PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Rotoworld: Jamie Collins could be a hold out candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all thanks

Secondly, I have seen many times in reports and other such guff written that Hightower is someone that may rotate out. Maybe there is a stat to back that up via how many snaps he plays.

Both Collins and Hightower played 12 regular season and 2 Playoff games in 2015, with Collins playing 24% more snaps or 184 more snaps.

Total DEF Snaps 2015

J.Collins NE LB 778
D.Hightower NE LB 594
J.Mayo NE LB 395
J.Freeny NE LB 390
J.Bostic NE LB 231
D.Fleming NE LB 28
R.Johnson NE LB 13
D.Watson NE LB 3
D.Watson NE LB 1
E.Martin NE LB 0
E.Martin NE LB 0

EDIT - To add.. Lavonte David made 1090 DEF snaps in 2015 playing 16 regular season games. Yes, I realise the tangibles of different Ds on the field more, but this is a sizeable difference and to compare the players as that article does IMO is wrong.
Hightower played the second half of the season at far less than full health, as opposed to how Collins' illness knocked him out a few games but wasn't too much of a factor once he was back. Both of those players are 95%+ snap count guys if they're healthy.

If Collins isn't extended this off-season, I'M holding out.

The article is sheer speculation.

That being said, I would think that Collins would be one of the top candidates for an extension.

Good point but if my memory serves me Gronk and Ahern got a good deal less than what these two are in line for.

Gronk and Ahern got contracts that put them in the top 5 for their position..

From the CBA

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family

So, if Collins were to hold out then 2016 does not count as an accrued season so he will become an RFA, not an UFA season after the 2016 season. First round RFA tender should be around 3.9M in 2017. LB tag in 2017 should be around 13 million.

Great point, Miguel--although this certainly doesn't stop Collins from making things hard on the team by holding out in training camp and for the first 6-7 games of the season, should he want to.

He made the pro bowl this season and is scheduled to make less than 1 million dollars (approx.), right? I think anytime those 2 situations line up there's going to be some type of concern for a potential holdout. Hopefully, it never comes to that.

I would not blame him for trying.......given the lack of concern on the part of ownership when it comes to player safety and injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back