PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense fails again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When its 3rd and 10 or more I can't even look.

It the weakest part of our team.

True, true. I feel better on 3rd-and-short than 3rd-and-long b/c the offense may do us a favor and run. In an obvious passing situation (like those 2-minute drills that dashed our SB hopes) we are really weak, and last night just confirmed the trend.

Deus and others have an excuse for everything. According to them, you have no logic if you try to pin the loss on ANYTHING, be it offense, defense, special teams, or coaching.

ETA: Also, I'm sure they're all "very proud" of the way the team is playing at 6-4, even though they should be 8-2.

People like yourself don't undersand the difference between an excuse and fact.

Yes, this team should be 8-2. There are a variety of reasons they aren't. Some are directly affected by the team. Others, such as horrible penalty calls by the referees, are not.

How do you know that the Pats would have just scored a FG? You don't. The Patriots could have, very easily, scored the TD and won the game. Unless you are another Miss Cleo.

You don't need to be Miss Cleo to understand what BB would have done down 3, 4th down from the 15 yard line with 8 seconds left. He'd have kicked it.

If BB was the type who passes up the tie and OT for a low percentage chance at a win, he would have done so last night and with a much higher percentage chance at the win than 4th down from the 15. He would have gone for 2 after the Moss TD.

You don't need to be Miss Cleo to understand what BB would have done down 3, 4th down from the 15 yard line with 8 seconds left. He'd have kicked it.

If BB was the type who passes up the tie and OT for a low percentage chance at a win, he would have done so last night and with a much higher percentage chance at the win than 4th down from the 15. He would have gone for 2 after the Moss TD.

You're overlooking the fact that there would have been a lot more time on the clock, and the losses of downs for spiking the ball would not have been necessary.

If BB was the type who passes up the tie and OT for a low percentage chance at a win, he would have done so last night and with a much higher percentage chance at the win than 4th down from the
15. He would have gone for 2 after the Moss TD.

Yes, actually, you do because what you fail to understand is that the enire complexion of that last drive changes. The Pats would have gotten the ball back with over 3 minutes left on the clock and they would have had ALL 3 of their time outs. Instead of getting the ball back with a 1:04 on the clock and no time outs.

BB is the type who goes for the kill in those situations, but will settle for points on the board if he has to.

If the Defense played "well above its abilities" tonight then we are in for a loooooong rest of the season.

Thanks for stating the obvious. And as another poster stated, these problems (with getting off the field) predated the injuries to Warren and Thomas. I know this is not true but it seemed as if the Jets played cat and mouse with us. The bottom line is they went into hibernation until we caught up, then scored in two straight possessions and controlled the clock for a bazillion minutes - I wanted to put my head through the screen.

The defense really has been pathetic in the clutch spots where we have needed them to come up big and get a stop for years now.

When Brady drives down field to give you the lead in the SB and a chance at a perfect season and just over 90 seconds left, you can't make as many mistakes as they did defensively that drive. Today, when Matt Cassel is tearing up the Jets and tying the game up with a second left...you need to get a stop and get him back on the field and can't allow a freakin' 3rd and 16.

This defense definately has fomented a nightmarish recurring dream paradigm.

Originally Posted by Patslifer...Find another team? Who do some of you people think you are. Stop telling poeple to find another team, or acting like you are some superfan. You are some guy sitting at home, acting like you can tell people who they can root for. Originally Posted by Marko...Quote of the year! This board goes so over the top sometimes.

Jesus, do some of these people even consider how pompous and overbearing they come across as? I say the government should send some of that bailout money to their friends and family or propose them for sainthoods or something. Pruning? WTF. Why even go there? Do you know what that makes you sound like?

Last edited:
Jeez. People here are weird. Focus on one problem area, and they point out all the others, as if that erases the focus. There are lots of problem areas, and it is fine if a thread focuses on one

You must be a neanderthal. I wish someone would prune your gonads. How clueless and illogical can one person be? How dare you?

Yeah cuz you know, most healthy defenses usually shut it down in OT, let alone ones that are riddled with injuries.:rolleyes: Don't blame the offense though, only two fumbles and a turnover on downs in the red zone. This defense played WELL beyond their ability tonight, if you don't understand that find another team.

Dustin Keller looked like a Hall of Fame tight end and the defense couldn't stop anyone on 3rd and long last night. There IS definitely some blame to go around to the defense. Did the Pats miss on some opportunties to score? Sure. But who tied the game with 1 second to go and who essentially lost the game in OT due to being unable to stop a 3rd and 15?

The defense still needs a couple of pieces to be complete. Those pieces might come in free agency or the draft. The bright spots were the play of the young guys, Mayo especially and Guyton.

Yes, and all of us are allowed to have OUR opinions on what you post as well. This is the part of that great 1st Amendment and the Right to Freedom of speech that people like yourself don't understand.

And therein lies the problem. Why do some people feel the need to have an opinion about anothers' opinion thus starting the vicious cycle? Why can't you just state your piece and leave it up to others to be the a-holes? Oh, right, we have a first amendment right to be boorish...

Last edited:
...this team was not been able to stop a third and long in over two years.

I was thinking the same thing. Not literally every third and long, of course. But from the '06 title game, to the SB, to the last two games against the Colts and Jets, it has been extremely frustrating.

The defense actually had the Jets at 3rd and 6 from the NE 7. The Pats made the stop by breaking up the throw. Then the refs called the bogus penalty on Vrabel, giving the Jets new life. See, Vrabel has every right to position and he was NOT holding Cotchery. Without that penalty, The Jets are held to a FG and the Pats are able to march down and win the game. That's how your "argument" lacks logic.

So you want to play the "ref card" huh? Sure I thought the refs should have let it go that far into the game but it is what it is. So in theory, the Pats did stop them but they didn't according to the refs. Good teams play though bad calls. The Pats got shafted in the superbowl for the non "in the grasp" call on Eli Manning and the Ellis Hobbs mythical "pass interference" call on Reggie Wayne in the '06 title game. And not to forget, when Troy Brown and Ben Watson where mauled and the refs kept their flags in their pockets. It sucks, but it happens to every team.

Yes, and all of us are allowed to have OUR opinions on what you post as well. This is the part of that great 1st Amendment and the Right to Freedom of speech that people like yourself don't understand. While you are entitled to you opinions, you are also entitled to the reactions that you voicing your opinions brings.

What you don't understand is when people on this board tell you to die because you don't agree with everyone else. I say the defense fails and that Wildo7 guy tells me to die. That is uncalled for.
If you don't care what the offense and defense did during those first 4 quarters, then you are being extremely myopic and missing much of the point.

1) You refused to answer this. The game got TIED because the Referees blew a 3rd and 6 call on Mike Vrabel. A called that resulted, in the end, in the Jets getting a TD instead of being held to a FG. THAT is extremely relevent because we don't go to OT otherwise.

2) While the defense surrendered 7 points in the 2nd half, they did NOT surrender 24 in the first. They surrendered 17. The other 7 came on special teams.

3) One turnover was a very big deal because it killed a Jets drive and resulted in points for the Patriots.

4) You really need to work on your reading comprehension. The question asked which Patriot's DEFENDERS fumbled the ball. Not which Patriots' player. The correct answer is NONE.

5) Hey, you got one correct. That was Deus Irae's point. And that screw up by Koppen killed a Patriots drive.

6) The refs were WRONG. Its pretty sad when Chris Collinsworth, a well known Patriots hater and Favre lover, says that the Ref made the incorrect call. This called had more to do with the Patriots losing than the play in OT because there wouldn't have been OT.

7) A champion isn't always different from the rest of the pack. In fact, being a "champion" has nothing to do with a 50/50 coin flip. You're floundering here.

8) Sorry, but giving up points does NOT equate to losing the game. And you purposely modified what was said to suit your own argument and not what was asked of you. Defense helps to win games, but scoring more points than your opponents is what wins games. Reality is that you take off even the 4 gift points that the Refs handed the Jets and the Patriots defense did their job and the game is over with a Pats win.

Reality is that it takes GOOD PLAY by all facets of your team to win Championships and its a misnomer to say that JUST DEFENSE wins championships. The Patriots team of 2001 proved that. Or do you not remember the AFCCG game from that year? Or how about the SB from that year? How many points did the Pats defense score in that game? How about the Pats offense?

You wrote, If you don't care what the offense and defense did during those first 4 quarters, then you are being extremely myopic and missing much of the point.

You guys don't get it, the reason why you shouldn't care is that your team has brand new life in overtime. Get one stop and see what your offense can do. Have you heard of "move on to the next play"? The Pats defense was given a chance to make a stop and didn't.

1. No, it's not that I refused to answer this, I didn't see it. And your wrong, the Jets took a touchdown lead (not tie) with that call on Mike Vrabel which could have been a field goal lead had they kept their flags their pockets.

2. Alright.

3. The point I was trying to make is that the Pats don't get many turnovers. Only 1 in a game isn't very good.

4. I missed that one but I picked it up on the other question.

6. Bad calls happen to every team. My point of my arguement is that it was a brand new ball game in overtime. Move on to the next play (overtime), which lots of people on this board fail to get. The defense had a chance to make one stop but couldn't. That is what is frustrating.

7. I'm floundering? Who cares if you lose a damn coin flip? Play some defense. 3 and 15. Pathetic.

8. When your defense and special teams give up a combined 34 points, most NFL teams won't win games. The only way they win games is if they had the NE offense of '07.

Last edited:
You can blame injuries,You can blame the guy who was supposed to cover Keller...er Killer

But I think the blame resides on Pees failure to call continuous Blitzes which appeared to work when called

Dustin Keller looked like a Hall of Fame tight end and the defense couldn't stop anyone on 3rd and long last night. There IS definitely some blame to go around to the defense. Did the Pats miss on some opportunties to score? Sure. But who tied the game with 1 second to go and who essentially lost the game in OT due to being unable to stop a 3rd and 15?

The defense still needs a couple of pieces to be complete. Those pieces might come in free agency or the draft. The bright spots were the play of the young guys, Mayo especially and Guyton.

Dustin Keller will be a pro bowl TE soon enough, the guy is no scrub. The softest part of our defense is the secondary, but wheatley and wilhite have barely played and I think Hobbs is a solid CB.

Last edited:
I don't see you complaining about the fact that the offense let the defense down by not getting even 1 first down on 2 different series in the 4th quarter.

Had the offense gotten its act together then instead of waiting until the last drive, the game probably would have been over in the Pats favor without OT.

this thread is about ot.

You and the other trolls aren't worth my time.

...are u guys for real?!!? :scream:
A defense with a bunch of rookies ...with AD, Ty, Rodney out ... 3 dumb arse mistakes by the offense :ugh: ... and, in the end we lost by 3 points in the over time ... not to mention the fxxxxxxxxxxxxx helmet catch (... i'm going to have nightmares again ... what's with the NY teams and helmet catches)...

U're bashing the D !?!!? :enranged: ... get real people.

The defense isn't the sole reason for the loss, but giving up 2 TD's on the first 3 Jets possessions put us in a very tough position. Even with the ST blunder, if they can at least force 2 FG's and 1 TD instead of other way around, it's 20-13 at halftime, a 1 score lead. and we're not in desperation mode. We can still play our regular offense in the 2nd half and maybe that botched snap doesn't happen. Maybe we aren't in Shotgun throwing 15 yards downfield on 3rd and inches. If we were able to chew time off the clock maybe our defense doesn't wear down and allow 2 70+ yard drives to lose the game at the end. It was great to see Cassel throwing for 400 yards and erasing an 18 point deficit, but we're not going to win playoff games like that.

We may have battled back, but red zone defense is ultimately what cost us. Same problem in the Colts loss. Given the injuries, this defense is not going to dominate anything. But if we can improve in the red zone we have a shot at a deep playoff run.

Deus and others have an excuse for everything. According to them, you have no logic if you try to pin the loss on ANYTHING, be it offense, defense, special teams, or coaching.

ETA: Also, I'm sure they're all "very proud" of the way the team is playing at 6-4, even though they should be 8-2.

No way.....Deusch is the most rationale person on this website......he sees this team for what IT IS mister!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back