PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, thanks. Denver's ST were crap this year but O'Brien has a strong reputation and I have no idea what Shanahan's philosophy is in playing starters, etc, on ST.

Yeah, you have to wonder if it's a case of best available, or if this guy was suffering from craphole environmentitis.

Looks like he had a little different role with Saban in Miami - I guess I'm behind thinking he was with Carolina. This is what PFT said when it looked like O'Brien was going to Cleveland recently :

"He spent the next six years in Carolina as the special teams coach, and then spent two seasons in Miami with Nick Saban as “coordinator of football operations/assistant to the head coach.”

Though his official duties might have included stocking Saban’s office with Little Debbie cakes, folks with the Dolphins at the time suspected that O’Brien also was Saban’s extra set of eyes and ears."

Looks like he had a little different role with Saban in Miami - I guess I'm behind thinking he was with Carolina. This is what PFT said when it looked like O'Brien was going to Cleveland recently :

"He spent the next six years in Carolina as the special teams coach, and then spent two seasons in Miami with Nick Saban as “coordinator of football operations/assistant to the head coach.”

Though his official duties might have included stocking Saban’s office with Little Debbie cakes, folks with the Dolphins at the time suspected that O’Brien also was Saban’s extra set of eyes and ears."

Here's his most recent bio: DenverBroncos.com – Official Website Of The Denver Broncos

Ah, thanks. Denver's ST were crap this year but O'Brien has a strong reputation and I have no idea what Shanahan's philosophy is in playing starters, etc, on ST.

Denver's ST had a lot of injuries this year.

Between Dante and O'Brien, I don't think we have to worry about having quality coaching of Special Teams.
---------------
I expect an addition on the offensive side, even if it isn't an OC. In any case, I have no concerns. We are fine on offense with Brady, Dante and the assistant coaches. I would like to see a QB coach or a veteran QB so that Brady has someone with which to discuss play calls.
---------------
The bigger questions are on Defense. Many of us would like to see Pees replaced. In anyccase, we will need to replace Capers. I do miss Crennel's schemes.

"As the Ravens’ special teams coach from 1996-98, O’Brien led a unit that ranked second in the NFL with six special-teams return scores during that time, including four on punt returns to tie for the league lead. Baltimore had the league’s fourth-best punt return average (11.9 yds.) in those three seasons and sent two players to the Pro Bowl. Wide receiver Jermaine Lewis tied for the NFL lead with two punt returns for touchdowns and ranked fifth in the league with a 12.7-yard punt return average in 1998 to earn Pro Bowl honors while safety Bennie Thompson also earned all-star recognition that year for his special-teams coverage ability."

The more I read about O'B the more I like! JMHO but I'm rather looking forward to seeing how all these changes will work out for our boys:).

EDIT: There's that Punter thing again ;)

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Belichick strongly values STs. Not every coach is willing to allow his starters to play major roles on special teams, but Belichick is. Some use it primarily as a way to give up and comers a chance to find a role and make the squad.

I don;t know what Shanahan's approach was but its possible a different approach ST, as well as injuries, could account for an issue with Denvers ST performance.

Last edited:
We've got a piece on all the personnel moves thus far this offseason for the Patriots:

Analyzing The Foxboro Carousel

Thanks!

Thanks, good read.

The news below could potentially help fill some holes on the Pats coaching staff, the Rams were dissapointing but they do have some quality coaching candidates.

ProFootballTalk.com - RAMS ADVISE COACHING STAFF THAT THEY WON’T BE RETURNING
Technically, interim head coach Jim Haslett and the rest of his staff with the St. Louis Rams weren’t fired, because their contracts had expired after the 2008 season.

Then again, that’s what the Colts told special teams coordinator Russ Purnell.

We’ve confirmed that, indeed, the entire staff in St. Louis has been told that they won’t be returning.

Jim Haslett:
The official site of the St. Louis Rams - Coaches
Was DC for Steelers 1997-1999.

