PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coverage Skills Of Our Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

On the other side, how many of our current safeties would you put it at nickel back in case of injury. I think that James Sanders once played a good part of the year at nickel.

BB says to a "degree". I don't think it's a coincidence that Harrison then and Chung now play closer to the LOS than the other safety playing along them.

Of course, what you say is true.

However, there is also a need for safeties who can play center field while the other safety gives run support or blitzes.

The bottom line is that it is not a good thing to have four SS types as our four safeties.

I would love for the Patriots to draft the next Ed Reed. Sadly, that player doesn't seem to be in this year's draft. Safety seems to be the weakest position in the NFL right now, and this year's draft isn't going to help that any.

That being said, I'll take Chung/Landry over the collection of stiffs that was out there while Chung was injured.

Last edited:
So if Landry does get signed and the Pats are clearly interested in him or they draft Barron, according to you they have no chance of starting over Chung. Care to explain your reason why? Is Chung so good he goes unchallenged and nobody could possibly beat him out?
It has nothing to do with how good or bad he is. He'll start because clearly Belichick loves him. Over the past 2 years, when healthy, he's played nearly 100% of the defensive snaps. He's one of Belichick's "guys" along with McCourty and Mayo. You better get use to those 3 because Bill is not taking away any of their snaps for anyone.

It has nothing to do with how good or bad he is. He'll start because clearly Belichick loves him. Over the past 2 years, when healthy, he's played nearly 100% of the defensive snaps. He's one of Belichick's "guys" along with McCourty and Mayo. You better get use to those 3 because Bill is not taking away any of their snaps for anyone.

Not that I expect Chung to lose his starting spot but I completely disagree that it isn't even possible. Lawyer Milloy played most of the snaps while he was here. There's no way Belichick is going to cut him loose for a little salary cap room and rely on a rookie CB named Eugene Wilson and an aging Rodney Harrison to man the safety spots.

He only started one game in 09 and missed 8 games last year, in 2010 he played roughly the same amount as Sanders.

S Brandon Meriweather -- 881 of 1,101 (80.0 percent)
S Patrick Chung -- 796 of 1,101 (72.3 percent)
S James Sanders -- 779 of 1,101 (70.8 percent)

2010 Patriots defensive snap count - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I've been hearing this for a LONG time from numerous people who cover the team. Whatever the exact responsibilities of the traditional FS vs. SS in the NFL, the Patriots apparently organize them differently.

They want them to learn both positions so teams can't exploit weaknesses as easily.

Not that I expect Chung to lose his starting spot but I completely disagree that it isn't even possible. Lawyer Milloy played most of the snaps while he was here. There's no way Belichick is going to cut him loose for a little salary cap room and rely on a rookie CB named Eugene Wilson and an aging Rodney Harrison to man the safety spots.
That's not really a good comparison. Milloy was past his prime and overpaid at that point and wasn't even drafted by Belichick. Chung has none of those problems.

Last edited:
That's not really a good comparison. Milloy was past his prime and overpaid at that point and wasn't even drafted by Belichick. Chung has none of those problems.

I just don't understand your argument. You're saying a safety duo of Landry and Barron have no chance of taking snaps away from Chung because he's been on the field so much when healthy. Well, they weren't on the team when Chung was getting so many snaps. If they prove to be better options than Chung, Belichick isn't going to stubbornly play him anyway simply because that's "his guy."

If a top WR like Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd fell to us and we took him, are you saying it's impossible to expect more 3 WR sets with him, Welker and Lloyd? We would still run as many 2 TE formations because Gronk and Hernandez are "his guys?"

I just don't understand your argument. You're saying a safety duo of Landry and Barron have no chance of taking snaps away from Chung because he's been on the field so much when healthy. Well, they weren't on the team when Chung was getting so many snaps. If they prove to be better options than Chung, Belichick isn't going to stubbornly play him anyway simply because that's "his guy."
No, I'm saying there's no chance Belichick will both sign Landry and draft Barron because upgrading Chung is probably his last priority.

No, I'm saying there's no chance Belichick will both sign Landry and draft Barron because upgrading Chung is probably his last priority.

Considering how often the defense was in sub packages last year, it isn't crazy to think Belichick would want more talent at S. And if he's high on Barron, I don't think a player with an achilles injury that's missed 15 games in the past 2 seasons will stop him from drafting him. (not to mention Chung missing 8 last season)

Again, I'm not anti-Chung by any means, I simply don't agree that he's untouchable and the Pats will refuse to upgrade his spot if the right opportunities come along.

After signing Brandon Lloyd, you really believe the New England Patriots have the salary cap room to be in the running for LaRon Landry when the following New England Patriots unrestricted free agents have yet to be signed:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Deion Branch
Andre Carter
Mark Anderson (long shot)
Dan Koppen (long shot)

Furthermore, the New England Patriots may wish to resolve the tight end depth via unrestricted free agency, i.e., Daniels Fells.

Last edited:
Do you think it's a coincidence that it's not always the same safety playing closer to the LOS? Furthermore, Chung has served as the team's nickel in the past. Not just dime, but nickel.

And BB refutes your position. End of story.

Offenses will sometimes dictate how the safeties are going to play their responsibilities. It doesn't mean that we don't have safeties that are better in coverage and some who are more suited to play the run. There was a reason why McCourty ended up playing FS for us at the end of the season. It wasn't for his ability to play the run.

Offenses will sometimes dictate how the safeties are going to play their responsibilities. It doesn't mean that we don't have safeties that are better in coverage and some who are more suited to play the run.

That's not the argument you were making. You were making the argument about SS and FS:

IMO Ihedigbo plays SS better than Chung. Take the names out of their jerseys and evaluate both of them for their play last season and Ihedigbo was a better performer.

We do need a coverage safety back there. Converting one of our corners into a FS full time might not be a bad idea.

Don't start with the goalpost moving stuff now.

There was a reason why McCourty ended up playing FS for us at the end of the season. It wasn't for his ability to play the run.

You're right. It was because he was sucking at CB. But he was playing L/R safety, not SS/FS.

Last edited:
Considering how often the defense was in sub packages last year, it isn't crazy to think Belichick would want more talent at S. And if he's high on Barron, I don't think a player with an achilles injury that's missed 15 games in the past 2 seasons will stop him from drafting him. (not to mention Chung missing 8 last season)

Again, I'm not anti-Chung by any means, I simply don't agree that he's untouchable and the Pats will refuse to upgrade his spot if the right opportunities come along.
It's not a matter of him being untouchable or some amazing player. It's about that right opportunity will most likely never come along in Bill's eyes because he won't see the value in spending resources to upgrade a player that he feels plays the position almost exactly the way he wants it played. If Pittsburgh trades Polamalu to NE for a 5th round pick or Barron drops to the 4th round and they draft him, then Chung might be in trouble. But none of that stuff is happening.

It's not a matter of him being untouchable or some amazing player. It's about that right opportunity will most likely never come along in Bill's eyes because he won't see the value in spending resources to upgrade a player that he feels plays the position almost exactly the way he wants it played. If Pittsburgh trades Polamalu to NE for a 5th round pick or Barron drops to the 4th round and they draft him, then Chung might be in trouble. But none of that stuff is happening.

Belichick doesn't have to be looking for an upgrade. As we've seen with the Patriots, they value depth. Landry and Chung combined to miss 16 games last season. Drafting Barron doesn't mean Belichick is looking to replace anyone, it's mean he sees a player that can add something to the team. Once they're on the team, their play will determine who sees the field the most. That's why I think Chung could certainly lose playing time if other players came in and did better.

Tom Brady wasn't drafted by Belichick to replace Bledsoe by the end of his second season. You don't have to be looking for an upgrade to find one.

After signing Brandon Lloyd, you really believe the New England Patriots have the salary cap room to be in the running for LaRon Landry when the following New England Patriots unrestricted free agents have yet to be signed:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Deion Branch
Andre Carter
Mark Anderson (long shot)
Dan Koppen (long shot)

Furthermore, the New England Patriots may wish to resolve the tight end depth via unrestricted free agency, i.e., Daniels Fells.

I suppose it all depends. There are some reports and tweets that suggest the NEP are the front runners to land Landry in the next few days.

I'm not sure that cap space is that much of an issue less than a week into the new league year, is it? By all accounts, the team has approximately 5-6 million left anyway.

I'm guessing that it doesn't happen, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Belichick doesn't have to be looking for an upgrade. As we've seen with the Patriots, they value depth. Landry and Chung combined to miss 16 games last season. Drafting Barron doesn't mean Belichick is looking to replace anyone, it's mean he sees a player that can add something to the team. Once they're on the team, their play will determine who sees the field the most. That's why I think Chung could certainly lose playing time if other players came in and did better.

Tom Brady wasn't drafted by Belichick to replace Bledsoe by the end of his second season. You don't have to be looking for an upgrade to find one.
All that's fair. My original point to that other poster was that Belichick isn't going to go out of his way and use significant resources to bring in "camp competition" specifically for Chung.

All that's fair. My original point to that other poster was that Belichick isn't going to go out of his way and use significant resources to bring in "camp competition" specifically for Chung.

I think you're right to some degree. I don't think that 'significant resources' will be used just for competition; but there could be a draft pick or a guy like Landry too. Otherwise, it will be UDFA's, lower level FA signing/team cuts, or the like.

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes