PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran Knows Something

Stare Down The Good The Bad And The Ugly GIF

OIG3.r5MZ.f1dwrCWnFwthNCH.jpeg

We all know that Curran and Mayo are close personally.

Curran has been pining for a trade down for months.

Over the past two days he started to change his tune…pumping up Drake Maye and his toughness. Then today, he just released his new podcast episode and said “I’ve heard it would take a lot MORE than 3 first round picks for them to consider trading down because of how they see the top quarterbacks ”.

What does it all mean? Could be nothing. Personally, I think Curran got a wink wink from Mayo, “don’t overthink it, we’re taking Drake Maye”.

FWIW
There's only about 2M people that have the Pats picking Maye. I guess Mayo's been doing a lot of winking.

I’ve talked myself into all three guys really. If I had to rank them I would probably rank them - Maye, Daniels, McCarthy. But I wouldn’t be upset with any. Maye has that upside potential that I can’t ignore, even if his bust risk scare me a little. But at least I’ll take “makes a weird throw that’s just off the mark sometimes” over “makes dumb ass decisions”. You can more easily fix the first one with technical changes, the second one is a mental issue. His Pro Day was also extremely detailed and showed he is committed to proving himself and putting the work in to be his best. He threw so much and so many varieties of types of throws that he made some mistakes which he got flak for but I view it as a positive…
I'm not sold on JJ, but looking at this chart, you don't want to be in the lower left quadrant. All top 3 picks are there, where Howell is. Daniels looks scary. Now look at JJ, or better yet, Penix.

Or he was asked to hype some QBs and say it would take a lot so that some team pays a lot?

Either way there is no way the team would tell him about the player they want as that would only increase the % of them getting taken before.
Do you really think George Paton, Tom Telesco, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, or Joe Schoen are listening to anything Curran has to say? If they want to know the price for the trade, they'll just call Wolf.

Anything Curran says is only for the Patriots faithful.

Though it gives less scope for the angry posturing so much in vogue amongst the fandom, we should consider that Mayo means simply and very reasonably what he says: 1) We like the qb's on offer, but none, of course, is perfect, 2) We do need a quarterback, 3) This is not our only chance to get one: it is merely our current one, 4) Therefore, though we will indeed likely take a qb - with the usual and appropriate degree of apprehension - if someone offers us a great deal for the pick, enough that we can accomplish other of our goals and still have (another) shot at a qb, this year or next, we might well accept that offer.

Combine all this with the fact that we do not yet know what the offers are, and all the handwringing hereabouts is really just a waste of time.

Can’t wait till Maye is officially a Patriot.

Though it gives less scope for the angry posturing so much in vogue amongst the fandom, we should consider that Mayo means simply and very reasonably what he says: 1) We like the qb's on offer, but none, of course, is perfect, 2) We do need a quarterback, 3) This is not our only chance to get one: it is merely our current one, 4) Therefore, though we will indeed likely take a qb - with the usual and appropriate degree of apprehension - if someone offers us a great deal for the pick, enough that we can accomplish other of our goals and still have (another) shot at a qb, this year or next, we might well accept that offer.

Combine all this with the fact that we do not yet know what the offers are, and all the handwringing hereabouts is really just a waste of time.
How dare you be so level-headed about this!

If the offers are not good enough and the Pats pick a QB it is comforting that the three candidates seem like solid citizens with good leadership skills in addition to having more than adequate physical tools. The Pats are in a great position, we just have to trust that they know what they are doing.

Caveat 1: I think they stand pat and take a QB at 3.

BUT, and understanding that it's not without risk (and without going into all the possible permutations why I think this is possible), it's still likely that NE can get JJ at 11, or worse case Penix/Nix (notwithstanding the team hasn't shown much if any interest in either.)

Pro: They end draft day with a QB they like, a (likely) starting LT and very good WR (or trade 34 for Higgins) + an extra 1st round pick next year. (It will be much harder to get both a starting OT and a WR with picks 34 and 68.)
Con: They get a lesser QB prospect.

Caveat 2: Trade would be something like 11, 23, 4th, and next year 1. That's an overpay but needs to be in order to move down

If the offers are not good enough and the Pats pick a QB it is comforting that the three candidates seem like solid citizens with good leadership skills in addition to having more than adequate physical tools. The Pats are in a great position, we just have to trust that they know what they are doing.
Trust is earned. And this a long process so smoke 'em if you got 'em.

I think this is true for the second tier, too.

This looks like a pretty unique year for QBs - but then again, we've heard that before.

Caveat 1: I think they stand pat and take a QB at 3.

BUT, and understanding that it's not without risk (and without going into all the possible permutations why I think this is possible), it's still likely that NE can get JJ at 11, or worse case Penix/Nix (notwithstanding the team hasn't shown much if any interest in either.)

Pro: They end draft day with a QB they like, a (likely) starting LT and very good WR (or trade 34 for Higgins) + an extra 1st round pick next year. (It will be much harder to get both a starting OT and a WR with picks 34 and 68.)
Con: They get a lesser QB prospect.

Caveat 2: Trade would be something like 11, 23, 4th, and next year 1. That's an overpay but needs to be in order to move down
2 firsts Jefferson and a second this year for me.

Trust is earned. And this a long process so smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Very true. At the moment we are prisoners of the earning process so smoking is one way to pass the time.

Mayo is obviously playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers

I agree with all this. You can't hire people, then immediately complain they haven't done anything before giving them a full chance to - yep...DO something.

On the same podcast he had a Washington insider reporter saying he believes Washington is taking Daniels, 80-85 percent sure.

I believe Maye will be there at 3 and NE will draft him.

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back