PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Rotoworld: Jamie Collins could be a hold out candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether the article is crap or not, it will behoove the Pats to get something done with Collins this off season. This can come in 2 flavors. One is the short term (2 year extention) deal that would be slightly under market value but would get. him back on the market while he's still in his prime. The second is something like the Davante David contract, long term at top money. Hightower is definitely going to get a top of the Market deal, and Jones' escapade will cost him some money but not a lot (relative to today's NFL)

Those are 3 big salaries the Pats are going to have to absorb and they are likely to lose only one (Mayo). Not only that, they are going to have to do something about Butler's pay. T hey won't have to pay him anything close to market value, but paying him $500 K, while less contributors are making millions is not sending the right message to the locker room. Extending him to $3-5MM over 3 years gives him some "real" money now, and gets him at least one shot at market value FA while he is still under 30, and he'd still be a bargain at that price.

Yes but you would need to cut out some talent and look to fill in spots with rookies or free agents on low cost deals.
Its possible for sure will all of them be I cant see it.
I agree with previous posters who said if push comes to shove out of all those players Jones is the odd man out.

I don't see it costing them talent at all, releasing Mayo and Chandler alone gets them to 16 million under and new deals for Hightower and Jones would save them money initially and get them 20 million under , so even if it cost them 10 million against the cap next season to sign Collins and Butler they would still have plenty of room under the cap. Now they would still have to pay those bills down the line but the cap is going up and there would be other deals coming off the books in years to come. Imo the strongest likelihood is they get deals with Hightower and Collins done, put Butler off for a year, and go to the wire on Jones.

That very well cpuld happen.
I have to think Bill will aggressively look to improve the offense which sputtered a few times this season.
A bell cow back who can pick up yardage on his own has to be at the top of the wishlist.

Whether draft or free agency free agent wise I like Ivory.

That very well cpuld happen.
I have to think Bill will aggressively look to improve the offense which sputtered a few times this season.
A bell cow back who can pick up yardage on his own has to be at the top of the wishlist.

Whether draft or free agency free agent wise I like Ivory.

I think a to RB is the best way to remedy their OL problems. Sign one of the to RBs on the market, get a 2nd TE and draft OT and WR.

I would try to go with Forte and Dwayne Allen.

Fortes age concerns me what about the possibility the Saints move on from Spiller

Fortes age concerns me what about the possibility the Saints move on from Spiller

I think Forte is a much better back than Spiller but he has been constricted by playing for the Bears both in the fact that they were always trying to keep their receivers happy and they were usually playing from behind. The Patriots can get at least two high quality seasons out of him and he's as good an all around back as you could ever get for the money he will get. I love him in this offense and think he would do more to fix their OL issues than a lineman ever could. The best thing you could do for the OL is run the ball much more frequently and keep defense's honest. That allows the OL to dish out the hits instead of taking them all day and forces defense's not only to play more honestly against the run in terms of frequency but also have to play the width of the field as he can get outside running the ball and is extremely dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield. He would also provide some redundancy in case Lewis didn't rebound as hoped or was injured again.

Forte just turned 30 and Spiller will be 29 before the season starts, not much difference imo, and Forte is a much better player.

FTR- Corey Dillon was 30 when the Patriots traded a second round pick for him. I think Forte would be a similar move without the character questions and the cost of a second round pick.

Last edited:
It distorts the significance of the 6 section article, but to be correct, Curran does say "holdout potential." Nothing more than speculation about a bunch of Pats, not just Collins.

I just think Patriot fans have become hypersensitive to anything critical or that tries to stir the pot. And given the amount of bias against the team and the muckraking that has taken place I can understand why.

Who the hell thinks Hightower is a 2 down LB? Whoever it is, is an absolute idiot.

First of all thanks

Secondly, I have seen many times in reports and other such guff written that Hightower is someone that may rotate out. Maybe there is a stat to back that up via how many snaps he plays.

Both Collins and Hightower played 12 regular season and 2 Playoff games in 2015, with Collins playing 24% more snaps or 184 more snaps.

Total DEF Snaps 2015

J.Collins NE LB 778
D.Hightower NE LB 594
J.Mayo NE LB 395
J.Freeny NE LB 390
J.Bostic NE LB 231
D.Fleming NE LB 28
R.Johnson NE LB 13
D.Watson NE LB 3
D.Watson NE LB 1
E.Martin NE LB 0
E.Martin NE LB 0

EDIT - To add.. Lavonte David made 1090 DEF snaps in 2015 playing 16 regular season games. Yes, I realise the tangibles of different Ds on the field more, but this is a sizeable difference and to compare the players as that article does IMO is wrong.

Last edited:
From the CBA

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family

So, if Collins were to hold out then 2016 does not count as an accrued season so he will become an RFA, not an UFA season after the 2016 season. First round RFA tender should be around 3.9M in 2017. LB tag in 2017 should be around 13 million.

I just think Patriot fans have become hypersensitive to anything critical or that tries to stir the pot. And given the amount of bias against the team and the muckraking that has taken place I can understand why.

Yeah, but Roto world is great for originating almost nothing, then taking things out of context and adding sensational headlines. The Curran piece has six sections and covers probably a dozen players.

Anything on Rotoworld, find the link and read the real article.

I think Hightower should be getting a similar deal to Pernell McPhee did last off season from Chicgo in Free Agency

five-year, $38.75 million contract.
$15.5 million guaranteed including a $2.5 million signing bonus.
McPhee is eligible for an annual $175,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life.
2016: $7 million,
2017: $6.95 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus),
2018: $7.2 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus),
2019: $7.625 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus), 2020:
Free Agent

Complete and utterly baseless
That's Rotoworld's MO. Once it was a great resource that has sadly degenerated into a garbage TMZ-like sports website. To make things worse, their columns are horrendously bad.

Google

Remember back in 2010 when Brees, Manning, and Brady were all due for new contracts? If memory serves, Brady was actually the first of the three to get a new deal done. . . .
Yes i think that was the off season of "a growing disconnect" between Brady & the Pats as reported by ol' friend Michael silver....

I think Hightower should be getting a similar deal to Pernell McPhee did last off season from Chicgo in Free Agency

five-year, $38.75 million contract.
$15.5 million guaranteed including a $2.5 million signing bonus.
McPhee is eligible for an annual $175,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life.
2016: $7 million,
2017: $6.95 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus),
2018: $7.2 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus),
2019: $7.625 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus), 2020:
Free Agent

So, Hightower is going to get the same or less than what Mayo got--years ago?

Yeah, I think you're undervaluing the market quite a bit. Just my opinion. Brian Cushing is making about 9m dollars a year, if that tells you anything.

I think we can compare HT to guys such as Timmons, not "Pernell McPhee."

Inside Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots