PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd Reacting to Willie and Adam??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok on Mike and Mike this morning they were talking about Frank Thomas and how the fans reacted to his return to chicago (plays for oakland now) with a standing O. MIke Greene said a lot of that is because he didn't leave for more money, but Chicago didn't want him back. So the fans Cheered for him when they saw him. He also said that if Frank Thomas would have just left for more money and the Sox wanted him back but he went to Oakland anyways, then the fans would have reacted differently. And Golic Agreed.

I immediately thought of willie and Adam....

I feel that willie wanted to stay but we wouldn't pay him. Which is fine.

Adam left, didnt give us a chance to match. Maybe we would have paid him but that isn't the point. He left for more money.

Both had a definite impact on all three Superbowls.

i dont go to pats games, i live in illinois. But you can bet your ass i would boo vinatieri and Cheer for Willie and i agree with both Mikes.
I don't think anyone should cheer for Adam, he is a traitor piece of trash. He didn't only leave us for more money but he did and went to the colts of all teams. Willie just left but not the way adam did.

How would you guys react to Willie if the browns came to NE this year?

how will you react to Adam in Ne this year?

Agreed: Cheer for Willie, Boo Vinitieri

Keegs said:
i dont go to pats games, i live in illinois. But you can bet your ass i would boo vinatieri and Cheer for Willie and i agree with both Mikes.
I don't think anyone should cheer for Adam, he is a traitor piece of trash. He didn't only leave us for more money but he did and went to the colts of all teams. Willie just left but not the way adam did.

How would you guys react to Willie if the browns came to NE this year?

how will you react to Adam in Ne this year?
Cheer WMG, boo AV.

Exception: If AV misses a FG, then he should get a standing O.

At best I would give no reaction. Make no mistake, McGinest left for the money too. It just seems better as he didn't go to the Colts. If they return against us, as Vinatraitor will, they will be the opponents. I would likely boo but I certainly wouldn't cheer.

I'll be cheering for Willie and booing Vinatraitor.

Edit: Let me clarify that I won't be cheering when Willie makes a play, just at intro. or when he walks onto the field for the first time.

Last edited:
it's very simple....

when the player leaves the team, the crowd boos upon his return

when the team leaves the player, the player is applauded

*the only exception to this rule that I can think of is someone like TO and Terry Glenn, when the team gets rid of them because they are malcontents. Then they will receive bad receptions upon their return.

here's an interesting one because it's kind of in between the Willie and Adam situation..........what kind of reception would Givens get if he were to come to Gillette this season?

It would definitely be warmer than AV's reception because he did not go to a division rival, but I'm not so sure people would actually cheer for him (even though I would).

BelichickFan said:
At best I would give no reaction. Make no mistake, McGinest left for the money too. It just seems better as he didn't go to the Colts. If they return against us, as Vinatraitor will, they will be the opponents. I would likely boo but I certainly wouldn't cheer.
I might be wrong, but i don't think Willie left and did not give us a chance to match. I was under the impression that we refused to pay him what he was worth so he went to Cleveland.

Adam left and didn't give us a chance to match. Hes a scumbag.

Personally, I'd ignore Willie... and boo Vinitraitor (just like every other Colt).

(Although I LOVE the idea of a standing ovation for him if he were to shank one at Gillette!!!!!!)

Last edited:
Keegs said:
I might be wrong, but i don't think Willie left and did not give us a chance to match. I was under the impression that we refused to pay him what he was worth so he went to Cleveland.

Adam left and didn't give us a chance to match. Hes a scumbag.
That is a little different, true, but McGinest still left for the money. The fact that Cleveland was willing to overpay him made that possible. And you are right that at least we may have been able to match had we chosen to. But he still left for the money. Now, I'm not saying I would do anything different if I were him but he's now an opponent, by his choice, however it was done.

brdmaverick said:
here's an interesting one because it's kind of in between the Willie and Adam situation..........what kind of reception would Givens get if he were to come to Gillette this season?
Givens, I would have the least (aka, best) reaction to. He, also, left for the money but at least in his case he hasn't made big money yet so it's more understandable that he'd take a much less chance to win for his big payday.

Givens i really dont mind leaving. I've seen him drop enough passes to make it ok that hes gone. (for some reason i cant forget about the one in denver; reg. season).

Willie was awesoem will be sad to see him in another jersey.

Seing adam come to NE wearing a Colts jersey will infuriate me. I don't see how anyone wont get pissed when they see him.

The reason that Adam will get the most anger is the fact that he was the most beloved by the fans. He was a hero in the entire region. When a hero defects, especially to a hated opponent, it always hurts more.

Willie, while a stalwart player and a corner stone of the team was not a hero. He left to make one last big payday. He went to rejoin a coach who had success here. And he did not go to a hated team. He was an elder statesman that we were disappointed to see leave after so many good years and thus is still looked on fondly.

As for Givens, I think we all understnad the fact a young unheralded reciever who has been under paid for years, now he is cashing in on his talent and good fortune. Everyone needs to get paid eventually and will be regarded as what will likely become a good sized list of players the Pats coached up and turned into very good (not great) players and then let leave for bigger paydays.

I will cheer Willie but I will not boo AV (although I am sure those around me will). AV did a lot for us when he was here and lots of people leave for the $$. I will cheer loudly, however, if he misses a FG or PA.

BelichickFan said:

I ( think) I disagree. Didn't we cut McGinnest because of the cap hit? IIR, the Pats cut McGinest and didn't make him another offer.

I respect the man and everything he did for the organization. I would applaud him during intros, but obviously not when he makes a play.

This is a silly discussion. This isn't basketball, where the starting five get introduced individually. I am going to boo or ignore every player I see on the field that isn't wearing a Pats uniform -- regardless of history.

The better question is, if you run into any of these guys at a bar (Vinatieri, McGinest, Givens) do you buy them a beer? I vote yes for all three.

Last edited by a moderator:
D-cleater said:
I ( think) I disagree. Didn't we cut McGinnest because of the cap hit? IIR, the Pats cut McGinest and didn't make him another offer.
Yes, but that was a given as he had about a $7M cap hit. We knew he was basically a FA entering the season. Regarding an offer, McGinest has made a comment or two about the Patriots not talking to him but the Patriots just weren't going to pay what the Browns did. We all know, virtually for sure, that if McGinest had taken less money then Belichick would have liked him back. He took the money - good for him; but he still took the money to end his career in Cleveland.

sieglo said:
The better question is, if you run into any of these guys at a bar (Vinatieri, McGinest, Givens) do you buy them a beer? I vote yes for all three.
Vinatieri especially before a game. I'd love to see Manning say "Damn it, we have another drunk for a kicker" after Vinatieri stumbles into the Colt locker room after I've gotten him drunk :D

BelichickFan said:
Make no mistake, McGinest left for the money too..
It's not a mistake. WMG did not leave for the money. He didn't leave at all. The Patriots cut him, and unlke AV, they didn't offer him a contract. That was pretty plain in his ROME IS BURNING spot.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
It's not a mistake. WMG did not leave for the money. He didn't leave at all. The Patriots cut him.
Wordsmith it how you like, we all know that they would have signed him for reasonable money and that the team and McGinest knew that 2006 was a fake year all along. He left by choosing not to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes