PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In your opinion, how good does the #3 pick QB need to be?

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the long run? Which of these guys would be a good enough return on the #3 pick, for you?

I thought you meant the #3 QB on the roster. I am like "he needs to be able to hand the ball off". The #3 pick? He's a solid day 1 starter who evolves into a pro-bowler and an all-pro. My expectations are pretty high. So... the safe move and likely more successful play to fit that mode is to trade back a few spots and take Alt or Fashenu. Stockpile picks. That doesn't sell tickets tho, or fix the QB problem. Mac Jones' problem just left the building, so there's a possibility that he's still here in 2024 as far as I am concerned. I don't think he;s the answer, but he has next to no value now, and is still on a rookie deal.

I guess the new coach better hope that Williams/Daniels/Maye is a franchise cornerstone.

If we draft a QB at #3, I'd expect to be in the playoffs at the minimum year 2
Win a division by year 3

I thought you meant the #3 QB on the roster. I am like "he needs to be able to hand the ball off". The #3 pick? He's a solid day 1 starter who evolves into a pro-bowler and an all-pro. My expectations are pretty high. So... the safe move and likely more successful play to fit that mode is to trade back a few spots and take Alt or Fashenu. Stockpile picks. That doesn't sell tickets tho, or fix the QB problem. Mac Jones' problem just left the building, so there's a possibility that he's still here in 2024 as far as I am concerned. I don't think he;s the answer, but he has next to no value now, and is still on a rookie deal.

I guess the new coach better hope that Williams/Daniels/Maye is a franchise cornerstone.
The Bengals got Burrow, who, despite a very poor O-Line, has thrived. Burrow had Higgins and then Chase. They still need to greatly improve the O-Line though. I suppose there are different ways to build a championship contender/winner. O-Line picks aren't sexy and don't sell tickets, but are a must for a QB to perform and even excel. Especially if you get a QB that has franchise potential.

Top 15 qb in the league

Eli Manning or better.

Only 3 top 3 pick QBs have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years and only 1 with the team that drafted them….

If they aren’t generational or you feel is a 10 year starter take MhJ

You look at the most successful teams in the NFL. First off none of them are starting a top 3 pick QB and second off all of them built the team first and plugged the QB in after.

Going back 25 years in the history of top draft picks, top QB picks and those immediately after.

1.1 QB Tim Couch
1.2 QB Donovan McNabb
1.3 Qb Akili Smith
Next picks: Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, Torry Holt, Champ Bailey, David Boston, Chris Claiborne, Chris McAlister and Daunte Culpepper.
The draft choices obviously went horribly wrong for the Browns and Bengals.

First QB was Chad Pennington at #18. That QB class has previously been researched quite extensively.

1.1 QB Michael Vick
Three QBs were drafted in the 2nd round: 2.32 Drew Brees, 2.53 Quincy Carter, 2.59 Marques Tuiasosopo

1.1 QB David Carr
1.3 QB Joey Harrinton
DE Julius Peppers was the right pick at #2. Several good players from #5 to #11.
The next QBs were 1.32 Patrick Ramsey, 3.81 Josh McCown, 4.108 David Garrard and 4.117 Rohan Davey

1.1 QB Carson Palmer was the right pick.
The next QBs were 1.7 Byron Leftwich, 1.19 Kyle Boller and 1.22 Rex Grossman. Brian Billick wanted Boller so badly Baltimore traded picks with the Pats that turned into Vince Wilfork and Eugene Wilson.

1.1 Eli Manning
1.3 Philip Rivers
1.11 Ben Roethlisberger
The big gaffe in this draft was OT Robert Gallery by the Raiders with the 2nd pick.

1.1 QB Alex Smith
1.24 QB Aaron Rodgers
1.25 QB Jason Campbell
The bad picks in this draft were at other offensive skill positions, not QB. Tampa Bay (RB Cadillac Williams, 1.5), Minnesota (WR Troy Williamson, 1.7), and Detroit (WR Mike Williams, 1.10) were selected just prior to LBs DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Thomas Davis and Derrick Johnson.

1.3 QB Vince Young
1.10 QB Matt Leinart
1.11 QB Jay Cutler
The top two picks were DE Mario Williams and RB Reggie Bush.

1.1 QB JaMarcus Russell
1.22 QB Brady Quinn
2.36 QB Kevin Kolb
Another mistake by the Raiders, as Al Davis had lost some zip off his fastball by this point. The 2nd and 3rd picks were Hall of Famers: WR Calvin Johnson and OT Joe Thomas.

1.3 QB Matt Ryan
1.18 QB Joe Flacco
2.57 QB Chad Henne
The top two picks were OT Jake Long and DE Chris Long. The Jets had the worst pick, Vernon Gholston at #6. This was the draft that the Pats used an early pick, 3.94 on QB Kevin O'Connell - which I never understood.

1.1 QB Matt Stafford
1.5 QB Mark Sanchez
1.17 QB Josh Freeman
The #2 pick was a bust (OT Jason Smith), the #3 (DE Tyson Jackson) was okay but below expectations of a #3.
Obviously the 2nd and 3rd QBs of this draft did not pan out. The Jets could have had WR Michael Crabtree, LB Brian Orakpo or S Malcolm Jenkins; the Bucs missed on C Alex Mack, WR Percy Harvin, CB Vontae Davis and LB Clay Matthews, all selected a few spots later.

1.1 QB Sam Bradford
1.25 QB Tim Tebow
2.48 QB Jimmy Clausen
Picks #2 through #7 were all Pro Bowlers: DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Gerald McCoy, OT Trent Williams, S Eric Berry, OT Russell Okung and CB Joe Haden. The decision to trade a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to move up to select Tebow has to be one of the worst draft trades in NFL history.

1.1 QB Cam Newton
1.8 QB Jake Locker
1.10 QB Blaine Gabbert
Newton was a very good player before he arrived in New England; Locker and Gabbert never lived up to their draft status. The players selected #2 through #7 were all Pro Bowlwers, as was the one at #9 between Locker and Gabbert. The player taken after Gabbert was DE JJ Watt.

I need a break, will get to 2012-2023 later...

Going back 25 years in the history of top draft picks, top QB picks and those immediately after.

1.1 QB Tim Couch
1.2 QB Donovan McNabb
1.3 Qb Akili Smith
Next picks: Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, Torry Holt, Champ Bailey, David Boston, Chris Claiborne, Chris McAlister and Daunte Culpepper.
The draft choices obviously went horribly wrong for the Browns and Bengals.

First QB was Chad Pennington at #18. That QB class has previously been researched quite extensively.

1.1 QB Michael Vick
Three QBs were drafted in the 2nd round: 2.32 Drew Brees, 2.53 Quincy Carter, 2.59 Marques Tuiasosopo

1.1 QB David Carr
1.3 QB Joey Harrinton
DE Julius Peppers was the right pick at #2. Several good players from #5 to #11.
The next QBs were 1.32 Patrick Ramsey, 3.81 Josh McCown, 4.108 David Garrard and 4.117 Rohan Davey

1.1 QB Carson Palmer was the right pick.
The next QBs were 1.7 Byron Leftwich, 1.19 Kyle Boller and 1.22 Rex Grossman. Brian Billick wanted Boller so badly Baltimore traded picks with the Pats that turned into Vince Wilfork and Eugene Wilson.

1.1 Eli Manning
1.3 Philip Rivers
1.11 Ben Roethlisberger
The big gaffe in this draft was OT Robert Gallery by the Raiders with the 2nd pick.

1.1 QB Alex Smith
1.24 QB Aaron Rodgers
1.25 QB Jason Campbell
The bad picks in this draft were at other offensive skill positions, not QB. Tampa Bay (RB Cadillac Williams, 1.5), Minnesota (WR Troy Williamson, 1.7), and Detroit (WR Mike Williams, 1.10) were selected just prior to LBs DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Thomas Davis and Derrick Johnson.

1.3 QB Vince Young
1.10 QB Matt Leinart
1.11 QB Jay Cutler
The top two picks were DE Mario Williams and RB Reggie Bush.

1.1 QB JaMarcus Russell
1.22 QB Brady Quinn
2.36 QB Kevin Kolb
Another mistake by the Raiders, as Al Davis had lost some zip off his fastball by this point. The 2nd and 3rd picks were Hall of Famers: WR Calvin Johnson and OT Joe Thomas.

1.3 QB Matt Ryan
1.18 QB Joe Flacco
2.57 QB Chad Henne
The top two picks were OT Jake Long and DE Chris Long. The Jets had the worst pick, Vernon Gholston at #6. This was the draft that the Pats used an early pick, 3.94 on QB Kevin O'Connell - which I never understood.

1.1 QB Matt Stafford
1.5 QB Mark Sanchez
1.17 QB Josh Freeman
The #2 pick was a bust (OT Jason Smith), the #3 (DE Tyson Jackson) was okay but below expectations of a #3.
Obviously the 2nd and 3rd QBs of this draft did not pan out. The Jets could have had WR Michael Crabtree, LB Brian Orakpo or S Malcolm Jenkins; the Bucs missed on C Alex Mack, WR Percy Harvin, CB Vontae Davis and LB Clay Matthews, all selected a few spots later.

1.1 QB Sam Bradford
1.25 QB Tim Tebow
2.48 QB Jimmy Clausen
Picks #2 through #7 were all Pro Bowlers: DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Gerald McCoy, OT Trent Williams, S Eric Berry, OT Russell Okung and CB Joe Haden. The decision to trade a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to move up to select Tebow has to be one of the worst draft trades in NFL history.

1.1 QB Cam Newton
1.8 QB Jake Locker
1.10 QB Blaine Gabbert
Newton was a very good player before he arrived in New England; Locker and Gabbert never lived up to their draft status. The players selected #2 through #7 were all Pro Bowlwers, as was the one at #9 between Locker and Gabbert. The player taken after Gabbert was DE JJ Watt.

I need a break, will get to 2012-2023 later...

All of the info on the QB's this century is in the post.

I will always give Tebow a pass as an NFL quarter because I will never forget that morning when he beat the Steelers and the rapist in the playoffs.

Let’s say this. Out of all the QBs in the nfl which ones would you be happy if this guy turned into.

10. No
Allen. Yes
Tua. No
Rodgers. Yes

Pickett. No
Lamar. No
Burrow yes
Watson. No

Lawrence. TBD
Richardson. No
Stroud. TBD so far yes
Levis. No but tbd still

Jimmy g. No
Mahomie yes
Herbert. ??? So far no but potentially yes
Wilson. Yes

D Jones no
Hurts. No
Dak. No
Howell. No

Cousins no
Fields no
Love. No
Goff. No

Mayfield no
Carr. No
Young. No
Ridder. No

Stafford. No
Murrray. No
Geno no
Purdy. So far yes.

That’s not a lot of yesses.

They're not taking a QB at #3.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back