PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense? What defense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats blitzed just four times, 3 QB pressures, and 1 INT (Brown) on those blitzes. 10 total QB pressures for game that SD kept extra protector in 51% of time (on dropbacks). Wilfork led with 3 QB pressures and Haynesworth was not good, if he wasn't on the ground he was handled easily by LG Dielman. Also Arrington not at fault for plays V.Jackson made in slot. This is all per Bedard twitter.

They should probably blitz more often.

The Pats couldn't blitz more often because they had to double and triple team Gates.

The Pats couldn't blitz more often because they had to double and triple team Gates.

This is also true..if they blitzed more...Gates would have had a lot more yards

One yard would be a lot more yards. Hence why they didn't blitz.

Not to mention blitzing hasn't really worked out for the pats against good qbs since the Jail ball era.

Last edited:
I hope they blitz a lot more vs Buffalo this week...and when it comes to the jets..let sanchez beat you..he is getting rocked this year. His line can't block for ****. Go all out after him as well

I hope they blitz a lot more vs Buffalo this week...and when it comes to the jets..let sanchez beat you..he is getting rocked this year. His line can't block for ****. Go all out after him as well

LOL every time i have seen the pats blitz since the nfl outlawed the jail ball defense, the qb always escapes the rush and makes a big play down the field.

Last edited:

This week will be different. Buffalo has Chandler at tight end, and I doubt the Patriots will start off doubling him.

Right. The Patriots defense was not the culprit in the loss to the Jets in last year's playoffs. The Jets were successful on only 6 of 13 3rd down opportunities. Sanchez played a solid, not great, game. He rang up a pedestrian 194 passing yards against the Patriots.

Tom Brady was sacked five times - five! - in that game and the Pats went 0-2 on 4th downs and just 5-14 on 3rd downs. The Patriots played flat on offense and committed 5 penalties that stalled progress. The offense looked confused for much of the game when the pinball machine offense did not light up.

Sanchez had a QB rating of 127 in that game. He threw 3 TD passes! Sanchez did. He usually has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn, but looked like Joe Montana vs the NE defense.

His attempt/completion numbers dont tell the whole story because he over threw open WRs early in that game. There was a time when if the Pats scored at least 17 points they won the game. Now, the Pats cant score enough points.

If the 2010 NE defense was so good, then why did BB overhaul it?

It's still early and the Pats D is learning a new system...but as of today, our defense isn't a single iota better than the one we had last year. As a matter of fact, it has been horrendous.

Right. The Patriots defense was not the culprit in the loss to the Jets in last year's playoffs. The Jets were successful on only 6 of 13 3rd down opportunities. Sanchez played a solid, not great, game. He rang up a pedestrian 194 passing yards against the Patriots.

Tom Brady was sacked five times - five! - in that game and the Pats went 0-2 on 4th downs and just 5-14 on 3rd downs. The Patriots played flat on offense and committed 5 penalties that stalled progress. The offense looked confused for much of the game when the pinball machine offense did not light up.

Like it or not, the Jets have an elite defense and we don't....

You know, as high hope as I have in Brady and the company in the offense. If this D playing the same as it is right now in the playoffs...I don't mean to be pessimistic but my crystal ball tell me we'll have another disappointed post season. Let's just hope the D gel up after the bye week and toughing it up.

Like it or not, the Jets have an elite defense and we don't....

No team has an elite defense this year thus far. Yes, the Jets totally demolished Luke McCown and the Jags, but they struggled against Tony Romo until Romo shot himself in the foot towards the end of the game. Romo did pass for 343 yards and two TDs before he imploded vs. the Jets.

Most defenses are struggling right now especially in the yards category. But the Pats are 13th in points allowed (the most important statistical category). Not great, but certainly not horrible especially since the Dolphins scored a garbage time TD.

Right now the Jets have more question marks than the Pats do. They have major issues on offense from their o-line to their running game to consistency. Their defense struggled vs. the Cowboys so they have yet to play perfectly on either side of the ball. They beat up on a really bad Jags team. We will see what they really are over the next three weeks where they have three tough road games (well two tough road games and a potentially tough one depending on which Raiders show up).

Not to single out the Jets because I don't see a single team out there right now with less question marks than the Pats. No team has played flawless football in the first two games. Most teams have struggled at least on defense for at least one of the two games they played this season thus far.

BTW, if you go to the Jets boards, there are more fans concerned about the Jets issues than fans here are about the Pats.

Last edited:
actually, Jets fans are patting their own backs and furiously banging on their Revis drums in a thread that directly links to this one....all you need to ever know about Jet fan ...next time you are on JI and spot the superhomer cRAYzed cRAYzed 19...ask him to answer a simple question...who he thinks is a better quarterback...Mark Sanchez or Tom Brady...laugh all you want but HE is the paradigm of the Jet uberhomer and what he thinks is what 50% of that fanbase thinks...100% unswaying belief..and to them there is NO issue

It's still early and the Pats D is learning a new system...but as of today, our defense isn't a single iota better than the one we had last year. As a matter of fact, it has been horrendous.

I beg to differ. Last year's third down conversion rate for opposing offenses against our defense was 47.09%. This year, we've cut it down to 46.15% ;)

Right. The Patriots defense was not the culprit in the loss to the Jets in last year's playoffs. The Jets were successful on only 6 of 13 3rd down opportunities.

I beg to differ. Last year's third down conversion rate for opposing offenses against our defense was 47.09%. This year, we've cut it down to 46.15% ;)

That's okay, according to goheels22002, that 46.15 rate (giving up ONLY 6 out of 13 attempts to the Jets) on 3rd down is actually somehow good.

That's okay, according to goheels22002, that 46.15 rate (giving up ONLY 6 out of 13 attempts to the Jets) on 3rd down is actually somehow good.
And if it had been 31%, which was the best 3rd down percentage in the NFL last year, they would've given up two more third conversions. Do you seriously think two 3rd down conversions would've changed the game?

You do realize that 6 of 13 on third down actually is a solid defensive performance, right? Would you be satisfied with the Pats offense going 6 out of 13 on third down?

And if it had been 31%, which was the best 3rd down percentage in the NFL last year, they would've given up two more third conversions. Do you seriously think two 3rd down conversions would've changed the game?

You do realize that 6 of 13 on third down actually is a solid defensive performance, right? Would you be satisfied with the Pats offense going 6 out of 13 on third down?

Huh?

It equates to a 46.15 percentage, and considering that our 3rd down percentage was WORST in the league at 47.09 percent last yr---umm, no, I don't think that 46.15% is very good. It's exactly the same percentage that was considered worst in the league last yr. I don't even understand anything at all about your argument.

Except for the goal line stands the defense hasn't impressed me but i'm not going to panick yet, i'll give it till mid season. The fact is BB has ignored upgrading the D-line and OLB in the DRAFT. The last time a significant pick was taken was V Wilfork, and how long ago was that Six or Seven years? Each year its been some form of patchwork fix, From AD to DBurgess, to an ancient Sean Ellis and Albert Haynsworth. It seems every year its a priority and every year theres no one in the draft that can fit in the system. But then again i remember back in April there was a thread or Two about how a Pass Rush was over rated. So far the team has been relying on the big play (turn overs) defensively just as it was last year, but thats not a very reliable way of getting the job done.

Last edited:
After further information, I retract my harsher comments. Two players were assigned to shut down Gates. Carter was shifted out of his natural position to the strong side to jam and redirect Gates on every high hat read. Chung (or Sergio when he was out) had to maintain one on one coverage. That takes two guys out of the defense. The pass rush may have looked entirely different with Carter over the left tackle. I am willing to give the defense the benefit of the doubt since mission one was shut down Gates which they did entirely. Credit the Chargers for making us pay in other areas.

When you score 800 points a game, who cares if the defense gives up a lot of yards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore