was out there and lined up against Sanders. It's about match-ups, nothing more..

Yes, Butler well with the reps that he got, but he was the 4th CB yesterday, not the 3rd. Arrington was still #3..

Saw the whole thing. The pass interference was blatant as he was all over the receiver, the encroachment was blatant because the guy put his hands on the O-linesman before the snap and the O-linesman didn't move till after he put his hands on him, and the defensive holding was blatant because he was, well, holding the guy. I don't get how you missed things so obvious. They even showed the replay of the penalties after they happened. Each one. It was in slow motion for Pete's sake. Each of them were clear as day and are the type of thing that is avoidable with discipline

First off, the PI was BS. DPI is only supposed to be called if the receiver is physically prevented from making the catch. Up until that point, the hand fighting was fine..

The encroachment was on Browner and yes, the receiver DID move before Browner did. So, you claiming it was avoidable is just laughable.

The holding is something that goes on just about every play. When you realize that and realize that they could have and should have called OFFENSIVE holding, you might know what you are talking about.

So, take your "Pete's sake" crap and shove it. What's clear as day is your not understanding of the rules and your cluelessness about what lack of discipline is.

I'll take "Sentences I never thought I'd see" for 1,000 Alex ...

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 15m15 minutes ago
Patrick Chung was pretty unbelievable. 4 receptions allowed on 10 targets, 56 yards, TD allowed, but it was a perfect pass from Manning.

I've been waiting all season for the other shoe to drop with Chung. But if he's not getting exposed against the Broncos, I think we might just have to acknowledge that he's undergone a rather remarkable transformation and become a good player. With Butler and now Chung's rebound that 2009 draft is looking a bit less like a dumpster fire.

At least Ridley diddn't fumble right?

Miami says hi.

I didn't get this comment. I was just saying that we're never going to beat Manning in a low scoring affair under the new rules. Maybe you are referring to Miami's shutout of the Chargers? But, Rivers is no Manning, and Miami's front four is the stuff our dreams are made of.

I think it's Thomas Dimitroff, GM of the Falcons, from BBs days at Cleveland.

It was that perp who got arrested a few weeks ago, the one with Brady's helmet tattooed his head.

Last edited:
Still in awe of the fact that we did so well without our #1 DE, #1 LB, #2 DT, and #1 RB.

Getting back Jones and Siliga will be huge for us. Hopefully we use the bye week to work on the run game because we will need it in the playoffs.
I had a chance to watch a replay of the game last night. If Vince Wilfork didn't come away with a game ball then I'm a tickled pink fairy princess. He controlled the LOS and frankly abused Denver's OL in run protection. His resurgence from a significant achilles injury is nothing short of remarkable.

I had a chance to watch a replay of the game last night. If Vince Wilfork didn't come away with a game ball then I'm a tickled pink fairy princess. He controlled the LOS and frankly abused Denver's OL in run protection. His resurgence from a significant achilles injury is nothing short of remarkable.

He told us it would be too!

Saw the whole thing. The pass interference was blatant as he was all over the receiver
Yes, he did have a hand of the receiver, but didn't actually move/reroute/twist/turn the receiver. That would have been a good non-call in my opinion. Considering this happened early in the game, I thought we would be in for a long game (meaning that there'd be a ton more calls of this type made. I was pleasantly surprised they let them play a bit).

Collins didn't rush too often and Hillman wasn't left in pass protection often, but oh boy, was that a mismatch when it did happen. It didn't matter if Collins had to go around Hillman or through him, he was getting in Manning's face either way. Hillman is the kind of guy that'd be a healthy inactive in New England right now, because there's no way Brady would be able to trust him in pass protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back