Rick Venturi:
From 1994-95, Venturi worked under Bill Belichick with the Cleveland Browns, first as secondary coach in 1994 and as defensive coordinator/linebackers coach in 1995.

Ron Milus:
Milus came to the Rams after two seasons as secondary coach for the New York Giants. In his first season with the Giants in 2004, the club’s pass defense improved significantly, allowing 189.4 passing yards per game, eighth-best in the NFL.

Henry Ellard:

Al Saunders:

Last edited:
Steve Logan, former BC OC and East Carolina's all time winningest coach, is another good candidate. He developed three QBs: Jeff Blake, Marcus Crandell and David Garrard who all went on to pro careers. He also was a coach for Jimmy Johnson, a BB buddy, at one point. He's an option as a QB coach or OC, although I doubt they bring him in for the OC job.

Last edited:
Steve Logan, former BC OC and East Carolina's all time winningest coach, is another good candidate. He developed three QBs: Jeff Blake, Marcus Crandell and David Garrard who all went on to pro careers. He also was a coach for Jimmy Johnson, a BB buddy, at one point. He's an option as a QB coach or OC, although I doubt they bring him in for the OC job.

With all the coaches being interveiwed, Patriot's news in this

regard is very scarce. No official news of any kind which is

probably quite normal. Some day Belichick will announce his

new coaches all at the same time.

With all the coaches being interveiwed, Patriot's news in this

regard is very scarce. No official news of any kind which is

probably quite normal. Some day Belichick will announce his

new coaches all at the same time.

I can see BB promoting from within for the OC position and then promoting some of his quality control assistants to fill in as new position coaches.

Another option on defense could be Tim Lewis. His contract is expiring and he was DC for the Steelers 2000-2003 and Giants 2004-2006. He has been an excellent secondary coach in the league:
But it is the secondary where Lewis established his reputation, joining Pittsburgh as defensive backs coach in 1995. From 1995-99, the Steelers intercepted 95 passes, a total that ranked seventh in the NFL over that span, and finished in the top 10 in pass defense three times, including fourth in 1999. He held that position for five years until being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2000. In each of Lewis' four seasons as Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator, the defense ranked in the top 10 in the League.

The Steelers finished seventh in the NFL in Lewis' first season as defensive coordinator and climbed to first a year later in both total defense and rushing defense while standing fourth in passing defense. Pittsburgh ranked seventh in 2002 and led the League in rushing defense. In 2003, the Steelers rated ninth and allowed less than 300 yards per game for the second time in three years.

Panthers.com - Tim Lewis

Purely speculation on PFT's part of course, but interesting:
ProFootballTalk.com - SCHOTTENHEIMER STAYING WITH JETS ISN’T SURE THING

Brian Schottenheimer hasn’t decided whether he wants to remain the Jets’ offensive coordinator after he didn’t get promoted to head coach.....

Schefter reports that Schottenheimer is “curious about other opportunities.” There are six openings for offensive coordinators right now, including one in New England, which could lead to an interesting twist in a bitter rivalry between the Jets and Patriots.

Last edited:
Thanks, good read.

The news below could potentially help fill some holes on the Pats coaching staff, the Rams were dissapointing but they do have some quality coaching candidates.

ProFootballTalk.com - RAMS ADVISE COACHING STAFF THAT THEY WON’T BE RETURNING

Jim Haslett:
Was DC for Steelers 1997-1999.

Rick Venturi:

Ron Milus:

Henry Ellard:

Al Saunders:

Ellard to Jets:
ProFootballTalk.com - HENRY ELLARD JOINS REX RYAN’S STAFF?

Another option on defense could be Tim Lewis. His contract is expiring and he was DC for the Steelers 2000-2003 and Giants 2004-2006. He has been an excellent secondary coach in the league:

Panthers.com - Tim Lewis

Is there a connection between Lewis and BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST