PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cosell Talks: 2011 Elevated Belichick’s Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
His points about the lack of a weapon to stretch the field vertically reflects a lot of the conversation here, it was especially interesting that D coordinators around the field confirmed this.

But he hasnt won a SB post spygate! His winning percentage since is a crappy .800% :rolleyes:

Interesting piece. the comments are even more interesting. It still bewilders me how many idiots just refuse to give Bill B. the credit he deserves. Their obtuse stubbornness continues to amaze me.

Interesting piece. the comments are even more interesting. It still bewilders me how many idiots just refuse to give Bill B. the credit he deserves. Their obtuse stubbornness continues to amaze me.

In that respect, BB is like a honey badger.

Last edited:
His points about the lack of a weapon to stretch the field vertically reflects a lot of the conversation here, it was especially interesting that D coordinators around the field confirmed this.

I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't agree that they need some WR's who can produce outside the hash marks and down the field more, the questions are who, how to get them, and what to give up for them. Pretty much everyone would love Lloyd, Wayne, and to some degree Colston, as well as additions in the draft and UDFA. If defensive coordinators are talking to Cosell about this, and i believe him on that, then Belichick knows the same and will address it this offseason.

The inability of Price and Tate to develop into good options really hurt them this season, and Ocho sucking wiped out the insurance policy, so there should be real movement here and it won't be Moss.

On the draft front I had liked the idea of M. Sanu WR Rutgers until I learned he didn't have a reception over 27 yards all season. Doesn't mean he can't turn into Givens at his best and a good WR but it isn't what they need right now. If he falls i would love to see them take Kendall Wright out of Baylor, even if he is short, he fills the bill for a serious deep threat.

Excellent article with an excellent perspective. This was an indeed flawed team that got pretty far on a patched, makeshift backfield and a virtually non-existent vertical threat.

Even I wasn't expecting them to go all the way to the superbowl. For that alone, I suppose we shouldn't really be that disappointed.

I've never understood how BB's legacy is hurt by losing a close game in the Super Bowl.

He has two SB rings as a key assistant with the Giants.
He has three SB rings as the head coach with the Patriots.
He has two more AFC Championships as the head coach with the Patriots.
His overall record as an NFL head coach is 175-97 (.643).

Any more Super Bowl appearances will only enhance his legacy, not diminish it.

Nice article,
One would think getting to a 5th SB could only enhance a legacy, after already winning 3. Makes me wonder what the ramifications of a 6th would be, win or lose.

If Moss really can run a sub 4.4, and is willing to play on the cheap, it is a no-brainer.

I actually didn't think this was a particularly well written piece... he makes a lot of statements but does little to back them up with examples

But the point is still valid

Fans and media alike were blasting Belichick for his tinkering and cutting established players and generally criticizing him for going into this season somewhat unprepared.

They were right in some ways, though this was a very odd off-season too

But the bottom line is that Belichick got all these odd moving parts working together as a team, and they were one missed opportunity from winning it all.

That's a lot more impressive than 2007 or even most of the Super Bowl Championship years.

If Moss really can run a sub 4.4, and is willing to play on the cheap, it is a no-brainer.

Tate and Jackson and Johnson (Bethel) could do that so obviously it isn't. It's about what you can do consistently in pads under pressure with a CB in your hip pocket and another DB or two closing in on you...in weeks 16, 17, 18 and beyond.

Excellent article with an excellent perspective. This was an indeed flawed team that got pretty far on a patched, makeshift backfield and a virtually non-existent vertical threat.

Even I wasn't expecting them to go all the way to the superbowl. For that alone, I suppose we shouldn't really be that disappointed.
Thats been my take. Of course i'm a little disappointed that we didn't get one of those bounces, or complete one of those throws that would have on the game. But hey I Never thought they'ed make it to the SB, so this loss was a lot easier to take than '07

Yep, same way I saw it.

I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't agree that they need some WR's who can produce outside the hash marks and down the field more, the questions are who, how to get them, and what to give up for them. Pretty much everyone would love Lloyd, Wayne, and to some degree Colston, as well as additions in the draft and UDFA. If defensive coordinators are talking to Cosell about this, and i believe him on that, then Belichick knows the same and will address it this offseason.

The inability of Price and Tate to develop into good options really hurt them this season, and Ocho sucking wiped out the insurance policy, so there should be real movement here and it won't be Moss.

On the draft front I had liked the idea of M. Sanu WR Rutgers until I learned he didn't have a reception over 27 yards all season. Doesn't mean he can't turn into Givens at his best and a good WR but it isn't what they need right now. If he falls i would love to see them take Kendall Wright out of Baylor, even if he is short, he fills the bill for a serious deep threat.

It really is to bad Price and Tate couldn't develop into good receivers. I had high hopes for Price. I expect BB to make a run at a good free agent receiver and add some depth through the draft.

Nice article.

I really hope BB just skips WR completely in the draft and goes after some of the proven guys in free agency. It's clear they just can't figure out how to spot a good WR prospect coming out of college, at least in the pick range where the Pats usually find themselves.

If only speed were the only attribute necessary to make one a competent receiver.

Film doesn't lie...

It was a dimension they lacked, and in fact, one they have been missing since the 2007 season, Randy Moss’ last productive year in New England.

Which is why he won't be back. Because that was 5 years ago, a lifetime in WR/dog years and with him it didn't even work then down the stretch.

They need a WR who can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, not a simple deep threat and certainly not a 35 year old one who can't get off the jam and beat even single coverage consistently anymore.

If only speed were the only attribute necessary to make one a competent receiver.

If only. But Moss has always had phenomenal hands as well. If he hasn't lost the speed, then he's still very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back