PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Mevis: Doesn't want to play no more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the "keep him" camp. Very happy BB makes roster choices, not me.

Lotsa bashing here - some deserved - but I liked him. Played well, seemed to fit in, was on SB team...

If this article is true, the Jets should deactivate Revis. That Jets team played their asses off against the Patriots on Sunday evening. The younger guys don't need someone around who is not on the bus.

It will be awkward when the Jets retire his number and run through his accomplishments, the greatest being Super Bowl Champion (in the one season where he played for their most hated rival.)

Namath, C-Mart, Maynard and Klecko were deserving.

From 2008-2011 Revis was elite with the Jokes. That's only 4 years.

Does he really deserve a retired number?

I was in the "keep him" camp. Very happy BB makes roster choices, not me.

Lotsa bashing here - some deserved - but I liked him. Played well, seemed to fit in, was on SB team...

I wanted to keep him too but if they did they wouldn't have been able to afford Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins along with keeping Hightower.

:p

Maybe Revis is tired of playing for losers?

The NE pass defense is ranked 28th right now. I would take Revis opposite Butler any day of the week.

They did open the bank account for him. They just didn't open it up quite as much as did the Jets. Will it only be a matter of time before the people trying to turn this into a "gotcha" admit that there's no "gotcha" here?

BTW- you are right to remind us that it's not like the Pats didn't make a very competitive offer in the $11-12MM/yr range, which isn't exactuly chump change, (though I don't recall how much was guarateed. Certainly nothing close to what the Jets paid him up front. But it wasn't like we KNEW this would happen

Intellectually, I agree with what both of you are saying.

Emotionally however, I think we Trust in Belichick "homers" are owed a little crowing for putting up with how obnoxious the second-guessers were for months after we let Revis go.

The cap is crap anyone?

And now one of the biggest offenders at the time is playing some "but technically I wasn't wrong" damage control is a little annoying if not the least bit surprising.

Manta is an absolute tool! He has been killing Revis for years, if anyone thinks that a Revis "confidant" would speak to him, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

That being said, clearly Manta is trolling for Woody, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY in the NFL has played the play, holdout for more m0ney card better than Revis. You have to give the guy credit, he has made @150 million so far in his career. Manta wants Revis to play next year for just the 6 million that is already guaranteed. Let's see here, stay home and do nothing and get paid 6 million dollars, or go through training camp, pre-season, and then a 16 game NFL season and get the same 6 million, hmm, tough choice.

I was all for keep Revis for a year or two, especially when you consider the amount of money that they shelled out to McCourty after he left. But Woody's mortification of watching Revis win a Superbowl with the Pats, made him a) tamper with him, and b) grossly overpay him.

If you watched the action on the field after the game on Sunday, Brady and Revis embraced and looked to be quite friendly with each other. By all accounts, when he was here, Revis was a great player and a good teammate.

Brady has even gone out in the media and said that Revis is hurt, clearly trying to cover for the guy. The only way this gets even better for the Pats is if the Jets cut him in the off season (which they clearly intend on doing, and this article was Manta's way of greasing the skids for the Jets to do that very thing). Then a healthy, lighter Revis, signs an contract with the Pats that somehow doesn't hit any of the off-setsin his current Jets contract, so Woody still has to pay him 6 million, while watching Revis win another Superbowl with the Pats!

Actually I don't necessarily think it was the money, though it could have been. My speculative, hypothetical, wild guess is that he got to the gym one morning and when he started to push is body through the pain, he just didn't want to do what was necessayi\anymore, or at least as hard as he had in the past. After so many yeaers, maybe the game wasn't fun enough. Perhaps he didn't even realize it at te time

Remember Revis was never the best physical athlete. He certainly wasn't tall, and IIRC he was never a burner. But he had great quickness, even better technique, and studied the receivers he was going to cover ad their favorite routes and those subtle keys the gave so he could anticipate the routes they would run.

One TC, when he was going up against Edelman, I swear Revis made the cut BEFORE Edelman on a route. I wasn't sure I saw it right, but he did it again and again during that TC. It was like he was in the receiver's head....in his prime.. And when he was here,, he was a bit past his prime but still pretty awesome.

The point being that without total focus, and being in the best possible condition, it wouldn't take much for Revis to go from elite to being very mortal, and THAT's what he's become.

I believe will likely be gone after this season. I don;t really thinkj he wants to go through ANOTHER Jets rebuild. He's got another $6MM coming regardless.

BTW- you are right to remind us that it's not like the Pats didn't make a very competitive offer in the $11-12MM/yr range, which isn't exactuly chump change, (though I don't recall how much was guarateed. Certainly nothing close to what the Jets paid him up front. But it wasn't like we KNEW this would happen/

\\
I agree with this except for the not a great athlete part. He 6 feet so tall enough and I think he ran sub 4.4 at the combine, so he was fast at least at the start of his career.

When Revis played for the patriots, we won a super bowl and he made the pro bowl as our starting CB. Let's give the man his due respect. He was great for us. No need to bash him now that he's not here, especially all the good he did for our franchise in 2014
In addition, I remember reading an article where Butler talked about how Revis taught him and the other young guys how to break down film. I'm thankful for that but that's in the past, he's a Jet now ( as a result of tampering despite whatever Goodell says) so it is Darelle who????

I think he just got his $$ and gave up. clearly he was motivated in new england. I remember talk he came in overweight last year to the Jets and this year he has looked terrible. maybe he regrets chasing the $$ on a dredge of a team rather than taking less and winning with BB and Brady

once again, another great move by woody...overpay for Revis to spite BB....and in the end they are paying a guy QB money who is playing like a scrub

Maybe Revis is tired of playing for losers?

The NE pass defense is ranked 28th right now. I would take Revis opposite Butler any day of the week.

28th based on what?

He's just collecting a check at this point

BTW- you are right to remind us that it's not like the Pats didn't make a very competitive offer in the $11-12MM/yr range, which isn't exactuly chump change, (though I don't recall how much was guarateed. Certainly nothing close to what the Jets paid him up front. But it wasn't like we KNEW this would happen/

The Patriots often design contracts with ways to get out of them and if in some alternate universe Revis resigned here instead, the team would have had the option to cut bait without as much dead money as the Jets theoretically are in right now.

In other words if we had resigned him we wouldn't even be in the same situation now because if he'd showed up like that during training camp he would have been traded/cut before the season starts with significantly smaller repercussions than what the Jets deal with now.

Never had any animosity towards Revis leaving. I knew he was here for a one year stay. Was never willing to shell out the huge Cap hit to keep him. Wicked pissed that the Jets didn't get fined a draft pick to us for the tampering.

Last edited:
I loved Revis when he was here. Our team defense was awesome when he was with us. Let us not forget that in 2014 we barely gave up a touch down in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the last 7 or so games of the season. I remember seeing an early season 2014 photo of Butler and Revis sitting next to each other. Butler had a look of pure bliss on him (being an UDFA sitting next to a HOFer will do that to you). I am more than sure that some aspect of Butler's elevated performance is the result of the association with Revis. Did you guys notice the gentle pat Revis gives to Brady at the end of Brady's lead block of Blont's run?
I was quite dismayed when Revis and Browner left last year. I would have loved for that 2014 team to have continued on.

I kinda thought this was going to happen. He felt the high of winning it all and had the chance to resign here at a fair market deal. He chose, as usual, the big money and playing for a loser when he already had a bunch of money in the bank. Add in the work that it takes to stay in peak condition at age 31. He probably feels like whether he plays great, average, or below average, what does it matter? Where's the motivation supposed to come from now?

It's one thing when all you know is losing and getting paid. But when he's seen the winning side and chose to go back of his own volition. I'm not surprised in the least to read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore