PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Givens on The Big Show now

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's apparently got a smoothie store. He was talking about it at the end of the show, but I was busy doing a couple of different things at the time and couldn't concentrate on it.

Its in a huge office park called the Cummings Center in Beverly, MA. He has had since last summer I believe.

I really miss that guy. Like all the others, he was just trying to make a good business decision that, unfortunately, backfired. I don't blame him for what he did. I wish he would have finished off his career more positively. I wish him well.

P.S. One of my lasting memories of him was scoring a TD in the SB and putting one leg on the ball (Captain Morgan-style) and flexing both his arms. I'll never forget that. He brought a swagger to the WR position that only a converted RB could bring.

Last edited:
I was a major Givens fan. A real move the chains guy always getting that 1st down. As a late draft pick without a multi-million dollar initial contract, I couldn't fault the guy opting for lifetime financial security.

Yup! He is the most under appreciated guy in Patriots history. He was the Keven Faulk of his day; incredible third down guy.

I remember I went to the Pats training camp when he was on the team. He signed every single autograph, even if there was a big mob in front of him he would patiently sign something for whoever wanted it. No one else did that after a long practice. Givens was a good guy.

DG was also one of my favorites. I remember he'd put up some up numbers when Branch was out hurt.

I heard Givens defend Branch when they had Cris Carter on. Carter dissed Branch, called him an average WR (not in the exact same words). Carter was not flattering our WRs corps in general and you could tell Givens was getting defensive. Carter then said that he understands Givens is too close to the team and that Branch was his guy (and why Givens was getting defensive).

All in all Carter sounded like an idiot. Not to say his opinions can't be supported, but because HE couldn't support them in an articulate coherent message. He was all over the place and ever other word was "like" (similar to how a 14 year old girl would talk).

I heard Givens defend Branch when they had Cris Carter on. Carter dissed Branch, called him an average WR (not in the exact same words). Carter was not flattering our WRs corps in general and you could tell Givens was getting defensive. Carter then said that he understands Givens is too close to the team and that Branch was his guy (and why Givens was getting defensive).

All in all Carter sounded like an idiot. Not to say his opinions can't be supported, but because HE couldn't support them in an articulate coherent message. He was all over the place and ever other word was "like" (similar to how a 14 year old girl would talk).

I missed him today but Ive heard him on the radio before, hes a douchnozzle

Actually what Carter said was fairly accurate. Outside of the Pats system and Tom Brady, Deion Branch IS "just another guy" WR. A nice player, but not much different that a ton of other guys who play in the NFL and put up moderate numbers.

He's A piece of the puzzle, NOT the stick that stirs the drink. If he had stayed in NE, he would have made a name for himself, just because of the long term association with the Pats. Instead he took obscene money from Seattle (enough to put him in the top 5 paid WRs in the league...at that time), and disappeared for 5 years,

I'm sure it must be like heaven to be back with the Pats, to actually play in meaningful games. I'm also sure he's older and wiser now. Besides HE GOT THE MONEY ALREADY. Right now he's at the stage where he'll play for a few paltry million/yr and it won't matter a bit. He got the big paycheck, and I don't doubt that 99% of it is still in the bank,.

Actually what Carter said was fairly accurate. Outside of the Pats system and Tom Brady, Deion Branch IS "just another guy" WR. A nice player, but not much different that a ton of other guys who play in the NFL and put up moderate numbers.

He's A piece of the puzzle, NOT the stick that stirs the drink. If he had stayed in NE, he would have made a name for himself, just because of the long term association with the Pats. Instead he took obscene money from Seattle (enough to put him in the top 5 paid WRs in the league...at that time), and disappeared for 5 years,

I'm sure it must be like heaven to be back with the Pats, to actually play in meaningful games. I'm also sure he's older and wiser now. Besides HE GOT THE MONEY ALREADY. Right now he's at the stage where he'll play for a few paltry million/yr and it won't matter a bit. He got the big paycheck, and I don't doubt that 99% of it is still in the bank,.

Trouble with that analysis is that Carter is just another self absorbed physically gifted athlete, not much different than a ton of other guys who play in the NFL and put up lots of scheme and circumstance driven empty stats in stretches that don't amount to anything that truly matters... Football is a team game that tends to reward unselfish determination and execution as opposed to individual talent. Deion disappeared in a place where everyone else was already MIA. Heck, Carter was nothing for the first several seasons of his career and his protogee disappears periodically when he's not matched up with a HOF QB or a momentarily powerhouse team... Kurt Warner disappeared mid career and he's still headed to the HOF. Stats or rings - there is more than one way in... I guarantee you the receiving record Jerry Rice and Deion Branch share is more fulfilling than any Carter or Moss will ever hold.

Going by regular season numbers, Deion is solid WR

Going by playoff numbers, Deion is a solid WR

Going by SB performances, Deion is all-world

What does all this mean? Not sure. But the kid sure doesn't cower when the lights get hot.

Here's what I'd like to ask Cris Carter:

What WR is better without Brady than with him? INCLUDING his friend Randy Moss.

TFB actually got Reche Caldwell to catch 70 balls in a season.

Since 2004, Moss is just a JAG when not playing with TFB.

Maybe it's time for him to acknowledge the greatest quaterback ever.

Givens
Branch
Moss
Welker
Patten
Bethel Johnson

The only one I can come up with is Jabar Gaffney - - and that's only because he was the 4 th option when he was here and was in Moss/Welker/Stallworth's shadow.

What does all this mean? Not sure. But the kid sure doesn't cower when the lights get hot.

True. And the lights are going to be blazing on Monday Night. Go Deion!! Go Pats!!

Originally Posted by robertweathers

What does it mean? Carter's a self absorbed moron

Last edited:
I've said this before. David Givens unabashedly said when he left here he was going to whomever paid him the most money. It was honest and refreshing not to hear; "They disrespected, lied, bla, bla, bla." When we all know it's all about the money.

He was a poor man's Hines Ward.

He was a poor man's Hines Ward.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

If he played in a Pats uni, people would love Ward.

He also has the reputation of being a winey, cheap-shot artist.

Givens is a good dude. I used to buy smoothies from his store a few times a week over the summer. He was in there about 70% of the time getting everything tightened up as they had recently opened. I felt bad for the guy as everytime he was in there trying to work he would get mobbed by people - many of whom wouldn't buy anything. There were grown men there asking for his autograph or pictures with him. Through all of that, though, he was cordial, engaging, and polite to everyone who spoke with him. He was both knowledgeable and excited about his products. He designed and decorated the entire place by hand (industrial design major at ND).

I became pretty friendly with him as the summer rolled on and got to talk about everything from fishing to football to NFL contracts to business. He is a very bright and articulate guy. When you hear about how those champion Patriots outworked everyone, it becomes one of the most understated subplots when you hear the stories of how it was in NE. It's really unfortunate what happened to him, and it was pretty clear that Tennessee regally screwed the guy, and that the Patriots trainers were much better than those of the Titans. He's in incredible shape, but only has about 15 degrees of flexion in his knee.

His place is called Euphoria and hopefully they will continue expanding regionally.

Last edited:
Givens is a good dude. I used to buy smoothies from his store a few times a week over the summer. He was in there about 70% of the time getting everything tightened up as they had recently opened. I felt bad for the guy as everytime he was in there trying to work he would get mobbed by people - many of whom wouldn't buy anything. There were grown men there asking for his autograph or pictures with him. Through all of that, though, he was cordial, engaging, and polite to everyone who spoke with him. He was both knowledgeable and excited about his products. He designed and decorated the entire place by hand (industrial design major at ND).

I became pretty friendly with him as the summer rolled on and got to talk about everything from fishing to football to NFL contracts to business. He is a very bright and articulate guy. When you hear about how those champion Patriots outworked everyone, it becomes one of the most understated subplots when you hear the stories of how it was in NE. It's really unfortunate what happened to him, and it was pretty clear that Tennessee regally screwed the guy, and that the Patriots trainers were much better than those of the Titans. He's in incredible shape, but only has about 15 degrees of flexion in his knee.

His place is called Euphoria and hopefully they will continue expanding regionally.

Thanks for the heads-up. Nice to read. I will certainly stop by his store when I am up there. :)

Not sure what you are trying to say.

If he played in a Pats uni, people would love Ward.

He also has the reputation of being a winey, cheap-shot artist.

Do you understand what the idiom 'poor man's ____' means? The poster you quoted was saying he was a big, tough blocking receiver like Hines Ward who wasn't quite as good as Hines Ward. That's all.

In light of the Coles signing, if BB had any Sexy Rexy in him -- which he does not -- he'd sign Givens up for the weekend.

Love the Givens. Love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes