PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris carter on the big show: Deion branch is ‘just a guy’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is plenty of evidence that without Tom Brady that he is at best nothing more than just a guy.

Fortunately for Deion and the Pats they have Tom Brady at QB and he makes a healthy Deion an extremely productive player.

Deion Branch in the Erhardt-Perkins system with Tom Brady is an EXTREMELY solid WR. Deion Branch in any other type of offensive system is a JAG.

Yes, I do believe it is safe to assume Deion Branch is a male.

I heard this today. I could tell Givens on the other end was getting uncomfortable the way Carter was going on about Deion just being average. His biggest issue with Branch was that he would sometimes disappear. He then goes on to say that injuries are not excuses because great players don't get injured.:wha:

I don't see how this guy is a paid analyst. His thoughts were all over the place and he couldn't support his opinions in an articulate manner. Lots of long pauses which is horrible on radio. The WEEI guys didn't know when they could jump in and talk because you'd expect him to support his opinions or make a point but the long pauses just became too painful I guess and they finally just started cutting him off. Not to mention Carter's use of the word "like" after every other word like he was a teenage girl. He sounded completely unprofessional.

It was a stark contrast to Mike Florio who came on right after him who sounded intelligent and articulate, even though you might not agree with his opinions.

“He’s just a guy. You guys have to be real about it,” Carter added. “Great players, they don’t get hurt as much as the other players. There’s a difference between great ones and good ones and average ones.”

I guess according to Carter then Gale Sayers and Bo Jackson were also JAGs because they couldn't stay on the field, but David Binn (who?) and Mike Kenn (huh?) are Hall of Famers because they are both one of just 32 players to appear in more than 250 NFL games.

I guess according to Carter then Gale Sayers and Bo Jackson were also JAGs because they couldn't stay on the field, but David Binn (who?) and Mike Kenn (huh?) are Hall of Famers because they are both one of just 32 players to appear in more than 250 NFL games.

Mike Kenn was actually pretty good. Never heard of Binn.

FWIW, Carter is still picking the Pats this week, whereas TJ and Keyshawn aren't.

Carter was a great reciever, but that doesnt translate to being good at anything else.....same goes for Marshall Faulk :D

Pretty sure he was a long snapper.

As for Cris Carter, living in the Twin Cities most of my life I can tell you that my impression is that Carter is a jerk who is basically only good at catching the football. Bad teammate, bad analyst, obnoxious personality.

Biggest idiot on ESPN is Tom Jackson. No one will ever eclipse him. No matter what Carter says.

I heard this today. I could tell Givens on the other end was getting uncomfortable the way Carter was going on about Deion just being average. His biggest issue with Branch was that he would sometimes disappear. He then goes on to say that injuries are not excuses because great players don't get injured.:wha:

I don't see how this guy is a paid analyst. His thoughts were all over the place and he couldn't support his opinions in an articulate manner. Lots of long pauses which is horrible on radio. The WEEI guys didn't know when they could jump in and talk because you'd expect him to support his opinions or make a point but the long pauses just became too painful I guess and they finally just started cutting him off. Not to mention Carter's use of the word "like" after every other word like he was a teenage girl. He sounded completely unprofessional.

It was a stark contrast to Mike Florio who came on right after him who sounded intelligent and articulate, even though you might not agree with his opinions.

it was painful to listen to. even givens, who is new at this, could tell carter had no clue what the hell he was talking about and tried to save carter from himself. it was sad listening to that crackhead implode.

Carter is an idiot. I loved him as a football player, and I'm not calling him an idiot because he's constantly dogging the Patriots. He really is an idiot. I realized it one morning when I was watching "Mike and Mike." He just rambles without really making any real point about anything. At one point, Greeney looked like he just wanted to tell him to shut up and move on to the next segment. I wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

Eh, Randy Moss doesn't look so hot with Rusty Smith throwing him the ball. And he didn't look so great during his years in Oakland either.

Eh, Randy Moss doesn't look so hot with Rusty Smith throwing him the ball. And he didn't look so great during his years in Oakland either.

Nah, that's not fair on Moss.

Randy's game is the deep ball. Stick him with a QB who can't throw the deep ball and you're just wasting your time. See Brooks, Aaron.

I think the reason Branch disappears at times is that he's is GREAT at finding the open spots in zone coverage, but no so great at beating a CB 1-1. Put him against a Cover-2 and he's going to be an elite receiver, at least for that game.

The ironic thing is that I feel that Carter, as an NFL analyst, has a long, long way to go to aspire to be just a guy. I think in a year or two, he will be yet another ESPN washout relegated to the NFL Network. He is easily the weakest link on the ESPN Sunday broadcast. He makes me long for that loudmouth Michael Irvin.

As for Branch, he excels in the Pats' system. Who cares if he is just a guy or not. He makes an impact here. That is all I care about. If after this year he parts ways with the Pats again (doubtful because I think he knows this is the best place for him), I won't care if he has a disapointing rest of his career. So far his injuries haven't hurt the Pats one bit.

BTW, Moss is Carter's friend and I think he does everything to protect him. By dissing Branch, he tries to build up Moss. It must be eating him that the storyline is now that the Pats are a better offense than without his buddy Randy. He needs to counter that by saying Branch is nothing special and this offense would be better with Randy. I also like how he says that "now" if the offense doesn't do well, the Pats lose. As if with Moss the offense could do poorly and the Pats would win.

Last edited:
I agreed with Carter and thought the homers on the show really came off sounding kind of silly. The fact is that Branch does disapear in games, he isn't a run-blocker that you can count on to bury his guy.

Branch is a dynamic small receiver that can take advantage of mistakes by a DB, tries hard and understands the game. However, Branch does get hurt too much, he can be shut down by 1 guy and he isn't going to beat double teams.

Carter was talking about a receiver that teams must game plan for that can take over a game and a team can count on to make a play. Branch isn't that guy.

Do the Patriots need a guy like that? An Andre Johnson, a Fitzgerald, a Bowe, Nicks, or even dare I say a Moss? I don't think they need a guy like that to win, but lets be honest, Deon Branch is not striking fear into any defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing