PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cosell Talks: 2011 Elevated Belichick’s Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Film doesn't lie...

Which is why he won't be back. Because that was 5 years ago, a lifetime in WR/dog years and with him it didn't even work then down the stretch.

They need a WR who can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, not a simple deep threat and certainly not a 35 year old one who can't get off the jam and beat even single coverage consistently anymore.

Yessir. Deadass right.

If Moss really can run a sub 4.4, and is willing to play on the cheap, it is a no-brainer.

Jerry rice ran a 4.65 4o time(he ran a 4.71 at the combine), larry fitzgerald 4.63 40 time.

I see your point Moss still has his legs:cool:

If only. But Moss has always had phenomenal hands as well. If he hasn't lost the speed, then he's still very dangerous.

Not if he's lost his physicality and vertical ability...which he almost certainly has.

Jerry rice ran a 4.65 4o time(he ran a 4.71 at the combine), larry fitzgerald 4.63 40 time.

I see your point Moss still has his legs:cool:

Fitz never ran a 4.6. That's widely reported as his combine time, when he really didn't run at the combine and that 4.6 was just a projection. He ran 4.48 at his pro day.

Not if he's lost his physicality and vertical ability...which he almost certainly has.

And not to mention if he never really had the stones to go across the middle, as the alligator arms indicated when he was increasingly asked to, or the quicks to shake coverage on intermediate routes as the others skills eroded. When you're essentially a one trick pony and you throw a shoe you're toast. And using you as a decoy won't play in this league for longer than a series or two because DC's aren't idiots.

And not to mention if he never really had the stones to go across the middle, as the alligator arms indicated when he was increasingly asked to, or the quicks to shake coverage on intermediate routes as the others skills eroded. When you're essentially a one trick pony and you throw a shoe you're toast. And using you as a decoy won't play in this league for longer than a series or two because DC's aren't idiots.

If Moss truly can still run a 4.4+ 40, and still has really good hands, then if you line him up on the outside teams will HAVE to respect that, because, if nothing else, he'll still have the ability to burn you deep.

Now I have no idea if he still has that kind of speed. But let's assume it's true. Put it this way: if Brady throws that bomb in the Ravens' game to a healthy, 4.4-running Randy Moss, there's a pretty good chance that ball isn't intercepted.

He doesn't have to run 8-yard crossing routes in order to be an effective player in this offense.

Note: I am not advocating signing him. I'm just saying that if it's true that he still has that speed, he could be useful.

If Moss truly can still run a 4.4+ 40, and still has really good hands, then if you line him up on the outside teams will HAVE to respect that, because, if nothing else, he'll still have the ability to burn you deep.

Now I have no idea if he still has that kind of speed. But let's assume it's true. Put it this way: if Brady throws that bomb in the Ravens' game to a healthy, 4.4-running Randy Moss, there's a pretty good chance that ball isn't intercepted.

He doesn't have to run 8-yard crossing routes in order to be an effective player in this offense.

Note: I am not advocating signing him. I'm just saying that if it's true that he still has that speed, he could be useful.

That's BS because a healthy Gronk would have boxed the defender out rather than be undercut at best or made contested the catch like a defender to sure the db didn't catch the damn ball at worst whereas the Randy Moss of 2008-10 proved he could or would not do either any more. That INT wasn't about lack of speed, it was about lack of confidence and agility due to injury on a ball thrown under duress. Randy doesn't make plays on those balls any more. He catches essentially uncontested balls when he gets a free release and is wide open due to blown coverage. Welker and Branch can do that, too.

That's BS because a healthy Gronk would have boxed the defender out rather than be undercut at best or made contested the catch like a defender to sure the db didn't catch the damn ball at worst whereas the Randy Moss of 2008-10 proved he could or would not do either any more.

Ok.

That INT wasn't about lack of speed, it was about lack of confidence and agility due to injury on a ball thrown under duress. Randy doesn't make plays on those balls any more. He catches essentially uncontested balls when he gets a free release and is wide open due to blown coverage. Welker and Branch can do that, too.

Can Welker or Branch do this:

Randy Moss one-handed TD catch against Darrelle Revis - YouTube

I know that was blown coverage, but still...the effortless one-handed grab was amazing.

Here are some 2010 highlights (granted, there weren't many of them):

Randy Moss 2010 Season - All 5 TD's - YouTube

The second one on this clip he had to fight through some physical coverage against the Bills. And the bomb against the Jets when he was with Min, he out-battled Cromartie for the TD.

I'm not saying other receivers can't outfight defenders better than Moss does. I'm just saying that if he still has 4.4 speed, with his hands, he can be a very dangerous player. I find it hard to believe that's a position that you (or anyone else) would want to argue with.

The issue imo isn't what Moss can do it is the quit in him, you simply don't know when or where it will crop up and I just don't see Belichik using a roster spot for a player that could give up at literally any moment. I think Moss is done and he just wants to make some more money before actually retiring for good. If he loved playing he would have continued to play last season instead of giving it up.

I can understand the lure because at his best he did things that you didn't believe could be done, and given the need for a deep threat people are going to really consider it, but there are players available to address these needs and the Patriots will look at the more serious options instead of returning to Moss imo.

I'm not saying other receivers can't outfight defenders better than Moss does. I'm just saying that if he still has 4.4 speed, with his hands, he can be a very dangerous player. I find it hard to believe that's a position that you (or anyone else) would want to argue with.

:confused:

I'd imagine a lot of formerly elite players who are on the precipitous downslope of their careers look a lot better in two-year-old highlight videos than they would presently.

:confused:

I'd imagine a lot of formerly elite players who are on the precipitous downslope of their careers look a lot better in two-year-old highlight videos than they would presently.

I'm positive you're right about that. If you go back and read my post where I linked to those highlights, it was clear that I was responding to something specific that MoLewisrocks said.

Look, I have offered enough caveats (*if* he is healthy, *if* he truly can run a 4.4 40 still, *if* he is properly motivated, etc.), but if those conditions are actually met, then yes, I firmly believe he could be very useful to the Patriots. Obviously, it's totally possible that he can't run that well, that he isn't fully healthy, that he isn't really properly motivated and will be a pain to deal with, etc. Totally possible, and if that latter stuff is true, then I don't want him anywhere near the Patriots.

But what does it cost them to check it out? Zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case