PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harris shoulder injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect Talib any moment injuring himself during a big game.

The really frustrating thing about Talib is that he WON'T get injured. Played great for the Pats two straight seasons, and in two straight AFCCGs he gets hurt and knocked out of the game, and in both cases his injury has a huge impact on the Pats' losing. This year he'll undoubtedly make it through the game unscathed.

That was jimmy Graham though. Gronk is a whole lot more physical. If they match up talib with gronk he will be on the sideline by the second quarter.

Likely they match up ward on gronk. And gronk has destroyed him.

If talib is on lafell all game thats a big win for the pats because lafell hasnt done much all season really

I'm worried that Ward will injure a key Pats' player. Because that's what he does.

If I were Denver I'd match Talib on Gronk.. Talib played some really good TEs tough when he was a patriot.

That doesn't solve the Edelman problem for them.

I agree 100%, but i don't see Phillips doing that, I think he'll keep Talib on one side of the ball probably mainly covering Lafell (Edelman is a bad matchup for him)

I pray Wade Phillips places talib on gronk all game...that would all but guarantee talib would not finish the game.

If you watched that game you saw some Pittsburgh WR's get wide open separation on plays. Edelman could have a field day with it next Sunday.

omar bolden also seriously injured his knee

thats a big blow to their special teams which actually gave them their first score.

If I were Denver I'd match Talib on Gronk.. Talib played some really good TEs tough when he was a patriot.

That doesn't solve the Edelman problem for them.

GRONK is a bigger problem (literally) than those "really good TEs."

Whomever they put on LaFell will open up the passing game big time for Edelman, Amendola and James White. Which is kinda funny considering LaFell isnt the threat he used to be. Kind of a decoy now.

I know, incredibly frustrating that Talib has been so durable (not that I would wish injury on Talib (necessarily ;)), but just note that he was pretty fragile during his tenure with us....). Maybe we can send LaFell on a suicide missile crossing pattern, a la Welker.

i actually think Talib would be a good match-up for Denver for Gronk -- Talib is physical, long, and has the speed to cover Gronk.

Last edited:
He only did that in NE. He has been an iron man in Denver.
Although to be fair, he was pretty awful in the Broncos' elimination game last season. He has been a key factor in his teams' last three playoff losses, two by injury and one by performance.

If you watched that game you saw some Pittsburgh WR's get wide open separation on plays. Edelman could have a field day with it next Sunday.

Yeah, but I think that Denver's corners played that far off because they had to respect the pure speed of Pittsburgh's receivers to get downfield, coupled with Ben's ability to get the ball downfield. That is, if you miss the press at the line of scrimmage against some of Pittsburgh's receivers, they are gone down the field, and you had a quarterback that can consistently hit the deep ball.

It's the exact opposite with the Patriots' receivers: we have no pure speedsters and the corners will not be afraid of any Patriots receivers blasting past them if they miss the bump at the line, nor is Brady's deep downfield ball a terrible concern. Obviously, it's the quickness of Edelman that they will be concerned with, and he is a different kind of problem that is hard to solve (and is Gronk).

As a result, I would expect a very different coverage style from the Denver corners than what we saw with Pittsburgh: I would expect a lot more man, a lot more press coverage and disruption at the line because (1) that will disrupt the 2-second Brady releases and the short passing game, and give the Denver pass rush a bit more time, and (2) the corners will be less worried about receivers speeding past them if they play tight man.

Again, that highlights the one core deficiency of our receiver set: the absence of a credible downfield threat to keep the coverage from crowding the short/middle routes in the way that teams like the Jets were able to do. I still wish we could have grabbed Emmanuel Sanders with a better tender: I think he would be spectacular in our offense.

Perhaps Amendola can give Talib the same kind of clean hit that Welker did in the Pats vs Denver game.

I'm worried that Ward will injure a key Pats' player. Because that's what he does.

Make no mistake about it, Ward knows exactly which knee Gronk had injured by one of his protegees in the last Pats vs Broncos game and will be gunning for it the entire time on Sunday.... because hes a f***ing scumbag that tries to take players out with dirty/cheap hits and has his entire career

Kayvon Webster is the next man up, right? He played 69 snaps this season, and if he's the full time slot CB in this game then that has to make him a candidate for the "Rashaan Melvin 200 yards allowed" award.

Yeah, but I think that Denver's corners played that far off because they had to respect the pure speed of Pittsburgh's receivers to get downfield, coupled with Ben's ability to get the ball downfield. That is, if you miss the press at the line of scrimmage against some of Pittsburgh's receivers, they are gone down the field, and you had a quarterback that can consistently hit the deep ball.

It's the exact opposite with the Patriots' receivers: we have no pure speedsters and the corners will not be afraid of any Patriots receivers blasting past them if they miss the bump at the line, nor is Brady's deep downfield ball a terrible concern. Obviously, it's the quickness of Edelman that they will be concerned with, and he is a different kind of problem that is hard to solve (and is Gronk).

As a result, I would expect a very different coverage style from the Denver corners than what we saw with Pittsburgh: I would expect a lot more man, a lot more press coverage and disruption at the line because (1) that will disrupt the 2-second Brady releases and the short passing game, and give the Denver pass rush a bit more time, and (2) the corners will be less worried about receivers speeding past them if they play tight man.

Again, that highlights the one core deficiency of our receiver set: the absence of a credible downfield threat to keep the coverage from crowding the short/middle routes in the way that teams like the Jets were able to do. I still wish we could have grabbed Emmanuel Sanders with a better tender: I think he would be spectacular in our offense.

No it just highlights the need for a big fast SE WR . Losing Aaron Dobson hurts as there is no one else save LaFell who earns his keeep with outside mid routes and his tanacious blocking.

Harris looked horrible yesterday, the shoulder injury definitely showed in his poor tackling. I think Harris is a bit overrated anyway, but he does excel at covering Edelman-types, so I won't mind at all if he misses the game. We're dealing with so many injuries that it's about time they got stuck with a significant one.

I hope they're dumb enough to try to put Talib on Edelman, but I'm pretty sure they won't be. More realistically, I bet they'll try to put him on Gronk and dare us to run that way. My guess would be that Roby ends up on Edelman, and given how bad Roby looked (with the exception of the one strip), I bet the Pats will target that matchup all day.

I agree that they'll try to press, but luckily Edelman excels at beating press coverage. Gotta get your hands on a guy before you can jam him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents