PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd Reacting to Willie and Adam??

Status
Not open for further replies.
spacecrime said:
How about some links to some of these well published reports? I think you are confusing WMG with DG.

First off, most places have started archiving articles after 7 days and you have to have a subscription to access them. So, providing a link would be very hard to do.

Secondly, BBFan is not confusing WMG with DG. Do a search on here, Its well published on this website because when it came out that WMG HAD, in fact, been in negotiations prior to be cut, there were a LOT of people who were surprised at McGinest's words to the contrary. Just like there were a lot of people surprised when it came out that BB had been in regular contact from the time WMG was cut.

EDIT: Unfortunately, a search only took me back to March 21st. However, here is the link to a thread that took place that day about McGinest. Please read it and note all the people referring to the fact that the Patriots did negotiate with McGinest prior to him being cut. Also note the several people who mention that BB and Kraft both had talked to WMG.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=32600&highlight=mcginest

Last edited:
Willie = standing ovation
Adam = mixed, but mostly boos a la Johnny Damon

Last edited by a moderator:
PATSNUTme said:
Willie is not coming to play in The Razor this year unless it's a playoff game so it's going to be hard for fans to boo him.

McGinest and the Browns will play in Foxboro during the 2007 regular season according to Patriots.com's 2002-2009 opponents page.

DaBruinz said:
Lets get a few things straight.

1) Willie knew that the last year of his contract was a phony one. He admitted to it.
2) The Patriots DID offer him a contract extension priot to cutting McGinest. In fact, they offered him SEVERAL different ones that would have allowed McGinest to retire as a Patriot.
3) It was made very clear by BB and Kraft that they were talking with McGinest the entire time after he was cut. Contrary to McGinest and the Media reports.
How can I get it straight? The other guys says it was well publicized in the papers that they were talking, but I don't remember anything like that. You say BB and Kraft said they were talking but the media said they weren't.

I'd be happy to get it straight if someone could direct me to a few links I could read. Otherwise it is just our memories at war, and none of us has the same recollection.

But if it was so well noted at the time, why don't I remember a thing and why can't I find a link? It couldn't have been made that clear by BB. THere should be something on PATRIOTS.COM if that were so.

Can you elaboarate on the SEVERAL different offers that were made to WMG?

He has always been a straight shooter, and he seemed genuinely hurt on Rome Is Burning by what he called a lack of communication. He made the comment several times that, "I'm not bitter," but the reported lack of cummunication clearly bothered him.

spacecrime said:
How can I get it straight? The other guys says it was well publicized in the papers that they were talking, but I don't remember anything like that.
The one guy I know for sure, and you can choose to not believe him if you like, is Felger. Maybe in the papers, maybe not but multiple times on NEST he said uniquivocably that the Patriots were in touch with McGinest throughout the process. McGinest said they didn't talk to him. Fine. Maybe they talked to his agent. And possibly Felger is wrong but his information is likely better than mine and he said it several times over multiple days - and we all know the writers like to criticize if they can. No link ? Sorry but that doesn't mean I didn't read/hear it.

My thanks go to both guys, who played in the Pats' very restrained cap structure a number of years. AV was franchised at least once.

Football is a business, period. For a certain amount of times, some players will put the game above the business. Bruschi's done it for a career, and don't think it isn't noticed. Ditto Troy Brown's tremendous show of class.

But these guys are not traitors when they play for other teams. When we play the Colts, if AV trots on for a game-tieing field goal, I SO hope he shanks it from 22 yards or something. That's just poetic justice. But would I boo the guy just for leaving? He's a player not a goddam slave. Same with every other player.

This is the free agency era, and you root for the uniform - basically, you root for laundry. The Pats found a way to invest that situation with meaning, by putting team first in the ultimate team game. I personally try to do the same - no individual onus on a guy that did what was best for him. The Pats' management always do what's best for "The Organization -" players have the right to do the same.

PFnV

It bothers me that AV can shake the hand of Gino Cappeletti after breaking his record and profess such respect and admiration for him and the Patriots organization. How cold of a move leaving as he did really is the more I think about it. I really wish he did not break that record - to me his leaving was just thumbing his nose at this organization and all they have done for him over the years.

This area really loved this guy, #4 was everywhere and I think he simply became a victim of the dreaded swollen head disease. The past few years his hands were out everywhere, gathering endorsements, tripling his appearance fees and upping the ante on all his signing events.

To go to the Colts is really a slap in the face to the New England Patriot organization and hence, their fan base and this area. Make no mistake, he left with full realization of what it would mean for him to become a Colt.

Sure, I will never forget the Oakland kick, the Superbowl kicks and all that joy he helped bring. After he retires, there will be plenty of time to show that appreciation.

But, the thankless, classless way he left and where he went left me cold. I wish him the worst of luck with his new team and may the football Gods give him all the missed kicks and short kickoffs he deserves. You are nothing but a typical, money hungry, unappreciative, self absorbed, overpaid kicker, 2.5 - 3MM for a kicker is a joke.

As for Givens - different story, his timing brought him #1 money and he really is a #2. No way is he worth what he was able to get.....I wonder how his numbers will look without TB throwing to him.

As for Willie - that one still puzzles me - rumors were that the deal was cut 1/2 way through last year. Maybe his bond with RAC is what turned the tide.

There is no question with Willie & with AV that their best days are behind them and as such, our dollars are better invested elsewhere, even if it hurts a little in the short term

PATSNUTme said:
Who knows if Willie will be playing in 2007.

He signed a 3-year deal with Cleveland. Barring an injury, expect to see him back for one Sunday next year.

spacecrime said:
How can I get it straight? The other guys says it was well publicized in the papers that they were talking, but I don't remember anything like that. You say BB and Kraft said they were talking but the media said they weren't.

I'd be happy to get it straight if someone could direct me to a few links I could read. Otherwise it is just our memories at war, and none of us has the same recollection.

But if it was so well noted at the time, why don't I remember a thing and why can't I find a link? It couldn't have been made that clear by BB. THere should be something on PATRIOTS.COM if that were so.

Can you elaboarate on the SEVERAL different offers that were made to WMG?

He has always been a straight shooter, and he seemed genuinely hurt on Rome Is Burning by what he called a lack of communication. He made the comment several times that, "I'm not bitter," but the reported lack of cummunication clearly bothered him.

Spacecrime -
Its plainly obvious you don't want to face reality.

1) I can't elaborate on the offers given to McGinest because NO ONE can. You seem to have forgotten that the Pats don't negotiate in the media.

2) You clearly decided NOT to read the link that I provided where numerous different posters mentioned about the posted MEDIA stories that came out not long after McGinest signed.

3) You are clearly don't want to believe that WMG could have been lying to save face with the fans. Why don't you do the research yourself? The stories came out, particularly in the Globe, not long after McGinest signed.

4) Just because YOU can't remember it or can't find it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I provided you the link to the discussion here on Patsfans.com where no fewer than 6 DIFFERENT users mentioned the stories that said that WMG had, in fact, gotten extension offers, and that BB and Kraft had, in fact, been in regular contact with McGinest. Are you going to sit there and tell me that those 6 different users are in a conspiracy to defame McGinest?

If you want to believe morons like Tomase, Borges, et al, who reported the Patriots in a bad light regardin McGinest, there is nothing anyone else can say that will change your mind. But you are the one who loses credibility for doing so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes