PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Mevis: Doesn't want to play no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperGTS

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
He was surprised he was targeted lol? Thats kind of click bait BS though, there is no real news in that article.

To all the spaz crybabies that flipped out on here when BB did not pick up Mevis's option

middle-finger-131.jpg

yeah...it WAS a safe space cryathon for a few months...meh....time waits for no man

There were a lot of people on here and in New England who thought we should have opened the bank account for him after 2014.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before all those people come in here to say they were wrong!

I admit I wanted to keep him but I knew they wouldn't re-sign him. Talib is only 7 months younger than Revis... Revis isn't old he is a huge disappointment. It seems like after he got paid he mailed it in. That's a great way to ruin your legacy.

There were a lot of people on here and in New England who thought we should have opened the bank account for him after 2014.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before all those people come in here to say they were wrong!

They did open the bank account for him. They just didn't open it up quite as much as did the Jets. Will it only be a matter of time before the people trying to turn this into a "gotcha" admit that there's no "gotcha" here?

There comes a time in evey pro athlete's career when he just doesn't want to do the work that is necessary to get his body into the kind of condition it needs to be in order to play the game and be the best he or she can be. When I read this rumor I had to believe that once he got the ring that moment came for Revis.

By all reports he was a great teammate when he was here. He did all the work that the team demanded from him (which we all know is a lot). He was certainly the best CB, I'd ever seen at TC wearing a Pats uniform. But it seems now, that beyond the fact he wanted to get back to NY to end his career, where he would clearly get the most money. It is becoming clear that he no longer was willing to put himself through what was necessary to, if not stay at the same elite level, at least to keep the ravages of time to a minimum. And his play over the last 2 years has shown it. It was another reason he was never serious about coming back here, since he knew he didn't want to put in that kind of work they make you do here again.

Normally I'd ignore a rumor article like this one, but the deterioration of Revis' play has less to do with what's happening to him physically, and says a lot more about his mental discipline to put in the hard work. Older players need to do more work to get ready, let alone what they used to be able to do when they are youner.

This only goes to show us how rare a guy Tom Brady truly is because as hard a worker he has been over the years, he's a guy who is willing to go even further than that in order to keep playing at a high level at 39.....and into the future. The miracle of Brady is that he still loves it. Not only the games, but the practices, the film work, and what he has to do to get ready for a season he STILL loves it all.

The day that kind of mental toughness ceases to be there, THAT will be the day we will actually start to see that "serious decline in Brady's play" that people have been predicting for the last half decade. But it is also my belief that the day Brady ceases to love the entire process of playing the game, he will walk away.

Last edited:
There comes a time in evey pro athlete's career when he just doesn't want to do the work that is necessary to get his body into the kind of condition it needs to be in order to play the game and be the best he or she can be. When I read this rumor I had to believe that once he got the ring that moment came for Revis.

Assuming the claim to be true, I'd think it more likely that getting the money alone didn't do it. I'd guess that Revis thought the money would make up for the not winning, that he then showed up fat and happy to camp, and that he eventually became disillusioned when he realized that $Xm+$Ym didn't really make him happier than $Xm+Winning, and there's not really anyone on that Jets team who can push him the way a guy like Brady could.

Of course, It's just speculation.

yeah...it WAS a safe space cryathon for a few months...meh....time waits for no man
Because you've never been negative before.

Assuming the claim to be true, I'd think it more likely that getting the money alone didn't do it. I'd guess that Revis thought the money would make up for the not winning, that he then showed up fat and happy to camp, and that he eventually became disillusioned when he realized that $Xm+$Ym didn't really make him happier than $Xm+Winning, and there's not really anyone on that Jets team who can push him the way a guy like Brady could.

He suggested sucked last year and the jets went 10-6 so that doesn't really hold up

He suggested sucked last year and the jets went 10-6 so that doesn't really hold up

Sure it does. Revis was injured last year, missed games, struggled to regain his top form, and then saw his team playing games with the QB that got them to 10-6. That's the perfect recipe for mailing it in going forward.

It will be awkward when the Jets retire his number and run through his accomplishments, the greatest being Super Bowl Champion (in the one season where he played for their most hated rival.)

When Revis played for the patriots, we won a super bowl and he made the pro bowl as our starting CB. Let's give the man his due respect. He was great for us. No need to bash him now that he's not here, especially all the good he did for our franchise in 2014

Actually I don't necessarily think it was the money, though it could have been. My speculative, hypothetical, wild guess is that he got to the gym one morning and when he started to push is body through the pain, he just didn't want to do what was necessayi\anymore, or at least as hard as he had in the past. After so many yeaers, maybe the game wasn't fun enough. Perhaps he didn't even realize it at te time

Remember Revis was never the best physical athlete. He certainly wasn't tall, and IIRC he was never a burner. But he had great quickness, even better technique, and studied the receivers he was going to cover ad their favorite routes and those subtle keys the gave so he could anticipate the routes they would run.

One TC, when he was going up against Edelman, I swear Revis made the cut BEFORE Edelman on a route. I wasn't sure I saw it right, but he did it again and again during that TC. It was like he was in the receiver's head....in his prime.. And when he was here,, he was a bit past his prime but still pretty awesome.

The point being that without total focus, and being in the best possible condition, it wouldn't take much for Revis to go from elite to being very mortal, and THAT's what he's become.

I believe will likely be gone after this season. I don;t really thinkj he wants to go through ANOTHER Jets rebuild. He's got another $6MM coming regardless.

BTW- you are right to remind us that it's not like the Pats didn't make a very competitive offer in the $11-12MM/yr range, which isn't exactuly chump change, (though I don't recall how much was guarateed. Certainly nothing close to what the Jets paid him up front. But it wasn't like we KNEW this would happen/

\\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye