PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is indeed frustrating to have a team not be able to finish off a drive or a game on defense. As you say, we have lost seasons because we allowed the other team to drive 80 yards down the field or connect on 3rd and 15.

Certainly by mid-season (give Brady a bit of time), the offense should again be one of the best in the history of the NFL as it was in 2007. On paper, the offensive talent is better. We have improvements at RB and TE and a bit of a loss at WR (with one more WR to come).

We have had troubles on defense these last few years. We re-loaded a lot last year adding 4 LB's and 2 defensive backs. This year, we have already add a corner. We will add another several key players before the season starts. The question is whether we will be able to stop opposing teams in the red zone and at the end of playoff games.

The passing defense is particularly problematic. Evidences are in high % of 3rd down conversions, big plays allowed (TDs, 40yd+ passes), and high opposing qb rating. This D at times makes scrubbs looking like hof'ers - the performance of AJ Feely comes to mind.

This is not unique to 2008. In 2007 it was glossed over by a great offense. But in the biggest games, at crunch time the Pats D has always had troubles. In three 3SB they won, they let Rams, Eagles, Panthers come back from double-digit 4th qtr deficits to tie games. In the one they lost, they could have won by holding Giants to a field goal. They went out and surrendered a 80 yard TD drive with less than 3 mins to play. Some people will dismiss as a freak play but there is something unsettling about Pat's D. I know what is coming "yeh, yeh, they made their shares of stops". I give you that. They had some success. But they had some terrible games (2007 Colts playoff game anyone? many consider that the biggest playoff chock job in NFL history). The percentages don't lie, and Pats D was indeed at the league's bottom in stopping 3rd downs and preventing big plays by opposing team. This D is not championship caliber and they won't reach promise land with this D no matter how good Brady-Moss-Welker are. Because in the playoff games in the elements, defenses will have the upper hand. Brady and company will be stopped; it is up to our D to stop them and get the ball back, preferrably more often than we are stopped by them.

Last three seasons have been extremely frustrating and I place blames on Pat's D. Let's hope Bill figures out a way to turn this around.

The passing defense is particularly problematic. Evidences are in high % of 3rd down conversions, big plays allowed (TDs, 40yd+ passes), and high opposing qb rating. This D at times makes scrubbs looking like hof'ers - the performance of AJ Feely comes to mind.

This is not unique to 2008. In 2007 it was glossed over by a great offense. But in the biggest games, at crunch time the Pats D has always had troubles. In three 3SB they won, they let Rams, Eagles, Panthers come back from double-digit 4th qtr deficits to tie games. In the one they lost, they could have won by holding Giants to a field goal. They went out and surrendered a 80 yard TD drive with less than 3 mins to play. Some people will dismiss as a freak play but there is something unsettling about Pat's D. I know what is coming "yeh, yeh, they made their shares of stops". I give you that. They had some success. But they had some terrible games (2007 Colts playoff game anyone? many consider that the biggest playoff chock job in NFL history). The percentages don't lie, and Pats D was indeed at the league's bottom in stopping 3rd downs and preventing big plays by opposing team. This D is not championship caliber and they won't reach promise land with this D no matter how good Brady-Moss-Welker are. Because in the playoff games in the elements, defenses will have the upper hand. Brady and company will be stopped; it is up to our D to stop them and get the ball back, preferrably more often than we are stopped by them.

Last three seasons have been extremely frustrating and I place blames on Pat's D. Let's hope Bill figures out a way to turn this around.

I don't know if I would go that far. The defense was good enough a year ago. If Samuel holds on to the ball in that last drive of the SB, then it's all good. And he makes that play 9 times out of 10.

I will agree with you though that the defense has been trending downward over the past few years - the LBs have been declining and there's been very little depth at that position - resulting in TBC and Alexander being the starting LBs in the AFC Champ game 2 years ago. And it culminated with last year's performance - which was below avg in my opinion.

I don't think the issue is that complicated though. The team just needs a couple of playmakers - a pass rusher who can get to the QB and a couple of guys who can get into position to get their hands on the ball in pass coverage, be they LB, safety, or CB.

Last edited:
I think Crable will suprise us with his speed and abilities. And woods did show up before IR. I think they have the ability to contribute significantly to the pass rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back