PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap vs cash: Are the Patriots cheap?

Bill the GM is willing to spend money. It's just who he's spending money on.
Is this really true?

We have the about the same cap available over the next couple of years as other teams? Really?

The reality is that EVERY team has committed more 2024 cap money. We chose to spend less 2024 cp money on 2023 than other teams.

Yes, there are other teams that mortgage the future trying to win THIS year.

The patriots seem to spend much, much less of future cap money than is the norm.
===========
To me, it is plain silly to sya that NO PLAYER in the entire league was available that could have helped the patriots this year. Management and many posters will say that the team wasn't willing to "overpay" or to sacrifice being having more 2024 cap money available in than anyone else (is there a prize?)

One of the cheapest teams in the league and it shows in the dearth of talent on the roster.

Is this really true?

We have the about the same cap available over the next couple of years as other teams? Really?

The reality is that EVERY team has committed more 2024 cap money. We chose to spend less 2024 cp money on 2023 than other teams.

Yes, there are other teams that mortgage the future trying to win THIS year.

The patriots seem to spend much, much less of future cap money than is the norm.
===========
To me, it is plain silly to sya that NO PLAYER in the entire league was available that could have helped the patriots this year. Management and many posters will say that the team wasn't willing to "overpay" or to sacrifice being having more 2024 cap money available in than anyone else (is there a prize?)
They lead the league in 2024 cap space AND 2025 cap space. All the "spending to the cap" stuff is ridiculous, the Ravens have the exact same amount of money commited to the cap in 2023 as the Patriots, but they spent 90 million more than New England in cash to put that roster together, for instance. I can't believe people still fall for that, even Matt Groh has admitted you can do whatever you want with the cap and manipulate it in a variety of ways.

One of the cheapest teams in the league and it shows in the dearth of talent on the roster.
I keep hearing about Cap space next year!... realistically what FA to be if this continues will want to come here? Juju was a disappointment, Parker looks checked out.. the only fight I see is in KB.. I've made mention.. the reason why owners don't allot Head coaches with so much power anymore like HC/GM is what we are witnessing with the 2023 patriots roster. I truly believe in the past BB did surely do what is in the best interests of the team. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Call me naive but I believe Kraft when he says he has always provided Bill with whatever he needs when it comes to the roster building. It is Bill who can be regarded as "cheap" in certain aspects. Not wanting to pay up for big time offensive weapons even when Brady wasn't pushing for every dollar when he very well could have. Off the top of my head I can think of Adalius Thomas and Stephon Gilmore as "set the market" type deals in free agency and surprise, surprise they're both defensive players. Right now 3 of our top 5 biggest cap hits are on defensive guys and two of them are basically run stopping D linemen (Godchaux and Wise).

Call me naive but I believe Kraft when he says he has always provided Bill with whatever he needs when it comes to the roster building. It is Bill who can be regarded as "cheap" in certain aspects. Not wanting to pay up for big time offensive weapons even when Brady wasn't pushing for every dollar when he very well could have. Off the top of my head I can think of Adalius Thomas and Stephon Gilmore as "set the market" type deals in free agency and surprise, surprise they're both defensive players. Right now 3 of our top 5 biggest cap hits are on defensive guys and two of them are basically run stopping D linemen (Godchaux and Wise).
I think he values spreading talent/$ across the roster to have a more even team top/bottom than more money at gamebreaking players who could get hurt or taken out of a game.

Seemed to make sense and maybe it works when you have the GOAT or a league that maybe had not caught up with that concept yet.

Only 10 teams in the league have less cap space than the pats and 6 of those are within $2 million of the pats.

Please explain how the Pats are "Cheap"

I think he values spreading talent/$ across the roster to have a more even team top/bottom than more money at gamebreaking players who could get hurt or taken out of a game.

Seemed to make sense and maybe it works when you have the GOAT or a league that maybe had not caught up with that concept yet.
I agree. We always heard about how Bill liked to build a "strong middle class" on the roster but when you have the best player at the most important position in addition to a strong middle class it seems to work a lot better.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back