PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex Patriots 9-10 performances

My point is they sustained success (obviously not Brady Bill era success) in Baltimore by adjusting when they brought in a new QB. Flacco was jump ball Joe and they built the offense with deep threats and 50/50 ball receivers. When they drafted Lamar they shifted to a ground and pound RPO offense with a focus on running the ball with a bevy of power backs and TE's who make plays in the short yardage game.

Bill has decided that even though Mac doesn't have the physical tools or experience that Brady had he wants to build the roster the same exact way. When your QB doesn't have great arm strength you need to invest in receivers. Tua and Joe Burrow (who does have a better arm than Mac and Tua) don't have the best arms in the world but each of them have a great receiving core and have had success when healthy. Brady was the tide that lifted all boats which really only a handful of truly elite guys can do so Bill could get away with the Brandon Lafell's and Chris Hogan's of the world. Mac needs a guy closer to a Jamar Chase, Tyreek Hill, or a Jaylen Waddle than a Juju Smith-Schuster a Nelson Agholor.

Disagree completely. When your QB is lacking elite passing skills you invest heavily in defense and the run game, to keep possession, limit opposing drives, and play as low scoring games as possible. And that is exactly what he did in Brady’s early years, he didn’t load up at WR. When you have Peyton Manning, Marino, or now a Burrows or Lawrence, you go for elite WR talent, to take advantage of their elite skills and score big points, that’s what they are doing. With Jones you build a team that doesn’t have to rely on 40 points a week to succeed, and that’s what he is building. However once you have the rest of the pieces in place then you start adding more dynamic weapons at the receiving positions.

Former Patriots players always do gooder on their new team
New Patriots from other team always do worser

230nwf.jpg

Disagree completely. When your QB is lacking elite passing skills you invest heavily in defense and the run game, to keep possession, limit opposing drives, and play as low scoring games as possible. And that is exactly what he did in Brady’s early years, he didn’t load up at WR. When you have Peyton Manning, Marino, or now a Burrows or Lawrence, you go for elite WR talent, to take advantage of their elite skills and score big points, that’s what they are doing. With Jones you build a team that doesn’t have to rely on 40 points a week to succeed, and that’s what he is building. However once you have the rest of the pieces in place then you start adding more dynamic weapons at the receiving positions.
Yeah except it isn't working. We're 0-11 when teams score 25 points on us with Mac. 25 points in today's NFL is not a lot.

Yeah except it isn't working. We're 0-11 when teams score 25 points on us with Mac. 25 points in today's NFL is not a lot.

Really? Then why did 25 of the 32 teams average less than 25 points a game last season?

Really? Then why did 25 of the 32 teams average less than 25 points a game last season?
Wouldn't that make it even worse it worse if we still ended up at 8-9 last year?

I
i blame last years offense on Belichick, period. He had Patricia run it, and you could stand in front of the tv and call out the plays before they tried to run them. I believe he made that decision because he knew he was going to hire O’ Brien. and didn’t want to hire outside the organization, and then fire after a season, either way I don’t blame the players, I blame Belichick for a lost season.

I

i blame last years offense on Belichick, period. He had Patricia run it, and you could stand in front of the tv and call out the plays before they tried to run them. I believe he made that decision because he knew he was going to hire O’ Brien. and didn’t want to hire outside the organization, and then fire after a season, either way I don’t blame the players, I blame Belichick for a lost season.
Well I agree that Belichick is solely to blame for last year. Patricia very well could have said no but Bill put him in a terrible position and set him up to fail. Bill also likely could have gotten O'Brien last season. There were rumors O'Brien wanted back in the NFL a couple years ago and he came back this season so why wasn't he here last year? Because Bill didn't want to upset his friend Saban. That to me falls under the category of trading Jimmy to his friend's kid in SF instead of taking, by many accounts, a much more substantial trade package from Cleveland (who Bill may or may not still have an axe to grind). That is the type of thing that drives me nuts because Bill loves to play the "I do what is in the best interest of the team" card when I think there are occasions where Bill does what's in the best interest of Bill.

Well I agree that Belichick is solely to blame for last year. Patricia very well could have said no but Bill put him in a terrible position and set him up to fail. Bill also likely could have gotten O'Brien last season. There were rumors O'Brien wanted back in the NFL a couple years ago and he came back this season so why wasn't he here last year? Because Bill didn't want to upset his friend Saban. That to me falls under the category of trading Jimmy to his friend's kid in SF instead of taking, by many accounts, a much more substantial trade package from Cleveland (who Bill may or may not still have an axe to grind). That is the type of thing that drives me nuts because Bill loves to play the "I do what is in the best interest of the team" card when I think there are occasions where Bill does what's in the best interest of Bill.

Where did you get reports of teams other than S.F. Offering more for Garrapolo? And where did you get reports that O’ Brien wanted to leave Alabama last year? I have never seen any evidence of either.

Where did you get reports of teams other than S.F. Offering more for Garrapolo? And where did you get reports that O’ Brien wanted to leave Alabama last year? I have never seen any evidence of either.
Barnwell: The Jimmy G trade dominoes

NFL executives suggested the Patriots would get a first-round pick in a Garoppolo deal. The Pats were reportedly asking for two first-round picks, but were willing to settle for the first overall pick. The Pats reportedly turned down an overture from the Browns during the first round of the draft for Garoppolo.

Why Browns had no chance for Garoppolo -- Pluto

Truth is: The Browns (and everyone else but San Francisco) never had a chance to discuss a Garoppolo deal. I know that Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

Schefter: Garoppolo Traded To 49ers Because They Would "Do Right" By Him

As for Billy O there was Breer's report in November 2022 that O'Brien wanted to be an OC in the NFL again and namely New England.

Albert Breer explained why Bill O'Brien could return to the Patriots in 2023

There was also the report from Seth Wickersham in 2021 about Billy O engineering his way out of Houston because the thought there was a chance he could end up coaching in New England again and potentially taking over for Bill.

Bill O'Brien was trying to get fired by Texans to take over for Bill Belichick in New England, book reveals

Obviously no one will ever know for sure but I have a hard time believing that if Bill picked up the phone in the spring of 2022 and asked Bill O'Brien to be his OC last year that Billy O would have turned him down.

Barnwell: The Jimmy G trade dominoes

NFL executives suggested the Patriots would get a first-round pick in a Garoppolo deal. The Pats were reportedly asking for two first-round picks, but were willing to settle for the first overall pick. The Pats reportedly turned down an overture from the Browns during the first round of the draft for Garoppolo.

Why Browns had no chance for Garoppolo -- Pluto

Truth is: The Browns (and everyone else but San Francisco) never had a chance to discuss a Garoppolo deal. I know that Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

Schefter: Garoppolo Traded To 49ers Because They Would "Do Right" By Him

As for Billy O there was Breer's report in November 2022 that O'Brien wanted to be an OC in the NFL again and namely New England.

Albert Breer explained why Bill O'Brien could return to the Patriots in 2023

There was also the report from Seth Wickersham in 2021 about Billy O engineering his way out of Houston because the thought there was a chance he could end up coaching in New England again and potentially taking over for Bill.

Bill O'Brien was trying to get fired by Texans to take over for Bill Belichick in New England, book reveals

Obviously no one will ever know for sure but I have a hard time believing that if Bill picked up the phone in the spring of 2022 and asked Bill O'Brien to be his OC last year that Billy O would have turned him down.

Fair enough, good job backing it up.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back