PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats' reliance on the run may not be a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They will ask Brady to beat them"

Curran. Get off the pipe.

Exactly on point. Big trouble next week if the Pats get behind.

Typical "If all the things that went right went in the other direction horribly the Pats would have lost" piece. I give it a solid F+.

Good stuff from Curran. Pains some here to say it, but you want to have the luxury of handing it off, not being forced into it.

He's 100% right.

Tell that to the Saints, Browns, Panthers (if they actually called a penalty), Texans and Broncos.

Brady shredded all of them.

Tell that to the Saints, Browns, Panthers (if they actually called a penalty), Texans and Broncos.

He had Dobson and/or Boyce and/or Gronk and/or a useful KT for most of the above.

Pats are down to three slot receivers.

Typical "If all the things that went right went in the other direction horribly the Pats would have lost" piece. I give it a solid F+.

Agreed. They won by three touchdowns. I wonder how many articles there are on the Seahawks and 49ers winning by 8, 3, and 13? Oh, but they're super awesome NFC teams.

Agreed. They won by three touchdowns. I wonder how many articles there are on the Seahawks and 49ers winning by 8, 3, and 13? Oh, but they're super awesome NFC teams.

Exactly. Someone had to come around and put a negative spin on what the Patriots are doing. Can't have this team enjoying their success.

FWIW, I dont think seattle is as great it is made out to be . And this is about the pats and he has some great pts. He doesnt go all shaugnessy and say this team's offense sucks. Its just the situation the offense is in. Even our rookie WR are injured. We have 2 slot guys and a RB catching balls and 4 RBs so they are leaning on what they have. No one predicted how the pats ran vs the ravens but that was/is their strenght and they had no choice.
The key for the running which i think he missed is how the defense plays. If they can get off the field and create turnovers pats can keep with the running game.

it is just never good enough in Patriots land .. Always a negative spin on something, regardless if it is true .. Can we atleast go 24 hours enjoying the wins as "fans" .... sheesh..

Stupid analysis, I expect better than that from Curran. It boils down to "when Brady throws it a lot the games are close". No, if the games are close Brady throws it a lot... As in he runs a two minute offense so they don't lose by running out of time. Those games ended with 15 to 20 straight passing plays.

Throughout the year the Pats have had a balanced offense through 3 quarters, but when behind in the fourth they throw, when ahead they run. That explains the balance in all games, including the last 3.

He had Dobson and/or Boyce and/or Gronk and/or a useful KT for most of the above.

Pats are down to three slot receivers.

I recall Edelman and Amendola gashing Miami with no Gronk, Dobson, Boyce, or Thompkins

CISGS, Meet Rob Gronkowski. He is probably the most dominant non-QB in the NFL, and he played against the Texans, Broncos and Panthers, and half of the Browns game. He is out for the year.

Brady really struggled against the Saints and Browns and I don't think those are the games you want to be highlighting to for the point that the Patriots passing game should be feared or that Brady "shredded" anybody.

Simply put, Edelman, Amendola and Vereen aren't scaring anybody. There are no TE's that can catch the ball. There are no outside WR's. It's similar to last year against the Ravens. No Gronk, no outside WR's, no passing game. This year, at least we have a running game, and the point of the article was that stopping that will be the focus, which it undoubtedly will be.

right now it will be hard to come from behind 14+ points with their commitment to the run and injuries to dobson and KT

Stupid analysis, I expect better than that from Curran. It boils down to "when Brady throws it a lot the games are close". No, if the games are close Brady throws it a lot... As in he runs a two minute offense so they don't lose by running out of time. Those games ended with 15 to 20 straight passing plays.

Throughout the year the Pats have had a balanced offense through 3 quarters, but when behind in the fourth they throw, when ahead they run. That explains the balance in all games, including the last 3.

Our passing offensive players are not the same even from 3 weeks ago. No TE threat, dobson,KT,boyce all out so no real deep threat. Pats passing offense is amendola and edelman with vereen as a pass catcher. So if we have to throw 50 passes between these 3 , not going to be easy.If the pats had gronk and dobson yesterday they certainly wouldve aired it out more on first down. Right now in the last 3 weeks most of the passing is done of play action which most of the times needs a running game.
Its easier right now to lean on the running game and there is nothing wrong with the observation.

Exactly. Someone had to come around and put a negative spin on what the Patriots are doing. Can't have this team enjoying their success.

It is a "negative spin" to point out that the Patriots passing game is not working and that they are in trouble if they need to rely on it? You would rather read an article breathlessly praising every aspect of the team and saying that they are locks to win the SB?

The running game is a problem if the defense is giving up points.

It is a "negative spin" to point out that the Patriots passing game is not working and that they are in trouble if they need to rely on it? You would rather read an article breathlessly praising every aspect of the team and saying that they are locks to win the SB?

No. He is saying that it so so very typical in Pats Nation to have a great win by the team and then quickly turn around and discuss how we are in trouble next week. Not even a day can pass before the negative talk and concerns come along.

Yes it is true that the lack of weapons in the passing game may be detrimental if the run game cant get it done. That is an obvious statement. And it's not as if the Pats coaching staff isn't aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST