PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 LB's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPCity

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I have no problem with how the draft has gone so far, but I was really hoping to come out with a quality LB that can fit into our defense.

Looking at the day two possibliities.....is there anybody left out there? I'm far from a college football or draft expert. So I defer to the board on this one.

Oliver Hoyte (ILB, but can also play OLB) and Hawkins (college DE who would be an NFL OLB) whose first name I can't remember.

Kai Parham is a guy I like, personally, but I would go with Hoyte or Parham (collegiate teammates, if I am not mistaken...)

you are mistaken. Hoyte came from NC State

You are right. That NC State defense was stacked then....

A bit on Hawkins listed as a DE could project to OLB in our system, question is could he add enough weight to his frame? from NFL.com:

Brent Hawkins, Illinois State (6-2 1/8, 240, 4.55)
Hawkins wasn't invited to the Combine, but worked out March 16 on campus. He ran his 40s indoors in ideal conditions, and posted a 4.51 and a 4.58. He also recorded a 38½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-8 long jump, a 4.29 short shuttle, a 7.32 three-cone drill and 23 bench presses. He played linebacker in high school, and also played quarterback, wide receiver and defensive end. He made first-team all-state in Illinois. Hawkins played as a freshman at Purdue, playing three games before suffering a stress fracture in his right tibia. He played in 10 games in 2002 and then left Purdue. He entered Lewis & Clark Community College in 2003 and played on the basketball team, but never saw action in a game. He entered Illinois State in 2004 and started five games at defensive end. He started 11 games in 2005 and had 17 sacks, seven forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He has some pass-rush ability and has a good burst with very good quickness. He lacks height and weight. He's a lot like Robert Mathis of the Colts (21 sacks the past two years).

Info on Hoyte from patriots.com sounds very promising:

1. Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – No one else has Hoyte rated this high but we absolutely love him. He’s a physical linebacker who plays with a mean streak. When Hoyte hits someone, they go backwards. A very underrated prospect who made a ton of plays during his college career.

If we snagged both it would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back