PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Rotoworld: Jamie Collins could be a hold out candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld:

CSN New England suggests WLB Jamie Collins could be a holdout candidate if the Patriots don't address his contract this offseason.
New England has some big decisions to make in the near future with Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower and Collins all coming off the books in 2017. If Collins doesn't sign an extension, he'll earn just $917,865 next season. That's less than backup linebacker Jonathan Freeny and underachieving tackle Marcus Cannon. If the Pats do extend Collins, he could be looking at a deal similar to the four-year, $33.75 million pact Lions LB DeAndre Levy signed last offseason.

CSN New England believes Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower will command at least as much as Buccaneers LB Lavonte David when he signs his next contract.
The Bucs signed David to a five-year, $50 million pact with $22.5 million guaranteed last offseason. That seems like a reasonable blueprint for the Pats to use in negotiations with Hightower. While the Patriots could look to extend his contract this offseason, the belief is that Hightower is a "smart businessman who’ll understand his value both in Foxboro or, if it comes to pass, elsewhere." Hightower earned PFF's fifth-highest 4-3 outside linebacker grade out of 35 qualifiers in 2015.

CSN New England suggests the Patriots could look to extend RE Chandler Jones' contract this offseason.
Jones is entering the last year of his rookie contract and New England will have a chance to lower his cap number for next season by signing him to a long-term deal. Jones has had a comparable career to Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan, who landed a five-year, $55 million extension last offseason. Jones may have lost some of his leverage in negotiations following a strange off-field incident involving synthetic marijuana.

I think it's a common sentiment around these parts, but Collins and Hightower are certainly the priorities... I think an interesting question is who's worth more to the defense between the two? I would say Hightower.

Whether Collins would hold out if not signed this season, I don't know. I feel like that's unlikely since I don't think it would really get him much leverage around here. I also don't see where/how they're getting this info or arriving to this conclusion.

Just like Brady was going to hold out, right?

Every time a key Patriot is due a new contract "LOL HOLD OUT, PATRIOTS SCREWED!" articles appear. Baseless, clickbait nonsense.

This doesn't sound like news at all, pure speculation. In fact, one could say anyone on the roster could be a holdout candidate next season and be right.

That said If I were him I wouldn't want to play a second season as a starter and earn back up money either. It goes beyond just being a team player. There's a lot of risk involved when your starting every game and playing the majority of the snaps. For that reason it wouldn't surprise me if Collins actully does try to force a new deal if the pats don't address his situation in the off season.

I think it's a common sentiment around these parts, but Collins and Hightower are certainly the priorities... I think an interesting question is who's worth more to the defense between the two? I would say Hightower.

Whether Collins would hold out if not signed this season, I don't know. I feel like that's unlikely since I don't think it would really get him much leverage around here. I also don't see where/how they're getting this info or arriving to this conclusion.
Agree. I can't remember the last time Belichick paid top money to two guys at the same position. In this case, if they decide not to pay them $10 mil apiece, Hightower is the one who stays. Just my opinion.

Totally doubt it. That said, I for one would be quite happy if Collins (and HT) never get a glimmer of free agency.

Baseless or not, the seed may be planted now.

And just remember, you brought up planting a seed...

Anything is possible in the world of "may."

Agree. I can't remember the last time Belichick paid top money to two guys at the same position. In this case, if they decide not to pay them $10 mil apiece, Hightower is the one who stays. Just my opinion.

The DL was pretty expensive in the Seymour era, although BB eventually thinned that out, literally and figuratively alike.

CSNNE doesn't say anything and Rotoworld says even less.

Rotoworld just links articles and adds sensational headlines. I suggest if you want to use the 95% of Rotoworld that is recycled, you click their link and see where it leads.

This article is called 5 business decisions of the Patriots. It is not even about Collins particulary. It is 100% speculation and your paraphrase is wrong or out of context.

Curran speculates on every cut/extend salary decision.

Top 5 business decisions confronting Patriots

Just like Brady was going to hold out, right?

Every time a key Patriot is due a new contract "LOL HOLD OUT, PATRIOTS SCREWED!" articles appear. Baseless, clickbait nonsense.

Google

Remember back in 2010 when Brees, Manning, and Brady were all due for new contracts? If memory serves, Brady was actually the first of the three to get a new deal done. . . .

And just remember, you brought up planting a seed...

Anything is possible in the world of "may."

Oh okay, so you just don't like the idea of him holding out and that's why you're testy. Got it. I know if I'm one of the better LB's in the NFL (some say the best and he hasn't realized his full potential yet), a sport and a position with a high likelihood of injury, I would probably not want to play for less than a back-up. Chances are Collins will see this "article" too and, if he hasn't already been thinking it, will certainly think about it now. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if he does end up holding out for a better pay day. And I can't say that I would blame him either. Hightower too, for that matter.

Gronk and You-Know-Who both got extended at about the same time
Good point but if my memory serves me Gronk and Ahern got a good deal less than what these two are in line for.

Oh okay, so you just don't like the idea of him holding out and that's why you're testy. Got it. I know if I'm one of the better LB's in the NFL (some say the best and he hasn't realized his full potential yet), a sport and a position with a high likelihood of injury, I would probably not want to play for less than a back-up. Chances are Collins will see this "article" too and, if he hasn't already been thinking it, will certainly think about it now. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if he does end up holding out for a better pay day. And I can't say that I would blame him either. Hightower too, for that matter.
Who is testy? It's a crap article and I'm clowning around. If he holds out it will be on the advice of agent, family and hangers on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back