PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clayton said Culpepper talking to Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesnt make sense. Randy said he wants to play for a contender, but any team with a QB situation so bad that they would sign Culpepper and let him play cannot be a contender. Either Clayton is making this up, someone is giving him bad information, or Randy was never really as happy with the Pats as everyone was saying.

Last edited:
What happened to the "I love playing with Tom Brady" rap.

I guess that is over with.

It is getting very close to the "time to move on" state with Moss.

One more stupid quote and I think Patriots nation will have to move on.

Clayton could be lieing, we just don't fuggin know this all is sooo annoying. Thats stupid to me. In order for that to happen, they'd have to find a bad team with a bad QB situation who would do that. Is it worth bringing in C Pep for ONE receiver?

A rather insightful comment.

Personally, I am at the point where if half of this is true, I don't think we want him. If he can't find a team and the Pats have the best offer, doesn't that set "the market"?

Even with the best offer, does he sulk thinking he is worth more?

Actually, I am the point where we tell Cincy, " You ain't winning next year, eat the $8M cap, send us Ocho Cinco, take our second and a pick next year."

Johnson runs better routes and is more entertaining.

On the other hand, glad I never have to negotiate a business deal with these guys.

When thinking of possible teams this bizarre fantasy might work out in the following teams came to mind...

Bears
Vikings

And - that's it. Don't see any other team who'd actually sign both Daunte/Moss and still be able to contend for a Super Bowl.

Have no idea what the cap room for either of those teams is though.

Hell, why am I even discussing this. This is crazy. Maybe he's asking Daunte to compete for a backup roll here so he can have a front row seat to him breaking records every weeek. Yeah, I'll just go with that.

This is getting out of hand, its time crap or get off the pot with Moss.. I think this story from the Crypt Keeper, is just assinine..

And where did Clayton get this info from....

Unamed sources who told ESPN

If this was PFT posting this – that’s fine. There job is to post rumors from unnamed sources. Clayton is reporting this as fact.

Culpepper is a washed up quarterback. Why would Randy Moss listen to this tool? How many playoff games has Culpepper won?

Oh and speaking of PFT - Florio just posted about this...

MOSS AND DAUNTE, TOGETHER AGAIN?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

It’s now becoming increasingly obvious to us that, as it relates to free agency, receiver Randy Moss had no plan.

Why else would he be reaching out to quarterback Daunte Culpepper, a washed-up shell of what he once was, in the hopes of peddling themselves to a new team?

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, Moss reached out to Culpepper on Saturday night about the possibility of “finishing what they started” in Minnesota on a new team.

Clayton cautions not to interpret such a move as a “package deal.” But what the hell is it then?

If Moss is doing this only to persuade other teams that he’s truly willing to leave New England, then it’s sort of brilliant. We’re convinced that teams are leery of making Moss the kind of offer that might get his attention due to fears that he’d then turn around and use that proposal to leverage the Pats into putting more money on the table.

If, in contrast, Moss is doing it because he genuinely wants to go to a new team that would sign Culpepper and install him as the starting quarterback, it’s one of the stoopidest things we’ve ever heard.

Even if there’s a team that would be intrigued by adding Moss and using Culpepper as a backup, there’s too much of a risk that Randy would start lobbying for Culpepper to be the starter. So their options would be limited to a team that would be in a position to bench their current No. 1 quarterback and hand the job to a guy who hasn’t been the same since he knee was exploded in Charlotte more than two years ago.

A quick look at the list of the 32 teams reveals barely of teams that even could be interested in such a move. As we see it, the possibilities are Baltimore, Denver (hey, we don’t put anything past Coach Kevlar when it comes to free agency), Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Tampa, and St. Louis, where the head coach was the offensive coordinator the last time Moss and Culpepper were on the same team.

It’s amazing to us that a guy who put up 23 touchdown receptions in 2007 has to resort to such a desperate and misguided strategy in order to get the payday that, more than two days into free agency, simply isn’t there.

Oh and speaking of PFT - Florio just posted about this...

Which is why moss should end up back in New England, but if he is not, after reading the culpepper thing, then see ya... Im just pissed the Pats did not prepare for the loss of moss ,samual, and stallowrth.. If goes now, fine, but what is the plan...

Letting Stallworth go + not franchising led me to assume they thought they hade a fair deal in plan that would be accepted by both sides.

We'll see.

Which is why moss should end up back in New England, but if he is not, after reading the culpepper thing, then see ya... Im just pissed the Pats did not prepare for the loss of moss ,samual, and stallowrth.. If goes now, fine, but what is the plan...

How would you have prepared?

Clayton is a complete and utter moron. He really needs to go get the prescription in his glasses checked.

No doubt. Just look at some of Clayton's incorrect reports last year on the Giants:

* Said Brandon Jacobs wouldn't play earlier this year against the 49ers. He started. Gained 107 yards with a TD.

* Said ELI Manning would miss a month with a separated shoulder. He didn't miss a start all year.

I'm sure we could find enough incorrect reports from Clayton to fill a 50 post thread.

How would you have prepared?

Renegotiated with Stallworth, at least..

Maybee focus on samual if that was the case

or maybee franchise him, since he " is frustrated, the way things are going"

at least we would have had right of first refusal,but we worried about making him mad. Well that is not working out well.

What happened to the "I love playing with Tom Brady" rap.

I guess that is over with.

It is getting very close to the "time to move on" state with Moss.

One more stupid quote and I think Patriots nation will have to move on.
Based upon sports media rumors in the last 24 hours, it sounds like Randy Moss is more about the money than winning championships.

People, people, people.

After a year of spygate reporting, you are still falling for this "unnamed sources" crap?

The first rule is to always ask yourself who is the unnamed source and what is their motivation. In the case of this Culpepper/Moss "story", the obvious first option here is Culpepper's agent. What better way to dredge up a little "interest" in your washed-up client than to link him in a package deal with a wide receiver who just set the all-time NFL record for TDs in a season?

Moss certainly doesn't benefit. He might as well be pitching a package deal with Ryan Leaf.

Just relax. The Pats have almost certainly made Randy Moss a legititimate good-faith offer. Moss' phone is not ringing off the hook with calls from other teams. Ya'll would be horrible poker players.

just on espn, he said Culpepper was talking to Moss about joining up somewhere on the same team together. What a tool Culpepper is.

i bet part of these "rumors" are coming from moss's agent trying to put more pressure on the pats to step up and make him the #1 paid WR. don't forget it's not just moss here, the agent gets a fixed % of whatever he gets. and he doesnt care a rat's butt about teams, cities, rings, etc etc .... just wants the benjamins

Renegotiated with Stallworth, at least..

at least we would have had right of first refusal,but we worried about making him mad. Well that is not working out well.
Lance Briggs found out the hard way that there wasn't a huge market for weak side linebackers.

If Randy Moss is playing chicken with the New England Patriots organization, he may be in for a rude awakening when it comes to other offers in the free market.

Renegotiated with Stallworth, at least.
Based on his playing time the second half of the season, do you think they wanted him back for more than $2M a year or so ? I don't.

The Patriots aren't going to overpay Samuel just because they might lose Moss.

So you think being Franchised would frustrate Moss less ?

i bet part of these "rumors" are coming from moss's agent trying to put more pressure on the pats to step up and make him the #1 paid WR.

I'm not so sure about that. Moss' agent Tim Dipiero was pretty quiet last year when Oakland was trying to trade him and has remained quiet thus far.

He's no Alonzo Shavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes