PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comp Pick tracker for 2015

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/statuses/444144503683698689
Not that it needs to be confirmed, but I double-checked and yes, Revis contract language prevents franchise tag.

Not sure how it conflicts. Revis' agent may want to be doubly-sure that a tag could not be applied.

You can't tag a player if you release him prior to the end of the season. If the option is structured so that it automatically vests if he is still on the roster on day X of the new league year, rather than one that the Patriots have to affirmatively pay, then there is no point in having the franchise tag clause, since the team will either be forced to pay the money (which negates the possibility of franchising), or release Revis (which would render a franchise tag moot).

You can't tag a player if you release him prior to the end of the season. If the option is structured so that it automatically vests if he is still on the roster on day X of the new league year, rather than one that the Patriots have to affirmatively pay, then there is no point in having the franchise tag clause, since the team will either be forced to pay the money (which negates the possibility of franchising), or release Revis (which would render a franchise tag moot).

I understand all that from the beginning. My point is that Revis' agent may like to cover all bases.

Another reason why I think that Revis, if the option is not picked up, will not be part of the compensatory pick, is that there have been no reports what Revis' 2015 cap number would be if the Pats do not pick up the option and he is on the Patriots roster. Usually, there are reports.

Updated:

Patriots have lost the following qualifying free agents:

Aqib Talib
Dane Fletcher
LaGarette Blount
Brandon Spikes

The Patriots have signed the following qualifying free agents:

Brandon Browner
Brandon LaFell

I'm projecting that Spikes matches against Browner, and LaFell matches against either Blount or Fletcher.

If this is the case, the Patriots have a net loss of Talib plus (Fletcher or Blount). That works out to be a 3rd and a 7th as comp picks in 2015.

Updated:

Patriots have lost the following qualifying free agents:

Aqib Talib
Dane Fletcher
LaGarette Blount
Brandon Spikes

The Patriots have signed the following qualifying free agents:

Brandon Browner
Brandon LaFell

I'm projecting that Spikes matches against Browner, and LaFell matches against either Blount or Fletcher.

If this is the case, the Patriots have a net loss of Talib plus (Fletcher or Blount). That works out to be a 3rd and a 7th as comp picks in 2015.

Just as a clarification, based on the Welker comp pick, the rule appears to be as follows:

For each UFA gained, cancel out the closest UFA lost whose value is less than or equal to the value of the new UFA. Do not cancel out a UFA with a higher value unless there is no other alternative, and then cancel out the closest one.

Just as a clarification, based on the Welker comp pick, the rule appears to be as follows:

Browner matches to Spikes

Lafell matches to Blount

Looks like my dream is over. Overthecap.com says Matthew Mulligan's contract is for the veteran's minimum of $730,000. So he likely won't count in as a qualifying free agent since his contact is so low.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back