PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contracts to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connolly has to be wondering about his health, concussion-related and otherwise. He's also coming off a season in which he was a captain of a Super Bowl winning team and got an All-Pro vote. So he could choose to retire.

My best guess is that he stays on a contract that has heavy playing-time incentives. He's too young for his family to insist that he retire for any reason OTHER than health, and hey -- every million dollars more of income matters. :)

Ghostkowski, Connolly, DMC must be retained IMO. Revis must be extended preferably a 3 year deal. Most of the others would be nice to have on the cheap but I think we could do without if not the right price.

I don't know that Connolly is a "must retain." I'll be surprised if they don't target OG early on in this draft.

I know you dont care for the guy and have suggested Vet min but you are not going to get anyone decent for the type of deal you are suggesting. If they can get Dobson in there or Boyce great but DA's contributions, ST play, familiarity with the system and ability to fill in for JE should he get injured are worth more than some crappy salary.
How much are you willing to pay a 29 year old wide receiver who registered 27 pass receptions for 200 pass receiving yards during the previous season in unrestricted free agency?

You mean that there is no one who thinks he's worth keeping because keeping him only costs us $2.1M and Amendola is worth $2.1M? No one?
Amendola’s $3.6M remaining bonus hits the cap no matter what; it is a sunk cost, so it would be $4.4M in new money to keep Amendola, not the $2.1M as you have suggested.

Considering the restructure that the team made with Brady to free up cash flow I would have to believe real money matters just as much as cap money in their decisions.

How much are you willing to pay a 29 year old wide receiver who registered 27 pass receptions for 200 pass receiving yards during the previous season in unrestricted free agency?
Good question. Pats pay for future here not past. If we did not this team would be a joke. DA got healthy and came on nicely the latter part of the season. In fact he was playing so well that he knocked the 3rd greatest rookie TE (who already had 6 touchdowns mind you) completely out of the lineup.
Given his versatility, attitude, current play, chemistry with JE and TB and the fact he delivered when asked to I would have no problem restructuring him so he gets the same money with a bonus spread out over a few years. Perhaps even more incentive stuff.

You seriously undersell this guy. We have had so many issues getting WR on the same page with TB. Plus you still have to pay someone if DA is gone. Can AD or JB fill in at a lower cost? Not sure.

If DA continued at current performance and the team with current chemistry I would not have a problem with him at current salary.
I think you are drunk on the Kool Aide right now man. Amendola was good in the playoffs, but he was not $5.7M good. There was the 51 yard touchdown catch that was on a trick play throw by Edelman, the argument can be made that 99% of the WRs in the NFL would have been able to run that route uncovered and make that catch so lets not factor that into his production for the sake of this discussion. His playoff production without that play was 10 catches for 87 yards in 3 games..

I have said several times I agree with you that I would like to see Amendola back but there is no way in the world that I would be ok with his returning at his current salary. The #3 WR on the team should not have the 8th highest cap hit, that is just not logical for any team outside of the Raiders.

Good question. Pats pay for future here not past. If we did not this team would be a joke. DA got healthy and came on nicely the latter part of the season. In fact he was playing so well that he knocked the 3rd greatest rookie TE (who already had 6 touchdowns mind you) completely out of the lineup.
Given his versatility, attitude, current play, chemistry with JE and TB and the fact he delivered when asked to I would have no problem restructuring him so he gets the same money with a bonus spread out over a few years. Perhaps even more incentive stuff.

You seriously undersell this guy. We have had so many issues getting WR on the same page with TB. Plus you still have to pay someone if DA is gone. Can AD or JB fill in at a lower cost? Not sure.
Oh really?

Julian Edelman 2012 NFL Season

21 pass receptions, 235 pass receiving yards

Julian Edelman 2013 NFL Contract

http://www.patscap.com/2013capinfo.html

I think you are drunk on the Kool Aide right now man. Amendola was good in the playoffs, but he was not $5.7M good. There was the 51 yard touchdown catch that was on a trick play throw by Edelman, the argument can be made that 99% of the WRs in the NFL would have been able to run that route uncovered and make that catch so lets not factor that into his production for the sake of this discussion. His playoff production without that play was 10 catches for 87 yards in 3 games..

I have said several times I agree with you that I would like to see Amendola back but there is no way in the world that I would be ok with his returning at his current salary. The #3 WR on the team should not have the 8th highest cap hit, that is just not logical for any team outside of the Raiders.

Give his PLAY - Its not just his salary, its his salary combined with the money we eat if we cut him plus the money we spend on the replacement top 51 or his replacement.

Nobody else but you had an issue with what I posted but you. What a shocker. It was a point I made with a strong contingent.

Ahhh, the ole "lets not count that one play" routine. Love that one.

Oh really?

Julian Edelman 2012 NFL Season

21 pass receptions, 235 pass receiving yards

Julian Edelman 2013 NFL Contract

http://www.patscap.com/2013capinfo.html

They knew what they had in JE. They saw him in practice every day. Are we supposed to take WW out to get JE more stats? JE was young, already an elite return guy and there was no WW coming back and from what I remember no DA yet.

You want to tell this forum that the pats are all about paying for future performance for the most part? That has been the teams MO for a long time.

Give his PLAY - Its not just his salary, its his salary combined with the money we eat if we cut him plus the money we spend on the replacement top 51 or his replacement.

Nobody else but you had an issue with what I posted but you. What a shocker. It was a point I made with a strong contingent.

Ahhh, the ole "lets not count that one play" routine. Love that one.
You have a player who played 19 games had 38 catches for 337 yards, you want to bring him back for $4.5M more than we have already have invested. The remaining cap money is sunk, do you know what a sunk cost is? If you do you know it is not something you should factor into the decision, so as I said it is $4.5M more to keep him. You are ok with that?

Do you disagree that 99% of NFL WRs could have made that play on the Edelman pass?

They knew what they had in JE. They saw him in practice every day. Are we supposed to take WW out to get JE more stats? JE was young, already an elite return guy and there was no WW coming back and from what I remember no DA yet.

You want to tell this forum that the pats are all about paying for future performance for the most part? That has been the teams MO for a long time.
Amendola had signed before Edelman.

I could not remember.
Edelman had a broken foot during free agency so he was on the market for a while, likely factoring into us bringing him back at the minimum.

When a player does not meet "future performance", he is asked to take a pay cut. Ask former New England Patriots wide receivers Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson and Brandon Lloyd about pay cuts. Ask former New England Patriot safety Lawyer Milloy about pay cuts. Ask former New England Patriots offensive guard Logan Mankins about pay cuts.

Either take a pay cut or hit the road, jack.

Edelman had a broken foot during free agency so he was on the market for a while, likely factoring into us bringing him back at the minimum.
When a player does not meet "future performance", he is asked to take a pay cut. Ask former New England Patriots wide receivers Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson and Brandon Lloyd about pay cuts. Ask former New England Patriot safety Lawyer Milloy about pay cuts. Ask former New England Patriots offensive guard Logan Mankins about pay cuts.

Either take a pay cut or hit the road, jack.

I agree he should restructure. I have been preaching that all season. If they kept him as is (which they wont) AND he picked up right where he left off, I wouldnt throw a hissy fit like some here would.

But its not happening in this hypothetical scenario since we have too many cap issues.

But it dosent change the fact that restructuring or a pay cut is not the same as your suggestion of playing for 1 million a year. That aint happening no matter how much you hate the guy.

I agree he should restructure. I have been preaching that all season. If they kept him as is (which they wont) AND he picked up right where he left off, I wouldnt throw a hissy fit like some here would.

But its not happening in this hypothetical scenario since we have too many cap issues.

But it dosent change the fact that restructuring or a pay cut is not the same as your suggestion of playing for 1 million a year. That aint happening no matter how much you hate the guy.
Picked up where he left off?

The roles have reversed. Edelman is the starter and Amendola is the backup. Amendola can play for the veteran minimum salary during the 2015 NFL Season as was the case for Edelman during the 2013 NFL Season. As a sign of good faith, Amendola can keep his $500,000 roster bonus for the 2015 NFL Season versus the paltry $40,000 roster bonus Edelman received for the 2013 NFL Season.

Picked up where he left off?

Yes, continuing to play the way he played the later part of the season. What is so hard to understand?

Yes, continuing to play the way he played the later part of the season. What is so hard to understand?
What's not hard to understand that backups get paid backup money and starters get paid starters money especially when a team is faced with salary cap overages.

What's not hard to understand that backups get paid backup money and starters get paid starters money especially when a team is faced with salary cap overages.
So write a letter to BB and tell him that.

Also, not sure if you noticed but they won the SB. Backups and all. I know that spoils your "**** on danny amendola party" but that is what happens.

Lets let BB run the team. Shall we? He aint playing for a million a year even if his GF and mom think he should. He will just be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST