PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris carter on the big show: Deion branch is ‘just a guy’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a guy........................with two Super Bowl rings and an MVP Trophy in the case.

Jealous much Cris?

Yup, Just a guy. A hell of a guy at that.

well said......

A whole lot of people here were saying the same thing about Branch before he was brought back. People can disagree with Carter all they want, but it's not as if his comments are wholly without merit.

This. If Carter had said this 3 months ago this thread would have been full of insults to "Meion"

This. If Carter had said this 3 months ago this thread would have been full of insults to "Meion"

At the end of the day, over the last 5 years the Pats made the wrong decision for 1 and the right decision for 4.

If this team was 5-6, Deion would be a JAG in many eyes.

It's the same situation as if Papi was hitting .264 w/ 17 hrs and 66 RBIs, but the Sox are 104-58 and getting ready to win the 2011 World Series.

Post-season heroes of lore carry A LOT of weight with memories alone- especially in this town.

If BB signed Corey Dillon or Ty Law tomorrow, you'd have 110 posts in 2 hrs.

Last edited:
I'd say Deion has been the one WR who has been more in tune with Brady than any other in Brady's decade long career. Wes Welker and Troy Brown actually come very close but neither really has the intermediate to long range game that Branch does. If what Deion does is "just average" then presumably the Patriots could have found another WR in that decade. Moss did his own thing and it worked. Branch ran the routes.

Now that I think about Seattle's perennial search for a WR, I begin to wonder about Hasselbeck. That team has expended a ton of resources at the WR position, and all they had to show for it was Bobby Engram!

The Deon/Brady combo strikes plenty of fear in defenses. Just ask the SB Carolina Panthers. "Just a guy" has rings and a SB MVP trophy. Cris Carter has what? ;)

The only reason Branch got that trophy was because Brady was throwing him the ball..

While I do believe that Cris Carter is an idiot, even idiots are right sometimes. And he's right about Branch. I mean, if you look back over the Pats 2 games, Branch disappeared for a half in each of them. Did he end up with receptions? Eventually.

But lets be real guys. Branch isn't Randy Moss. Heck, he's not even as good as he was when he left the Pats.

If you want to fault Carter for something, fault him for not being able to think for himself. Seriously. He's just parroting what many Pats fans have said about Branch, both before and after he left. And during the time he was in Seattle.

Combined times that Carter and Moss have won the SB MVP: 0

Number of times Branch won it: 1

Okay who are the Jags?

JAG is too strong a term, but Deion Branch is the definition of "good player". Nothing more, nothing less. Guy has a knack for coming up huge in the big stage, and you gotta give him props for that, but he's never been great and never will be.

The only reason Branch got that trophy was because Brady was throwing him the ball..

While I do believe that Cris Carter is an idiot, even idiots are right sometimes. And he's right about Branch. I mean, if you look back over the Pats 2 games, Branch disappeared for a half in each of them. Did he end up with receptions? Eventually.

But lets be real guys. Branch isn't Randy Moss. Heck, he's not even as good as he was when he left the Pats.

If you want to fault Carter for something, fault him for not being able to think for himself. Seriously. He's just parroting what many Pats fans have said about Branch, both before and after he left. And during the time he was in Seattle.

lol on the highlighted sections!

Great first line! :)

Last edited:
but lets be honest, Deon Branch is not striking fear into any defenses.

If Branch got waived do you think more than one team in the NFL would put a waiver claim in for him?

Last edited:
A whole lot of people here were saying the same thing about Branch before he was brought back. People can disagree with Carter all they want, but it's not as if his comments are wholly without merit.

well maybe he is right but i personally think to categorize a player who is great can never get injured is an extreme. He keeps ranting about the offense had a huge ceiling with moss but then goes on to say that moss has nothing left. The least he coulve said was that branch is a good fit for the pats but maybe not anywhere else after seeing these last 6 games. instead he just trashed him all the way.

well maybe he is right but i personally think to categorize a player who is great can never get injured is an extreme. He keeps ranting about the offense had a huge ceiling with moss but then goes on to say that moss has nothing left. The least he coulve said was that branch is a good fit for the pats but maybe not anywhere else after seeing these last 6 games. instead he just trashed him all the way.

This would be complete non-story here, if this was about a player who wasn't on the Patriots. This is nothing more than the typical "He's on my favorite team, so he's awesome!" stuff that we see so often.

JAG was probably the wrong word choice for Carter, because JAG is usually meant for a guy who's fungible as opposed to just being nothing special (WR2/WR3), which is what I think Carter was trying to say. He could have used "mediocre", "average", "limited", or something like that. But, the reality is that Branch has only one season with more than 60 catches (2005), and has played a full 16 game schedule only once, so far, in his nine year career.

This would be complete non-story here, if this was about a player who wasn't on the Patriots. This is nothing more than the typical "He's on my favorite team, so he's awesome!" stuff that we see so often.

JAG was probably the wrong word choice for Carter, because JAG is usually meant for a guy who's fungible as opposed to just being nothing special (WR2/WR3), which is what I think Carter was trying to say. He could have used "mediocre", "average", "limited", or something like that. But, the reality is that Branch has only one season with more than 60 catches (2005), and has played a full 16 game schedule only once, so far, in his nine year career.

no disagreements here but most fan bases react when its about their players and team. branch maybe mediocre WR2 whatever. but carter isnt accurate to assume the pats just replaced moss with branch because they thought he is better or same.IMO one move necessitated the other since they needed some WR to fill the void. They dont even use branch like moss so carter is just slighting good WR in branch compared to a superior receiver which can be done vs lot of great players. He is a #2 WR but has been productive for the pats so far. If we replaced moss with another big name who didnt produce carter wouldnt say all this.
I wish he talked about what he thought of branch's production so far. IMO it has been up and down during SD and cle games maybe due to the hammy but otherwise has been solid.

Just heard Troy Brown and Christian Fauria on EEI go on at great length about how far off base Carter was with these comments.

A lot of people here don't think much of Branch because of his holdout (ancient news) and his injuries in Seattle. I think he's a pretty good player who happens to fit the Patriots' needs very well.

Let's face it - they'd be in tough shape at WR without him. It's a good thing that BB doesn't think about things the way some of the naysayers here do. Does anybody here still think at #4 pick was too much for Deion?

This would be complete non-story here, if this was about a player who wasn't on the Patriots.

Wow. I guess THAT'S the reason the website is called "Patsfans.com".

Whodathunkit?

If Branch got waived do you think more than one team in the NFL would put a waiver claim in for him?

What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of teams out there who are hurting for WRs right now. The 49ers and the Rams are just two off the top of my head. Plus, Branch has a friendly contract now thanks to the re-structuring he did.

It made the PFT site. So it isn't a complete non-story for other areas of the country. So I don't know if it would be a complete non-story here if it was a player in another town although it wouldn't be a six page and counting thread.

Personally, I think this is more of a story of the incompetence of Cris Carter as a talking head and analyst than anything to do with Branch. He has twice come on WEEI in recent months and shown his obvious biases towards Randy Moss which has allowed him to be confrontational and at times somewhat irrational in his analysis. Carter is desperate to show this offense would be better with Randy than without him. The only way he can do it is by tearing down Branch because he isn't good enough to make an argument that doesn't come off condenscending.

Deon is a solid receiver, there is no denying that, I think folks are getting worked up over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back