PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coverage Skills Of Our Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some reports and tweets that suggest the NEP are the front runners to land Landry in the next few days.
The same tweeters breaking fairy tales about Danny Amendola?

I'm not sure that cap space is that much of an issue less than a week into the new league year, is it? By all accounts, the team has approximately 5-6 million left anyway.
I'm sure there are NFL franchises that currently have more cap space available than the New England Patriots.

I'm guessing that it doesn't happen, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it did.
Prediction: Tanny and Wrecks panic!

I think you're right to some degree. I don't think that 'significant resources' will be used just for competition; but there could be a draft pick or a guy like Landry too. Otherwise, it will be UDFA's, lower level FA signing/team cuts, or the like.

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.
Yup and that would be to get a guy that can start next to Chung, not replace him.

The same tweeters breaking fairy tales about Danny Amendola?

I'm sure there are NFL franchises that currently have more cap space available than the New England Patriots.

Prediction: Tanny and Wrecks panic!

Sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire. Sometimes not. The reports are sometimes right on the money, like in the Llyod situation, and sometimes they aren't. If there are teams who are interested in Landry, and the NEP are considered to be very interested, only time will tell if they come to terms.

The Amendola situation may indeed have happened, for all we know. Is it that unreasonable to think that Belichick would want to keep the additon of another good slot WR under wraps, considering the situation with Welker?

The fact that many NFL franchises having more cap room than the NEP is true, although I'm not sure that I'm seeing your reasoning. They can easily cut a player, or restructure to free up more money. The draft money isn't needed until the summer, so that's irrelevant at this point. If they have 5-6 million left right now, before even doing anything else, is Landry's cap hit really going to be close to that for this year?

Teams can always get creative with the cap. We usually try and limit that to many extents, so they don't have to adjust too much down the road--but it can certainly happen. I'm not sure that I'd agree that they are cap strapped as of this current moment.

Tanny and Wrecks have now moved on to OJ Atogwe.

Last edited:
Yup and that would be to get a guy that can start next to Chung, not replace him.

Oh, no way in hell that they'd replace him if he's healthy; but by starting a total of 9 games in the yrs of 2009 and 2011, I think they may prepare themselves no matter what.

Not necessarily saying that I think they are tremendously concerned about Chung's health or durability, but I do think that they put themselves in position not to have to rely on any one player.

They also may have learned a bit of a lesson this past yr, when it comes to having enough viable candidates at the safety positon.

I think they are always trying to improve the competition on the roster, but no--I don't think anyone wants to replace Chung. He has his weakness in coverage, but his return made a world of difference last yr down the stretch.

Last edited:
The fact that many NFL franchises having more cap room than the NEP is true, although I'm not sure that I'm seeing your reasoning.
The New England Patriots have nearly blown their salary cap allocation, so to speak.

The New England Patriots have nearly blown their salary cap allocation, so to speak.

I'm not sure why you think that?

I can understand the reasoning that they will not make any major moves, but there's no reason to think that they can't still make a couple of low to mid tier moves.

Whether or not they do, remains a mystery that will be solved soon enough.

With 5-6 million remaining before any other moves that will likely happen (or taking into acct the situation with Welker), it's not like they will have to worry about being under the cap any time soon.

Even if they did (which they don't), they seem to get pretty creative with a lot of deals.

No one has to worry about being under the cap any time soon; and no moves such as cuts, restructures, or the Welker situation has even been addressed as of yet, besides maybe the Ocho restructuring--which was due to another situation altogether if he even wanted a chance to stay.

I can understand the reasoning that they will not make any major moves, but there's no reason to think that they can't still make a couple of low to mid tier moves.
I consider LaRon Landry a major move. I seriously doubt he will provide any team "the home town discount".

I consider LaRon Landry a major move. I seriously doubt he will provide any team "the home town discount".

I agree, but then again, we don't know what kind of offers the other teams are throwing out there either due to his injury situation + his refusal to get surgery on his Achilles.

I doubt Landry would offer much of a discount, but the cap strapped situation and the Landry situation may not be related. They may still be able to make another move or two on some level, that was pretty much my point.

You may be a lot closer to being right than I am. We will find out soon enough, but I would think that they can free up some space and make another move or two if the right guy came along.

I was a bit surprised that they had any interest in Landry to begin with, as I feel his skills are too similar to Chung's.

without ever playing a down for the pats Gergory is the best coverage Safety on the pats roster right now... and after Chung im hopeing the rest of the Safetys never see the field in a meaningful game

Based on what BB has said in the past, and also how guys have actually lind up, I think what's cast in stone is that each safety has to be reasonably capable of carrying out all of a safety's duties. I.e., there isn't a strict divide between SS and FS.

The Pats can still try to line up so that the guy with more SS-like skills has SS-like duties on the play, and ditto for FS. But BB accepts that sometimes that plan will be defeated by the opponents' play calls.

Note that Rodney Harrison played some slot CB in his day, and that for the Pats he and Ty Law exchanged jobs in one crucial game.

You don't know anymore about safety play than any other poster here. The fact that you still think you are more knowledgeable about football than anyone here is an "Andy" problem.

I didn't say I was more knowledgable than anyone. I said reading your post gives me the opinion you don't know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News