PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collins getting some buzz as a DPOY candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Who Will Win NFL Defensive Player of the Year 2016? | Bleacher Report

Yeah yeah, I get Simms is in this video and that will likely be all that anyone cares about, but I'm just psyched that people are finally unable to overlook this guy any longer.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but I think there are obvious benefits to him remaining a bit under the radar for one more year. The concern is that we may not match the types of offers that he'll almost certainly receive on the open market, although his strong play may result in a deep playoff run.

I hear what you're saying, but I think there are obvious benefits to him remaining a bit under the radar for one more year. The concern is that we may not match the types of offers that he'll almost certainly receive on the open market, although his strong play may result in a deep playoff run.
So let's sign him now, that's just my take anyways.

So let's sign him now, that's just my take anyways.

In the case of contract negotiations, I'm always wondering if there may be some desire from one or even both parties in terms of waiting to develop a larger sample size, but that's just a guess. For example, if the Pats are offering 10m dollars a season, Collins could theoretically shortchange himself by taking that offer right now. With another strong season, he may be able to bump it up another 15-20 percent in AAV, with even more guaranteed money.

I also think that the team is somewhat player friendly in terms of allowing guys to hit free agency in an attempt to develop proper market value. As we know, that can backfire, just as well. Sometimes they choose to match another offer, while other times they do not. As you mentioned, an ideal situation would be to try and lock him up now, based on his first 3 years of production and progression. For all we know, they may have been trying to do that for awhile now, with Collins' agent playing hardball.

How could he be a DPOY candidate before the season is even played? :confused:

You have a valid question, although I'd imagine that it's the same as anyone, meaning he's in the mix based on his overall NFL career and fact that he's continuing to show progression. At the end of the day though, there are likely one/a handful of DPOY candidates on all 32 teams.

More importantly, Chris Simms is the one doing the predicting, so while he's high on Collins, he likely has Brady as one of the bottom QBs in the entire league.

He is a rare physical specimen, great against the run and blitzing, but i want to see him improve in his covering skill before putting the guy in a pedestal (Read: THE best linebacker in the game)
I have not forgotten how he was directly responsible for the 2 Broncos TD's. He was completely burned by Owen Daniels twice

http://m.bleacherreport.com/nfl

Yeah yeah, I get Simms is in this video and that will likely be all that anyone cares about, but I'm just psyched that people are finally unable to overlook this guy any longer.

Edit: son of a **** the link is messing up, won't let me load it.
I'm missing something. the link sends me to a James Harrison story. are we talking about collins or what?

I'm missing something. the link sends me to a James Harrison story. are we talking about collins or what?
What happened was every time I tried to send a link to the specific article, it kept showing up as an error video. So I just said screw it and linked the NFL page, and the article should be on that page somewhere.

collins wasn't included in the nfl network top 100

no idea how
Oh I was outraged. Go figure the only defensive player they voted on from our team just left, and was somewhere in the 40's ranked. Seems a little fishy to me.

Chandler was great for us last year, but I don't think he's better than Collins by any means.:cool:

i doubt its for lack of effort from the pats, hes looking at the money guys got this offseason though and wants to get a max deal

Oh I'm sure that can be the case, and cant blame the man.

How could he be a DPOY candidate before the season is even played? :confused:
Because he's freaking good and was on his way for serious consideration until he became sick.

Someone can be a candidate for anything if the are under consideration. It doesn't mean they'll win.

"Bleacher Report" et al have to keep up the interest in their site with "click and bait" articles..

Have no doubt that Collins could be worthy of this honor, but prefer to wait and see until the season progresses...

Because he's freaking good and was on his way for serious consideration until he became sick.
That was last year.

Someone can be a candidate for anything if the are under consideration. It doesn't mean they'll win.
Only performance qualifies someone as "a candidate under consideration" and nobody has performed yet. Right now, all NFL defensive players are candidates until performances meriting consideration for the honor can be compared.

I don't doubt that Collins is potentially capable of becoming DPOY this coming season or thereafter, but to call him a candidate for it this year -- before the season is played -- is silly.

That was last year.

Only performance qualifies someone as "a candidate under consideration" and nobody has performed yet. Right now, all NFL defensive players are candidates until performances meriting consideration for the honor can be compared.

I don't doubt that Collins is potentially capable of becoming DPOY this coming season or thereafter, but to call him a candidate for it this year -- before the season is played -- is silly.
We disagree. He is a consensus top 5 LB and if he plays a full season will have crazy numbers.

Maybe the right context is that he is projected as a spot candidate?

We disagree. He is a consensus top 5 LB and if he plays a full season will have crazy numbers.

Maybe the right context is that he is projected as a spot candidate?
This probably just boils down to semantics. Is he a top player to watch with DPOY potential? Of course. But he shouldn't be considered a "candidate" until after the season is played. He could get hurt, have a subpar year, or 10 other guys could put in superior performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News