PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deceased Former Titan Rob Bironas

Which "other thread"?

There was an RIP Bironas type thread earlier this week, where a number of posters expressed their condolences.

Another tragedy for the Oilers/Titans organization.

Not sure if anyone remembers the horrible case of 2nd round pick DT Jeff Alm (played at Notre Dame), but he was part of a close family connection/25 year relationship.

He accidentally killed his good friend in a fatal DUI car accident, then opened up the trunk and killed himself via shotgun blast. Very sad. Just insane. This happened in '93.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-23/sports/sp-4757_1_operator

Steve McNair too

I've read speculation on Bironas using Ambien. Sometimes people have weird reactions to it. Almost extreme sleepwalking. The story doesn't make any sense without a drug involved.

I use Ambien. Sometimes, it's the only way I can get any sleep. 99% of the time, it works as advertized, and I am VERY thankful it's available. Having said that, there's been a couple times where I woke up sitting on my couch with the TV remote in my hand. There's been some VERY wild dreams, too.

Most problems with Ambien come when it's either taken and the person tries to stay awake, because it can give some really wild visual effects (and also distort your motor control) or when it's taken with a few beers and/or shots of liquor.

I can honestly & truthfully see the guy taking some to help him sleep, and planning to finish watching the show on TV with the wife, then entering into a fugue or dream-state and driving off somewhere. I'm not saying that that's what happened, only that as a regular user of the drug, it's something that could potentially happen.

It's why you take it at bedtime, just before you get into bed.

Last edited:
Another tragedy for the Oilers/Titans organization.

Not sure if anyone remembers the horrible case of 2nd round pick DT Jeff Alm (played at Notre Dame), but he was part of a close family connection/25 year relationship.

He accidentally killed his good friend in a fatal DUI car accident, then opened up the trunk and killed himself via shotgun blast. Very sad. Just insane. This happened in '93.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-23/sports/sp-4757_1_operator

I remember this. Hell of a thing.

I'm sure the local police will get to the bottom of this...
The next morning, Fraley said his roommate texted him a photo of Bironas. He said he contacted a police dispatcher again on Sunday morning but was hung up on.

As to "vanity grieving" as in Princess Diana, there's bad and good in it... but no doubt one can grieve over multiple people, both the famous, and the lone old woman down the street. They may be distinct kinds of grieving--as in real and imagined (or Symbolic), but both have their place in the lives of most of us.

I wonder what Rob Bionas was doing career wise in the aftermath of his 8 NFl years. I also wd not be surprised in the other tragic deaths on that team had some impact on his psyche. And yes drugs to boot as possibly in anti-depressants.

As to "vanity grieving" as in Princess Diana, there's bad and good in it... but no doubt one can grieve over multiple people, both the famous, and the lone old woman down the street. They may be distinct kinds of grieving--as in real and imagined (or Symbolic), but both have their place in the lives of most of us.

I agree.

There IS an industry in America these days that is "Vanity Grieving".

The 9/11 Industry, the "God Bless America" during the Home half of 8th innings in MLB that was disingenuously started by the Yankees so as to ice opposing relief pitchers late in games. The Industry that rose up to make money on "Boston Strong" memorabilia (for profits that went other places than the victims).

THOSE were "Vanity Grieving".

Saying upon hearing that a young person died "Gee, that's a shame and very disturbing" is NOT "Vanity Grieving".

I agree.

There IS an industry in America these days that is "Vanity Grieving".

The 9/11 Industry, the "God Bless America" during the Home half of 8th innings in MLB that was disingenuously started by the Yankees so as to ice opposing relief pitchers late in games. The Industry that rose up to make money on "Boston Strong" memorabilia (for profits that went other places than the victims).

THOSE were "Vanity Grieving".

Saying upon hearing that a young person died "Gee, that's a shame and very disturbing" is NOT "Vanity Grieving".

I agree. And as to your examples, each one of these totally phoney industries makes me perfectly nauseous.

Really bizarre. It almost sounds like a drug high gone bad or a manic episode. It's weird too that his wife called the police after so little time (even if my husband left the house unexpectedly at 10:30, I would not call the police by 11:00 to say he was missing, would you?). There's more going on here than meets the eye (obviously). Still a very sad way to leave this earth and a new wife...

Audio of his wife's 911 call:
http://nesn.com/2014/09/rob-bironas-wifes-911-call-conflicts-with-early-reports-audio/

That is strange that she'd call 911 so soon, unless she knew something else was wrong, something she didn't tell the 911 dispatcher.

Kind of off topic but...Bradshaw's daughter is shockingly attractive given how ugly he is. Maybe he was much better looking when he had hair.

OT: Tennessee is meth central......just throwin it out there

Really bizarre. It almost sounds like a drug high gone bad or a manic episode. It's weird too that his wife called the police after so little time (even if my husband left the house unexpectedly at 10:30, I would not call the police by 11:00 to say he was missing, would you?). There's more going on here than meets the eye (obviously). Still a very sad way to leave this earth and a new wife...
If my wife said she was going to bed, went upstairs then was nowhere to be found when I went to check on her and unable to be contacted? And after calling relatives, as Bironas' wife did? Yes I would absolutely call the police. Time frame doesn't matter. Something is clearly out of place or wrong in that scenario.

If my wife said she was going to bed, went upstairs then was nowhere to be found when I went to check on her and unable to be contacted? And after calling relatives, as Bironas' wife did? Yes I would absolutely call the police. Time frame doesn't matter. Something is clearly out of place or wrong in that scenario.

I guess it depends on your spouse. My husband has been known to slip out to run an errand (go get a soda or fill the car with gas down at the corner station which is open 24/7) at night without telling me, and I might get annoyed, but my first thought would not be to call the relatives or the police (and he always forgets his cell phone)

I guess it depends on your spouse. My husband has been known to slip out to run an errand (go get a soda or fill the car with gas down at the corner station which is open 24/7) at night without telling me, and I might get annoyed, but my first thought would not be to call the relatives or the police (and he always forgets his cell phone)

Yes, he "filling the car with gas" at 11:00 pm. That's it. Oh, did he forget his cell phone again? :)

Yes, he "filling the car with gas" at 11:00 pm. That's it. Oh, did he forget his cell phone again? :)

If you met my husband, sadly (for him, not me), you would see that he is telling me the truth. He's inconsiderate, but quite boring (as am I...)

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back