Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Patriots Notebook: Ex-boss praises Caldwell

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, May 12, 2006
BY TOM E. CURRAN
Journal Sports Writer

Reche Caldwell has barely made an impact yet in the NFL. Who says he's poised to make one now?

His former boss, of all people. San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith yesterday predicted that wide receiver Caldwell, acquired by the Patriots this offseason, will have an impact in New England.

"That organization really knows how to get packages together for particular players and get the most out of people," Smith said. "I've seen it time and time again. They bring a player in that hasn't had success and give him specific instruction that lets the player know what he needs to do to succeed. It's like individual lesson plans. Wade Phillips (the Chargers' defensive coordinator) does that here. (Patriots head coach Bill Belichick) gets most of the credit for his emphasis on defense, but he gets the most out of players on defense and offense."

While with the Chargers, Caldwell. . . .

"He's been hurt," Smith explained. "He's really had some tough gos physically. With a change of scenery, he really could prosper."

Smith said Caldwell had no real shortcomings in terms of going over the middle or working in a system that called on receivers to make post-snap reads of corners and safeties and run corresponding routes.

"He just couldn't catch a break (in San Diego)," Smith said. "He is very talented. The Patriots are taking a chance on that talent and hoping he stays healthy. In this league, players and coaches move all the time and they go from one place where they weren't performing well to another place where they prosper. We just made a deal like that to get (wide receiver) Rashaun Woods for (defensive back) Sammie Davis. Maybe the change benefits both players."

Meanwhile, Smith said that the Pats haven't shown interest in San Diego linebacker Donnie Edwards, who's been on the trading block since before the draft.

Hopefully, Reche will be healthy and productive in his stint here in NE...

I know that he has the talent...

I see some of that quote as AJ taking another swipe at Marty and his staff.
Whereas Wade Phillips is AJ's guy.

Smith's heart sank when the Patriots picked him up - if he turns out to be another botched move like Rodney Harrison is career could be caput

He's trying to at least cut his losses by putting Caldwell in the "change of scenery category" so Chargers fans don't lynch him if and when Caldwell turns into a productive player

I'll throw in a little bit from what I heard

1. Caldwell is a good WR whos been improving on his skills each year at SD
2. Hes fast and has very good hands, last i heard
3. Hes got good size, similar to Givens
4. He can return kicks..i think last year against Raiders he had a 60 yard return

Negatives
1. He fumbles way too much..he needs to hold on ball tighter when running or absorbing a hit
2. Inconsistent. He can go from 0 catches in a game..shutdown to making a huge play next game.

I really think he gets a good shot here. Bill knows what he got in Caldwel..if he can stay healthy and fix simple mistakes, he can be a solid #2 guy for us incase Jackson isnt ready right away

Last edited by a moderator:
Remix 6 said:
..if he can stay healthy and fix simple mistakes, he can be a solid #2 guy for us incase Jackson isnt ready right away

I was among the biggest proponents of Jackson before the draft, and am confident he will be a big contributor this year, but if he and Caldwell only COMBINE for #2 WR numbers this season, I'd say we're in pretty good shape

tkayo said:
I see some of that quote as AJ taking another swipe at Marty and his staff.
Whereas Wade Phillips is AJ's guy.

Completely agree! He just can't resist, even after the owner told both of them to play nice.

Remix 6 said:

You never want to cut a guy who is still improving, even if he isn;'t improving very fast. You don't know how good a guy can be until he hits his level.

Remix 6 said:

2. Hes fast and has very good hands, last i heard
3. Hes got good size, similar to Givens
4. He can return kicks..i think last year against Raiders he had a 60 yard return

Negatives
1. He fumbles way too much..he needs to hold on ball tighter when running or absorbing a hit
2. Inconsistent. He can go from 0 catches in a game..shutdown to making a huge play next game.

I really think he gets a good shot here. Bill knows what he got in Caldwel..if he can stay healthy and fix simple mistakes, he can be a solid #2 guy for us incase Jackson isnt ready right away

Remix - I am pretty sure I read that he is actually not a fumbler at all. Somewhere, i believe it was pointed out that whoever had called him a fumbler was wrong.

Maybe someone can prove it - if this is so, it means the only thing keeping him from being really good would be injury and inconsistentcy.

Caldwell had three fumbles last year and 28 receptions.

By way of comparison, Branch had two fumbles over the last 4 years, with with 218 receptions over that time.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
Caldwell had three fumbles last year and 28 receptions.

By way of comparison, Branch had two fumbles over the last 4 years, with with 218 receptions over that time.

were those on kick returns or offense... big difference

What a surprise!!

A GM in a power struggle with his coach thinks that one of his draft picks will do well on another team.

IMO, that is not exactly a ringing endorsement. I, for one, would expect Smith to say what he said.

Not buying it.

Reche Caldwell lacks talent.

what makes you think he lacks talent? He was 2nd rounder. Hes fast ..runs in 4.4s(faster than Givens). He was really coming on but injuries and FUMBLES hurt him. He does not lack talent. He has talent. He needs to showcase them by fixing little things. If he plays to full potential compared to Givens..i bet Caldwell is better. Im not saying this because Givens is gone..i loved David but Caldwell is very talented. Hes got good hands and speed. If he stops fumbling..he'll be a lot better than what you think

ask any Charger fan and they'll come up with a phrase about his fumbling. He fumbled i believe 2 games away..it literally cost them to game. One i think was against Eagles but im not sure

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
what makes you think he lacks talent? He was 2nd rounder. Hes fast ..runs in 4.4s(faster than Givens).
Caldwell had a 4.53 40. Givens had a 4.56 40.

If he stops fumbling..he'll be a lot better than what you think

ask any Charger fan and they'll come up with a phrase about his fumbling. He fumbled i believe 2 games away..it literally cost them to game. One i think was against Eagles but im not sure

Pretty Good Recall.

3-10-PHI37 (1:44) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass to R.Caldwell to PHI 18 for 19 yards (S.Brown). FUMBLES (S.Brown), touched at PHI 18, RECOVERED by PHI-D.Walker at PHI 19. D.Walker to PHI 19 for no gain (R.Caldwell). Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.
Philadelphia Eagles at 01:34
1-10-PHI19 (1:34) D.McNabb kneels to PHI 18 for -1 yards.
2-11-PHI18 :)59) D.McNabb kneels to PHI 17 for -1 yards.
3-12-PHI17 :)21) D.McNabb kneels to PHI 16 for -1 yards.

yes i heard that 4.53 time but theres so much BS to these 40s..they say on NFL.com that Jackson ran a 4.42 or something but its 4.32 offical combine

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2002/03/27/wide_receivers/
go down and find Caldwell
they said 4.49 but also mentioned 4.3s

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/workouts_predraft.asp
go down and they say got under 4.5

i cant find site that said 4.41 or whatever i said

but anyways some more info

http://www.footballguys.com/05teamreport_sd.htm
go to WRs and see what was projected for Chargers

BostonGlobe said he gives us Long Speed

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
yes i heard that 4.53 time but theres so much BS to these 40s..they say on NFL.com that Jackson ran a 4.42 or something but its 4.32 offical combine

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2002/03/27/wide_receivers/
go down and find Caldwell
they said 4.49 but also mentioned 4.3s

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/workouts_predraft.asp
go down and they say got under 4.5

i cant find site that said 4.41 or whatever i said

I'm pretty sure that the numbers that I quoted were from the combine since I got those numbers from their NFL Draft profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News