PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comp Pick tracker for 2015

fester

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just want to throw this placeholder post up for the 2015 draft in order to track what the Patriots may expect to see in terms of Comp picks next year.

Eligible Free Agents lost:
Aquib Talib (6 years 56 million to Denver)
Dane Fletcher (??) 1 year low salary to Tampa Bay
Brandon Spikes (1 year 3.5 million to Buffalo)

Eligible Free Agents signed:
LaFell (3 years 9 million total -- matches against Spikes)
Browner (3 years 17.5 million -- does this match against Fletcher or Talib)

Remaining Pats free agents that could get included in the calculation --
LaGarette Blount?

So right now, depending on if Fletcher qualifies as high enough salary, and depending on how Browner maps to either Fletcher or Talib, the Pats would be in line for either a 3rd round pick or a 7th round pick.

If Blount signs elsewhere and gets a multi year deal then it seems likely that Browner would match up with him. The Pats could still sign a veteran DE, but I bet they would match up with Fletcher. A 3rd round pick for Talib seems likely, which obviously is pretty kick ass. Do you know if the Patriots would be able to be compensated for Revis if they decline his option and don't resign him at the end of the season?

If Blount signs elsewhere and gets a multi year deal then it seems likely that Browner would match up with him. The Pats could still sign a veteran DE, but I bet they would match up with Fletcher. A 3rd round pick for Talib seems likely, which obviously is pretty kick ass. Do you know if the Patriots would be able to be compensated for Revis if they decline his option and don't resign him at the end of the season?
If the Patriots decline Revis' option, he will not be eligible for comp pick calculation.

Question for Brother Miguel and anyone who knows...Does the League in fact not disclose their Calculus in determining Comp Picks, as I believe I once read somewhere? That would be astonishing, if so.

If Blount signs elsewhere and gets a multi year deal then it seems likely that Browner would match up with him.

It's hard to imagine, at this point, that Blount is going to get much at all.

And I must admit that that disappoints me. I've never had much regard for the guy, but I figured that at least one Team would be stupid enough to drop $10 Mill for 3 or 4 Years on'm.

No way he's getting within a million miles of what Browner got, Bro.

I don't know how that affects the Comp Formula, though. I haven't a clue.

Just want to throw this placeholder post up for the 2015 draft in order to track what the Patriots may expect to see in terms of Comp picks next year.

Eligible Free Agents lost:
Aquib Talib (6 years 56 million to Denver)
Dane Fletcher (??) 1 year low salary to Tampa Bay
Brandon Spikes (1 year 3.5 million to Buffalo)

So right now, depending on if Fletcher qualifies as high enough salary, and depending on how Browner maps to either Fletcher or Talib, the Pats would be in line for either a 3rd round pick or a 7th round pick.

Fletcher's deal has a base of $1.2M, so it qualifies.

Question for Brother Miguel and anyone who knows...Does the League in fact not disclose their Calculus in determining Comp Picks, as I believe I once read somewhere? That would be astonishing, if so.

Believe it or not, that is largely correct.

The one thing that usually gets released at some point is the list of qualifying free agents gained/lost for the teams that received picks, but that's it.

And if that blows your mind, Grid, how about this fun fact:

The NFL and NFLPA know the rookie cap allotments for each individual draft pick (i.e., pick 30 is worth X, pick 31 is worth Y), but not only do they not release them to the public, they don't release them to the teams, either.

Believe it or not, that is largely correct.

The one thing that usually gets released at some point is the list of qualifying free agents gained/lost for the teams that received picks, but that's it.

And if that blows your mind, Grid, how about this fun fact:

The NFL and NFLPA know the rookie cap allotments for each individual draft pick (i.e., pick 30 is worth X, pick 31 is worth Y), but not only do they not release them to the public, they don't release them to the teams, either.

:eek: .....

I don't have the words...

It's hard to imagine, at this point, that Blount is going to get much at all.

And I must admit that that disappoints me. I've never had much regard for the guy, but I figured that at least one Team would be stupid enough to drop $10 Mill for 3 or 4 Years on'm.

No way he's getting within a million miles of what Browner got, Bro.

I don't know how that affects the Comp Formula, though. I haven't a clue.

It does seem disappointing that the only running back who has gotten paid is Toby Gerhart. Blount will eventually sign but I think these running backs are waiting for any offer of substance to come along, there are still certainly teams that need RB's. I would think that if his price drops enough the Patriots would sign him to a cheap two year deal, but they don't seem to have a huge interest.

Thanks, Bro. :cool:

Inexplicable, this is.

1383899300_0.jpg

If the Patriots decline Revis' option, he will not be eligible for comp pick calculation.

I don't see why that would be, Miguel; the Pats did exactly that with Stallworth in the 2008 offseason, and got pick 97 in 2009.

I don't see why that would be, Miguel; the Pats did exactly that with Stallworth in the 2008 offseason, and got pick 97 in 2009.

Wasn't pick 97 in 2009 because of losing Asante Samuel after the 2007 season? Signed a 6 year, $56M deal which certainly would have been 3rd round level (and top of all the comp picks) at that time.

Wasn't pick 97 in 2009 because of losing Asante Samuel after the 2007 season? Signed a 6 year, $56M deal which certainly would have been 3rd round level (and top of all the comp picks) at that time.

Right church, wrong pew. :)

Stallworth was a 5th-round comp pick.

Just repeating what Tom Pelissero and Andrew Brandt tweeted. May have to do with the structure. Not sure. Will ask them for clarification.

Just repeating what Tom Pelissero and Andrew Brandt tweeted. May have to do with the structure. Not sure. Will ask them for clarification.

Andrew Brandt replied:
"Haven't seen it but, like Peyton Manning/Colts, options can kick in automatically if player not released prior to it. Thus, a cut,not a UFA."

Andrew Brandt replied:
"Haven't seen it but, like Peyton Manning/Colts, options can kick in automatically if player not released prior to it. Thus, a cut,not a UFA."

Such a mechanism would seem to conflict with the idea that there's language preventing them from using the franchise tag on him if they don't pick up the option.

Such a mechanism would seem to conflict with the idea that there's language preventing them from using the franchise tag on him if they don't pick up the option.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/statuses/444144503683698689
Not that it needs to be confirmed, but I double-checked and yes, Revis contract language prevents franchise tag.

Not sure how it conflicts. Revis' agent may want to be doubly-sure that a tag could not be applied.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back