PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Mevis: Doesn't want to play no more

Status
Not open for further replies.
His career trajectory is looking a lot like Asomugha's, and I'm not sure how many people are rushing to put Nnamdi in the HOF.
Interesting point. The Jets hyped up the 2015 signing of Revis as this great homecoming clearly leading to a HOF jacket. If he's now viewed as an embarrassment, I doubt that the NJFL will push for that HOF jacket for Revis.

Despite going to the AFCCG and almost winning (despite a lot of injuries) and going back to the SB. I really missed the swagger that 2014 had with Revis and Browner brought to the defense. Also seemed to bring a decent amount of turnovers. BUT, it was obvious Revis only cared about the money when he went back to the Jets.

Revis play in 2014 as far exceeded butlers play this year. Butler gets trashed on by tall receivers. Butler is a good number 2 not a number 1 like 2014 Revis was.

Butler, at 1/28th the cap hit of Revis, is FAR more valuable to the New England Patriots TEAM than Revis was in 2014. His current cap hit allows the franchise to do more things. He is a better value. It's not even close.

By the way - let's repeat that - 1/28th.

And he is a better CB contemporaneously in 2016 than Revis.

Aaron Hernandez was another excellent player for the Patriots.

#$%^ him too.

Sorry, I'm not going to show my appreciation to players who publicly crap all over the franchise.

Last edited:
Remember Revis was never the best physical athlete. He certainly wasn't tall, and IIRC he was never a burner. But he had great quickness, even better technique, and studied the receivers he was going to cover ad their favorite routes and those subtle keys the gave so he could anticipate the routes they would run.
\\

Might want to double-check your memory, old timer! ;)

Height: 5114
Weight: 204
40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Dash: 2.49
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.56

Those are elite change of direction skills, short area acceleration, and explosion numbers. Half an inch shy of 6 feet is irrelevant when you have that kind of athleticism and speed. Revis could have gone down in history as the best ever if he had a work ethic like Brady's.

Last edited:
Good memory but a little short.

Revis shut Smith down in the 2nd half vs the Ravens. 3 catches for 44 yards and 1 TD. Wow.

Smith and Revis hooked up on several occasions throughout the contest, and the veteran pass catcher had three catches for 44 yards and a touchdown. The score came in the first quarter on a 9-yard pass from quarterback Joe Flacco. But Smith was held without a catch in the second half, as the New England defense shut him out in the third and fourth quarter.

Darrelle Revis: Steve Smith ‘got erased’ down the stretch

You're leaving out the 2 PI's he had that helped keep those stats low.

One which led to a FG and the other which led to a TD. It's in the article you linked. Just sayin'.

Look, was he a great player? No doubt. Is Malcolm Butler a better value to the TEAM in the salary cap world in 2016 at $600K than Darrelle Revis was in 2014 at $17 million? No doubt.

The Patriots made him a Champion. I have no beef with him making his money and leaving them for more. Just as I would have no beef with Malcolm if he did the same.

The gratuitously public Deflategate statements REVIS has made ever since earns him the attitude he gets from Pats fans.

Last edited:
Like he did in 2014? When Revis and the defense **** the bed in 2 games. Down 14 twice to the Ravens and down 10 points in the 4th quarter of the SB.

They also did not allow a fourth quarter point for something like the final ten games. The defense was good in 2014 but not necessarily much better than some of the other defenses from 2010-15 (besides 2011). The thing most people don't understand is that "the best" offense or defense don't always be the ones who win the championship, so there is an element of fate and legacy that becomes immortalized when talking about championship teams. You are correct, though, that the defense was far from a shut-down unit, and had Brady not come up with second half magic in divisional round against Baltimore, we would be talking about that defense as a bust and saying they were not championship caliber for one reason or another. The was one pathetic effort from the 2014 defense against Joe Flacco, especially that opening third quarter drive where no one was within 20 yards of the ball several times. Brady won that game and turned the momentum; few, if any other quarterbacks, would have won that game, nor would they have one the Super Bowl or even taken the lead against Seattle from 10 points down in the fourth.

Despite going to the AFCCG and almost winning (despite a lot of injuries) and going back to the SB. I really missed the swagger that 2014 had with Revis and Browner brought to the defense. Also seemed to bring a decent amount of turnovers. BUT, it was obvious Revis only cared about the money when he went back to the Jets.

They really didn't force a ton of turnovers.

16ints+ 16 forced fumbles= 32 TOs forced.

12INTs + 22 FF = 34 TOs.

They have 17 forced TOs now and need to force 15 TOs in 5 games to equal 2014.

Possible, but highly unlikely.

Good memory but a little short.

Revis shut Smith down in the 2nd half vs the Ravens. 3 catches for 44 yards and 1 TD. Wow.

Smith and Revis hooked up on several occasions throughout the contest, and the veteran pass catcher had three catches for 44 yards and a touchdown. The score came in the first quarter on a 9-yard pass from quarterback Joe Flacco. But Smith was held without a catch in the second half, as the New England defense shut him out in the third and fourth quarter.

Darrelle Revis: Steve Smith ‘got erased’ down the stretch
Hell, if Tom doesn't pull a Ryan Fitzpatrick before the half, the Patriots don't go into the half down 7 WITH the Ravens getting the ball.

We should make him a Pats Hall of Famer just to spite the Jets. You can vote someone in for spite...right?

hqdefault.jpg
No thanks. Lol

Screw Revis. I miss Talib :(

They really are the Charlie Brown franchise of the NFL

There comes a time in evey pro athlete's career when he just doesn't want to do the work that is necessary to get his body into the kind of condition it needs to be in order to play the game and be the best he or she can be. When I read this rumor I had to believe that once he got the ring that moment came for Revis.

By all reports he was a great teammate when he was here. He did all the work that the team demanded from him (which we all know is a lot). He was certainly the best CB, I'd ever seen at TC wearing a Pats uniform. But it seems now, that beyond the fact he wanted to get back to NY to end his career, where he would clearly get the most money. It is becoming clear that he no longer was willing to put himself through what was necessary to, if not stay at the same elite level, at least to keep the ravages of time to a minimum. And his play over the last 2 years has shown it. It was another reason he was never serious about coming back here, since he knew he didn't want to put in that kind of work they make you do here again.

Normally I'd ignore a rumor article like this one, but the deterioration of Revis' play has less to do with what's happening to him physically, and says a lot more about his mental discipline to put in the hard work. Older players need to do more work to get ready, let alone what they used to be able to do when they are youner.

This only goes to show us how rare a guy Tom Brady truly is because as hard a worker he has been over the years, he's a guy who is willing to go even further than that in order to keep playing at a high level at 39.....and into the future. The miracle of Brady is that he still loves it. Not only the games, but the practices, the film work, and what he has to do to get ready for a season he STILL loves it all.

The day that kind of mental toughness ceases to be there, THAT will be the day we will actually start to see that "serious decline in Brady's play" that people have been predicting for the last half decade. But it is also my belief that the day Brady ceases to love the entire process of playing the game, he will walk away.
I wonder, if to some degree, a player's fixation on money is a sign of less than total interest in football. As you state, Brady loves the game, plays for less than he could get, and goes through the hard job of mental and physical preparation. Revis, of late, is a contrast. Maybe, love of money and love of the game add to a constant; the more of one, the less of the other.

When Revis played for the patriots, we won a super bowl and he made the pro bowl as our starting CB. Let's give the man his due respect. He was great for us. No need to bash him now that he's not here, especially all the good he did for our franchise in 2014

I appreciate his efforts in helping us win a superbowl, but he's a Jet now and bleeds green... he was also classless when he left and almost immediately started ****ting on Brady and the Pats during deflategate, implying that they've been caught cheating and are always pushing the rules

Thanks for the memory Revis, but kindly go **** yourself!

We could use prime Revised about now. Would certainly take some of the Gronk pain away. Oh, so would having Collins and Chandler

We could use prime Revised about now. Would certainly take some of the Gronk pain away. Oh, so would having Collins and Chandler
We could use a prime Antonio Gates too. Who cares since Revis wouldnt be anywhere near his prime if he was here. The CJ thing has been covered.

You are kinda dumb arent ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case