PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cole Strange - a nice breakdown

I think a lot of people didn’t like *where* he was picked. But when you get an impact player in the first round, you have him for that fifth year option. It’s a good pick. If he improves, a great pick. We’re pretty good at scouting OL, so I didn’t have a problem with it.

I truly don’t remember. Did we hate the “value” of the Logan Mankins pick at the time this much or is this new?

I truly don’t remember. Did we hate the “value” of the Logan Mankins pick at the time this much or is this new?
Nah we were neck-deep in coolaid back then.

I wasn't a member of this forum at the time Mankins was drafted, but if I had a chunk of change sitting next to me, I would be willing to bet nearly all of it that there was a non-insignificant, vocal crowd, who very much disliked the Mankins pick. I'm sure the same things we heard earlier this year would be easy to find back then, too.

"a f*cking GUARD in the 1st round ... are you kidding me?!"

Pretty close, a lot of people felt it was a reach at the time.

Best offensive lineman rookie so far

Yeah, coming off 3 SB wins in 4 years, and Brady/Bill were 9-0 in the playoffs at that point. I think they could have taken a long snapper at 32 that year and we would have been like, "Well, why not!"

Yeah, about the same. Vollmer was another one that was picked apart, but he was a tackle all the way.

IIRC, another team was planning to take Strange after the Pats selection. BB has a network of moles throughout the NFL. Without question, BB knows how to pick OL and DB. Sometime during the games focus on Strange.

Wynn was the K Harry of the OL. It happens.

Best offensive lineman rookie so far
Either him or Linderbaum. I'd probably lean TB but they've both been really really good save for a few moments. Two of the more athletic OL'm to come in, in a while.

Cole Strange may have had ups and downs over the year, but I look forward to his development, and I envy his summer project (eating nothing but fatty cheeseburgers). Given some of the athletic exploits (like chasing down CBs from behind) he's only going to improve by adding strength and weight.

Recently I read reviews criticizing the pick by mentioning several players picked EARLIER than him. Presumably, the criticism is about the trade down. Well, if you're going to do that, then you're not really comparing Devin Lloyd to Cole Strange, but instead to Strange, Jack Jones, Bailey Zappe and Carolina's 3rd rounder this year.

The only player taken after him that really stands out as a decent value in the bottom of the first round is Karlaftis. If Strange develops into the guy we think he's going to be, he'll likely be the best player taken compared to the guys that went right after him.

Cole Strange may have had ups and downs over the year, but I look forward to his development, and I envy his summer project (eating nothing but fatty cheeseburgers). Given some of the athletic exploits (like chasing down CBs from behind) he's only going to improve by adding strength and weight.

Recently I read reviews criticizing the pick by mentioning several players picked EARLIER than him. Presumably, the criticism is about the trade down. Well, if you're going to do that, then you're not really comparing Devin Lloyd to Cole Strange, but instead to Strange, Jack Jones, Bailey Zappe and Carolina's 3rd rounder this year.

The only player taken after him that really stands out as a decent value in the bottom of the first round is Karlaftis. If Strange develops into the guy we think he's going to be, he'll likely be the best player taken compared to the guys that went right after him.
The good news is that he knows what he needs to do, like everyone has said from the start.

For a Rookie Cole Strange played ok really hope he bulks up some in the offseason he looked a little light in the pants.

Maybe some expected more for such a high pick or an over reach. I would say that despite some of his errors he definitely deserves another season to prove he was worth it.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back