PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Rotoworld: Jamie Collins could be a hold out candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the last true holdout we had? Deion Branch?
I feel like BB gets it done in time (unless he feels the player is not worth it) before things get ugly.

Who is testy? It's a crap article and I'm clowning around. If he holds out it will be on the advice of agent, family and hangers on.
It would be good advice. That said, I expect the Pats to get a deal done with him this offseason. He's the best LB Belichick has had since Bruschi, and with more raw athleticism. Collins still hasn't reached his peak yet either, IMO.

Oh okay, so you just don't like the idea of him holding out and that's why you're testy. Got it. I know if I'm one of the better LB's in the NFL (some say the best and he hasn't realized his full potential yet), a sport and a position with a high likelihood of injury, I would probably not want to play for less than a back-up. Chances are Collins will see this "article" too and, if he hasn't already been thinking it, will certainly think about it now. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if he does end up holding out for a better pay day. And I can't say that I would blame him either. Hightower too, for that matter.

I think what people are tired of is the pot stirring, it never ends and never will end as it gets the desired result. However I can't remember the last time a Patriot held out and I can't see it happening here either as they are in very good cap shape and Belichick knows player value as well or better than anyone. I think they will offer Collins a market value deal and the question is whether he wants 50 million or thinks he can get 70-80 on an open market, in which case holding it won't do him any good because they will just wait him out, they aren't going to do a deal at gun point.

*Apparently Branch was the last hold out, but that was 9 years ago.

Last edited:
It would be good advice. That said, I expect the Pats to get a deal done with him this offseason. He's the best LB Belichick has had since Bruschi, and with more raw athleticism. Collins still hasn't reached his peak yet either, IMO.

Collins is a freak athlete but imo Hightower is their best LB right now, however Collins upside is as great as any player I can remember them drafting.

Slow day I guess, wouldn't hold it against anyone to be honest if they did hold out. You can only play the game for so long, get the money when you can. Although Revis doing it like 2-3 times is a bit excessive and a player doing it when money was front loaded is a different story as well. But, for a rookie contract guy I don't really have a problem with that.

I feel like BB gets it done in time (unless he feels the player is not worth it) before things get ugly.
Didn't Mankins hold out in 2010?

Collins is a freak athlete but imo Hightower is their best LB right now, however Collins upside is as great as any player I can remember them drafting.
Probably the most incredible athlete I've seen in the NFL, I'd probably say only LeBron is a more impressive athlete without putting too much thought into it. Patrick Willis had some killer speed too but, I don't think he had the hops Collins does.

No question they are both great players but I also see Hightower as the more valuable of the two. While Collins is better in space, Hightower does more things well and is a tackling machine, more so than Collins.

Last edited:
isn't David more seen as an every down LB whereas Hightower maybe classed more as a 2 down LB.

What does the snap count say regarding Hightower when fit?.

Didn't Mankins hold out in 2010?

I didn't think it ever got to actual hold out, I thought the lockout intervened and they kissed and made up after it. I could be wrong about that though.

I disagree with anyone that believes Collin's value is less than Hightower. Collin's is the attack piece BB hasn't had on this roster since Willie McGinest and the one player that comes closest to the ultimate defensive difference maker, LT.....a BB toy.
NE may not price him above Hightower but I think 31 other teams would happily break the bank for this guy.

Slow day I guess, wouldn't hold it against anyone to be honest if they did hold out. You can only play the game for so long, get the money when you can. Although Revis doing it like 2-3 times is a bit excessive and a player doing it when money was front loaded is a different story as well. But, for a rookie contract guy I don't really have a problem with that.

I think everyone here wants them to get these deals done sooner than later, and from what I can tell most want them to re-sign their own over big money free agents.

I think what people are tired of is the pot stirring, it never ends and never will end as it gets the desired result. However I can't remember the last time a Patriot held out and I can't see it happening here either as they are in very good cap shape and Belichick knows player value as well or better than anyone. I think they will offer Collins a market value deal and the question is whether he wants 50 million or thinks he can get 70-80 on an open market, in which case holding it won't do him any good because they will just wait him out, they aren't going to do a deal at gun point.

*Apparently Branch was the last hold out, but that was 9 years ago.

Mankins wasn't officially a holdout I guess since it involved the franchise tag, but he waited until week 10 to sign it which was the last possible day he could have or it wouldnt have counted as an accrued year

Mankins sat out half a year holding out.

isn't David more seen as an every down LB whereas Hightower maybe classed more as a 2 down LB.

What does the snap count say regarding Hightower when fit?.

Who the hell thinks Hightower is a 2 down LB? Whoever it is, is an absolute idiot.

is it possible to extend jones, collins, hightower, butler and sheard????????????

Mankins sat out half a year holding out.

JOM is right, Mankins wasn't under contract since he hadn't signed the tag. Technically not a hold out but it's understandable why people would see it that way.

Last edited:
is it possible to extend jones, collins, hightower, butler and sheard????????????
Yes but you would need to cut out some talent and look to fill in spots with rookies or free agents on low cost deals.
Its possible for sure will all of them be I cant see it.
I agree with previous posters who said if push comes to shove out of all those players Jones is the odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back