PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crunching numbers on the Patriots

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Crunching numbers on the Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A really interesting look at several different things. There's a comparison of passes to Moss vs. the rest of the offense in different formations (including Brady's passer rating), the increase of the use of tight ends vs. more than 2 receiver sets, as well as how the run defense is doing (runs to the right are averaging 7.67 yards compared to only 3.06 up the middle). Also some numbers on Brady comparing blitzes to standard pressure. Some really good stuff here.

Three areas in which the New England Patriots are reforming their offense - ESPN Boston

Another stat-packed article about how the 2010 offense has changed, and should continue to do so without Moss.

In summary, we're spreading the ball around more (Hernandez and Tate are getting way more targets this year than Edelman and Faulk in 2009), the tight ends are being targeted way more (almost twice as often as the last few seasons), and how the deep pass hasn't been connecting as often this year (only 12 pass attempts over 20 yards, with only 3 completions).

Fact based reporting? That's the best thing I've seen out of ESPN in a LONG time.

Two damn good articles. Anyone who is reading this post needs to go read those articles right now!

The offense is going to be just fine without Moss. Even with Moss on the team, the Pats were a "dink and dunk" offense. When they went deep, it failed. Trading Moss is a downgrade at one position, but it's a whole lot harder to cover 5 guys that are legit targets than two.

Yeah, I saw that earlier thanks to Mo Lewis Rocks in the Offensive Participation thread, but thanks for posting that here; it's definitely a good enough analysis that it deserves it's own thread. (Surely a far superior topic than something about Jason Bieber or whether or not Tom Brady should be surfing or getting a haircut, but I digress ...)

Anyways, thanks again for posting that. I'll be interested in going back and looking at similar stat comparisons later on this season.

Yup, good articles, and a refreshing change from the typical fare d'jour around these parts.

However, as Coach B is wont to say: The only stats that are important are the win/loss ones. :D

A really interesting look at several different things. There's a comparison of passes to Moss vs. the rest of the offense in different formations (including Brady's passer rating), the increase of the use of tight ends vs. more than 2 receiver sets, as well as how the run defense is doing (runs to the right are averaging 7.67 yards compared to only 3.06 up the middle). Also some numbers on Brady comparing blitzes to standard pressure. Some really good stuff here.

Three areas in which the New England Patriots are reforming their offense - ESPN Boston

Another stat-packed article about how the 2010 offense has changed, and should continue to do so without Moss.

In summary, we're spreading the ball around more (Hernandez and Tate are getting way more targets this year than Edelman and Faulk in 2009), the tight ends are being targeted way more (almost twice as often as the last few seasons), and how the deep pass hasn't been connecting as often this year (only 12 pass attempts over 20 yards, with only 3 completions).

You know, a couple of weeks ago I posted here numbers about how Brady was spreading it around. I want some credit, espn!!!

You know, a couple of weeks ago I posted here numbers about how Brady was spreading it around. I want some credit, espn!!!

Sorry, Ivan, plenty of us have dibs on that.

In fact, back in pre-season, I had the trademark on the "Swiss Army Knife Offense" label. :D :D :D

It was obvious what was happening in August.

Last edited:
Sorry, Ivan, plenty of us have dibs on that.

In fact, back in pre-season, I had the trademark on the "Swiss Army Knife Offense" label. :D :D :D

It was obvious what was happening in August.

Fair enough. ;)

24 of Brady's 28 throws to the TE's were caught. You HAVE to love that stat.

Fantastic articles.

The passing stats are not necessarily an indictment of Moss and the lack of his importance to the passing game. When he got off the line in passing downs, he almost always took a CB and a safety with him opening up underneath and mid-range stuff for other receivers. Hernandez was an obvious beneficiary frequently.

Tomorrow's schemes will be very interesting to watch.

The other thing was how shockingly bad the offensive right side of the Pats running defense is. Maybe BB goes with more Wilfork on that side on obvious running downs. A trade for a big-time defensive end would be great if the pats could pull that off with Mankins thinking about returning to action.

24 of Brady's 28 throws to the TE's were caught. You HAVE to love that stat.

Indeed. The TE's are going to be especially huge for us, going forward. Both rookies (Gronk especially) have already helped to improve our red zone offense over last season.

I was mostly just queasy about the defensive stats. Run wide on us....get rewarded. I really hope there is some improvement in this area come Sunday.

You'd think that setting the edge would be a priority over the bye week....

I like the name SAK offense......as long as the OL holds up and it doesn't become the SACK offense. :bricks:

I was mostly just queasy about the defensive stats. Run wide on us....get rewarded. I really hope there is some improvement in this area come Sunday.

The numbers are nowhere near as bad as watching it actually happen. But I do think we're improving in that area. The OLB are getting better at setting the edge. Ninkovitch looked lost in the first quarter against the Dolphins, but really improved as the game progressed. If Cunningham continues to pick things up, this could become less of a concern. And I think Brace is really coming along and has done a nice job in the running game.

Of course, I'll deny writing any of this (or say I was drunk) if Ray Rice racks up 150 yards on us tomorrow...

Wow! Just Wow. These statistics are truly illuminating.

It is apparent that the effectiveness of the deep Moss completion has faded out of the Patriot Offense long before this season.

According to Belichick, the league was catching up to the notion that Brady to Moss deep was a 2007/8 thing, and not applicable in 2010. The decision to NOT re-sign Moss makes more sense; and the trade of Moss to the gullible Vikes appears even more reasonable.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back