PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contracts to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
So write a letter to BB and tell him that.

Also, not sure if you noticed but they won the SB. Backups and all. I know that spoils your "**** on danny amendola party" but that is what happens.

Lets let BB run the team. Shall we? He aint playing for a million a year even if his GF and mom think he should. He will just be gone.
I posted my opinion on the current salary cap situation.

It's obvious now that if an opinion differs from yours, resort to the "in Bill we trust" card.

I posted my opinion on the current salary cap situation.

It's obvious now that if an opinion differs from yours, resort to the "in Bill we trust" card.

ITs not in Bill we trust. Its "you aint gonna get **** for a million a year at that position" much less DA.

Stop with the strawman, admit that yeah, a million is low, and move on.

ITs not in Bill we trust. Its "you aint gonna get **** for a million a year at that position" much less DA.

Stop with the strawman, admit that yeah, a million is low, and move on.
You don't know what the heck the New England Patriots will do this off-season with Danny Amendola.

Get off your high horse.

You don't know what the heck the New England Patriots will do this off-season with Danny Amendola.

Get off your high horse.
Who said I did? He will either restructure or be gone Only you have a problem with this. Did DA take a **** on your lawn?

What decent player plays for a million a year unless the rest is all heavy incentives? Grow up

I agree he should restructure. I have been preaching that all season. If they kept him as is (which they wont) AND he picked up right where he left off, I wouldnt throw a hissy fit like some here would.

But its not happening in this hypothetical scenario since we have too many cap issues.

But it dosent change the fact that restructuring or a pay cut is not the same as your suggestion of playing for 1 million a year. That aint happening no matter how much you hate the guy.

Well the $1M takes into consideration we have given him $11.9M for 2 seasons of mediocre performance, so if we give him $1M it is essentially a 3-year/$12.9M contract, which is $4.3M per season, which in my opinion is still significantly overpaid. I would give him $1M for a base and keep his $500K in incentives, any more than that he can walk. He is not going to get a much better offer than that on the UFA market, it is a good UFA market and a deep draft.

The Pats love to defer. As your post indicates, there is lots of work to do and all interconnected.
I hope the Patriots do not wait until 3 PM March 10th to get started.

The patriots cannot wait until the last hour to get started. Decisions with regard to Revis, Wilfork, Browner, Solder, Gronkowski, and Ninkovich need to be made before the deadline. Also, the franchise decisions regarding McCourty and/or Gostkowski need to be made before the deadline. These decisions involve bonus and guaranteed money that will paid if the player is on the team at 4PM on March 11th.

Presuming one player is franchised, the decisions on the other eight free agents could theoretically wait.
This isn't a long list. I presume that some will be re-signed before March 11th. Also, I suspect an additional restructure or two might be worked out by then (perhaps Mayo).

Well the $1M takes into consideration we have given him $11.9M for 2 seasons of mediocre performance, so if we give him $1M it is essentially a 3-year/$12.9M contract, which is $4.3M per season, which in my opinion is still significantly overpaid. I would give him $1M for a base and keep his $500K in incentives, any more than that he can walk. He is not going to get a much better offer than that on the UFA market, it is a good UFA market and a deep draft.
Teams with money may take him. But he isnt a UFA right now anyway. Yes, he is overpaid, we get it.

You make two statements that I disagree with
1) The patriot offer should include consideration that he has been overpaid in the past, rather than being wholly based on future production and future compensation.
2) Amendola can't get a much better offer elsewhere. Of course, as with Welker, if Amendola walks because we told him that he was worth $1.5M to the team and signed elsewhere, somehow our offer would now become better than what he received.

BOTTOM LINE (in response to your position)
Amendola is worth more the $1M in salary plus $500K in incentives.

Who said I did? He will either restructure or be gone Only you have a problem with this. Did DA take a **** on your lawn?

What decent player plays for a million a year unless the rest is all heavy incentives? Grow up
Julian Edelman played for less than a million in calendar year 2013 and Julian Edelman was already a proven punt returner by calendar year 2013.

My thoughts are:

Revis for 4 years & 50 mill of new money - SB 10 mill year 1: 7mill, Cap hit 14.5 mill
McCourty 5 years 35mill 15 mill SB and year 1: 2mill and 5mill cap hit.

This keeps Revis and McCourty and leaves 5.5mill savings from Revis present 25mill cap hit.

Solder, same as McCourty cap hit 5 mill - Savings 2.5mill

Vince $ need to be reduced. Keep his contract the same but remove the 4.5 roster bonus- now he may very well leave, but the transition needs to take place sometime and this year we are up against the cap
Mayo is the same, he needs to cut his base to 5mill and remove other bonuses

Arrington 1.5 mill and Amendola 2 mill both need to take a combined 3.5 mill salary reductions

This moves will give us about 19 mill for Ayers, Branch, Ghost, RFA obligations, draft picks, ps rainy day fund, and a couple of cheap FA

I think that you greatly underestimate the value of McCourty in thinking that he will sign for 5/$35M.

Julian Edelman played for less than a million in calendar year 2013 and Julian Edelman was already a proven punt returner by calendar year 2013.
Yes, somehow we pulled a fast one. Then IIRC they let him test the market again and any team could have grabbed him for a nominal contract. Not sure how that all worked out but it did.

Brandon LaFell played 2014 for $800K base and $200K roster bonus.

I don't know that Connolly is a "must retain." I'll be surprised if they don't target OG early on in this draft.
Doing both seems the most likely. A rookie with Kline as the backup doesn't work for me.

I think that you greatly underestimate the value of McCourty in thinking that he will sign for 5/$35M.
Food for thought:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

3/11/2014: Signed a six-year, $54 million contract. The deal contains $26.3 million guaranteed -- an $11 million signing bonus, Byrd's first- and second-year base salaries, and his $6 million roster bonus in the second year. Byrd is eligible for annual $100,000 workout bonuses in years two through five. 2014: $1.3 million, 2015: $2 million (+ $6 million roster bonus), 2016: $7.4 million, 2017-2019: $8.6 million, 2020: Free Agent

Amendola’s $3.6M remaining bonus hits the cap no matter what; it is a sunk cost, so it would be $4.4M in new money to keep Amendola, not the $2.1M as you have suggested.

Considering the restructure that the team made with Brady to free up cash flow I would have to believe real money matters just as much as cap money in their decisions.

Come on

I have posted at least a dozen posted making clear that the amount of new money for Amendnola is $4.5M.

You make two statements that I disagree with
1) The patriot offer should include consideration that he has been overpaid in the past, rather than being wholly based on future production and future compensation.
2) Amendola can't get a much better offer elsewhere. Of course, as with Welker, if Amendola walks because we told him that he was worth $1.5M to the team and signed elsewhere, somehow our offer would now become better than what he received.

BOTTOM LINE (in response to your position)
Amendola is worth more the $1M in salary plus $500K in incentives.
Tell me a team that would pay him more than $1.5M per season? Lance Moore get $855K last offseason same type of player and more productive in his career. Jason Avant received $1.05M last season, Jerricho Cotchery $1.25K, Nate Burleson, $940K, I can go on. Amendola is not going to get more than $1.5M on the open market, I will put $100 on it right now if you want to wager.

Come on

I have posted at least a dozen posted making clear that the amount of new money for Amendnola is $4.5M.
So why did you say $2.1M? I did not read all your posts, so I was only responding to the one I read. As I said it read $2.1M to keep him.

Brandon LaFell played 2014 for $800K base and $200K roster bonus.
Ok, sure, as part of a 9 million dollar contract. My point stands and you know exactly what I was getting at so dont try to change the criteria of the original point.

LaFell has received a $3 million signing bonus, which almost assuredly locks him into a roster spot for this upcoming season. The structure of his deal implies that LaFell is expected to have a growing role in the offense.

Year 1 (2014): $800k base, $12.5k per active game (up to $200k), cap hit is $2 million with his pro-rated signing bonus.

Year 2 (2015): $1.8 million base, $25k per active game (up to $400k), cap hit is $3.2 million.

Year 3 (2016): $2.4 million base, $25k per active game (up to $400k), cap hit is $3.8 million

Teams with money may take him. But he isnt a UFA right now anyway. Yes, he is overpaid, we get it.
What # do you think Amendola would be on this list?
1. Dez Bryant
2. Demaryius Thomas
3. Randall Cobb
4. Jeremy Maclin
5. Torrey Smith
6. Michael Crabtree
7. Kenny Britt
8. Cecil Shorts
9. Eddie Royal
10. Nate Washington
11. Wes Welker
12. Hakeem Nicks
13. Reggie Wayne
14. Denarius Moore
15. Leonard Hankerson
16. Dwayne Harris
17. Vincent Brown
18. Miles Austin
19. Jerrel Jernigan
20. Brandon Lloyd
21. Brad Smith
22. Santana Moss
23. Jason Avant
24. Marcus Easley
25. Derek Hagan
26. Robert Meachem
27. Greg Salas
28. Dane Sanzenbacher
29. Kevin Ogletree
30. Darrius Heyward-Bey

Doing both seems the most likely. A rookie with Kline as the backup doesn't work for me.
Did two rookies starting on the offensive line for the New England Patriots during the 2005 NFL Season work for you especially after the departures of Andruzzi and Klemm:

Mankins
Kaczur

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents