PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching has been horrible down the stretch and stupid today

Your trying to change the subject change the subject by bringing in a completely different situation. Electing to kick in overtime and trying to gain 1 yard are not the same situation. Nice try though.

Now I'm still waiting for you to enlighten me why it's a better decision to drive the length of the field to score a touchdown against the defense that's ranked 1st against the pass and 3rd against the run rather than trying to gain 1 yard in your own red zone. Take your time, please.
Because you would have won the game.

Only if you subscribe to the idea that ultra-conservative, don't-lose-until-you-have-to-because-less-criticism is the only way to coach. He saw the way the game was going and moving the ball had been a struggle. He was trying to WIN the game. I don't begrudge him that. I never will. Many games NE has won because BB has a sack the size of Jupiter, but those decisions get glossed over and rolled into the record book without specific fanfare. When it doesn't work out people want to crucify him, I get it. Dude ain't scared of criticism or losing, it's a big reason he wins MORE THAN ANYONE EVER. Deal with it, or root for someone else.
The problem with this argument is that a TD ties at best. You still need to rely on the offense to drive down the field again for a win. The broncos only scored 3 in the second half, so why don't you trust them to make a stop. It was a one possession game with SIX minutes left. Too much time to play desperate

Your trying to change the subject change the subject by bringing in a completely different situation. Electing to kick in overtime and trying to gain 1 yard are not the same situation. Nice try though.

Now I'm still waiting for you to enlighten me why it's a better decision to drive the length of the field to score a touchdown against the defense that's ranked 1st against the pass and 3rd against the run rather than trying to gain 1 yard in your own red zone. Take your time, please.

it's not just scoring a td (which we did) it's also trying to score a 2 pt conversion on just one play in a congested area when running is almost certainly not an option and the D knows it.

nothing wrong with hindsight. If a guy goes into a house uninvited and gets shot, in hindsight, you can say he should not haven gone into said house.

you're thinking has flopped since the last time I talked with you. Interesting.

I dare you to show me one post where I argue against something using hindsight. Please..

My thinking about using hindsight in arguments about sports has always been the same. Its pointless because you will never know what would happen if you change ypur decision.

it's not just scoring a td (which we did) it's also trying to score a 2 pt conversion on just one play in a congested area when running is almost certainly not an option and the D knows it.
In that situation if we would've scored and missed the 2 pointer we would've had to drive and score a field goal to take the lead instead of driving to score a touch down.

Anyone who uses the term "Chicken Little" as an adult has bigger issues
Oh stop, you're not a psychologist. Just another chicken little response.

In that situation if we would've scored and missed the 2 pointer we would've had to drive and score a field goal to take the lead instead of driving to score a touch down.

you're ASSUMING that we would have scored a TD after converting on 4th down.

Elaborate.

8-3=5.... 5-7 = +2 Wow we win.

You are the one using very poorly constructed logic. They were at like the 11. Stop them after we miss 4 and 1... and yes we have them on the deep in their territory. But if we kick the FG (8-3=5) then Kick for touch back they are at 20. Not much different. Trust the D to stop them. They would still punt from deep. We might not get it at the 50 like we did but not at our 20.. We would have had 4 minutes roughly with 3 time outs and four downs every time. Yes they would have to execute like any other time but that is the fact right there.

This thread is off the rails! The staff sucked today. All the way back to the first series, 3rd and 10, off coverage. Really? Off coverage 3rd and 10. Biggest game of the year and you are worried about giving up a big play. Seriously, think of the mind set, off coverage there. How bout press and some balls and make the old man beat you. But no, f in off coverage. Bullshark call, first series. Allowing them to set the tone. We should have set the tone. The staff really suxed today!!!

I don't see going for three there was ultra conservative at all. The offense had started to move the ball a little. Taking the three and hoping for a three and out from a stagnet Denver offense was more than a hope, it was a likelihood at that stage of the game.
I don't disagree with that at all. I just think it's a lot easier to call that a likelihood knowing that Denver's offense didn't do anything else the rest of the game.

Hell maybe kicking the FG would force them to really try to do something else, and Manning would throw a pick. Maybe he'd throw another TD. Maybe they still go 3 & out and the Pats are playing for the win. I just think BB was trying to do the best thing he could do to win the game and giving TB and the offense a chance to tie it up.

I admit I may be wrong here and the better angels of his nature need to take over and make him more conservative there. My point is just that I've always been okay with his aggressive style because I think it's part of taking the bad with the good. If this was a 37-32 or 40-32 game and they'd been moving the ball solidly all game I think he may have chosen differently. I understand why they did what they did, and I don't refuse to understand it just because they lost.

your ASSUMING that we would have scored a TD after converting on 4th down.

It is more likely that we score from within their 10 than from our 10-20. Which is the entire point of the conversation here. We are talking about probabilities and the coaching staff thought that we had a better shot to gain a yard here than 80-90 yards later given how the game went so far.

Would we have scored later on ? No clue.. but that has no bearing on whether the call was reasonable or not.. because it happened later on you know.. and the future is not known ahead..

you're ASSUMING that we would have scored a TD after converting on 4th down.
I said if we scored. IF. And I was replying to the point that YOU brought up in the event that we scored and missed to two pointer. Christ man.

What a bunch of cry baby fans. It amazing that this team went as far as it did with all the injuries.

The Denver defense was just too much for the OL to handle, period. That was the game. Games are won or lost on the LOS, not the sideline. This is the same coaching staff that we had last year and you know what happened then with a better OL.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back